Question for Watson (JohnG) or others

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi JohnG

You seem to be the Guru for X-Trails so to save me having to contact my local dealer do you happen to know what the torque settings should be for the wheel nuts on an X-Trail? There seems to be nothing in the handbook about it.

Hope you or someone else can help.

Regards

John M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again

I've found it in the handbook for the new model under INSTALLING THE WHEEL section 6-6

It says Wheel nut tightening torque

108Nm or 80ft lb

On my torque wrench 80 and 90 are close together !!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for your help. I had, in fact, used the caravan wheel torque as a guide but wnated to be a bit more accurate if I could have been. Of course, most people just use the wheel brace so the torque can be very variable, even on the same vehicle and you don't often hear of wheels coming off !!.

Thanks again

John M

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your welcome

Its not uncommon on caravans and we lost a wheel last year

I had checked the van bolts with the torque wrench the night before setting off as I always do .We got 12 miles down the road and the wheel came off never to be seen again

I now check before setting off as I think that the bolts had been tampered with the night before

We had had a visit from a lady selling at the door the day before!!

When I rang the insurance they said that its always the nearside wheel and showed no surprise at all

I once had a car wheel losen after new tyres had been fitted but you get more sense of vibration etc with the car

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Have you noticed that tyre dealers generally don't bother checking the wheelnut torque when they fit new tyres? Whatever torque the air-gun is set to has to do for every vehicle around! Just once in 40 years has a tyre dealer used a torque wrench on my cars.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not really very surprising that the tyre dealers use a 'one-size-fits-all' setting on their power tools, because the generally the thread size and pitch of the bolts are fairly standard throughout the industry, as are the materials to be bolted together (steel thread and steel wheel - quality alloy wheels also have steel sleeve inserts where they are bolted). That being the case, the torques will also be the same in almost every application.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts