RAC membership

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
I have RAC personal cover for roadside and recovery but cant find if I'm covered towing a caravan. Any ideas please ?

TIA. peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The obvious answer is to contact the RAC to check your cover, but I would surmise that if your documentation does not mention towing, then I would assume your present cover does not cover towing.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
While you are at it, clarify what exactly is covered when you are towing. Some companies will cover the car while it is towing but not the caravan or may have quite a restricted caravan length covered. Read the small print.
Mel

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve a brother in law who is getting near to 70, when he passed his driving test at 17 his father payed to buy him a lifetime membership of the AA, with every extra that they had at the time and from then on any new extra that the AA added that people could pay to add on their subscription he got added at no extra cost, I can’t remember what it cost his father but it’s saved him a fortune having to add things like home start, hotel if they need when waiting for repairs, I think the AA stopped offering the lifetime sub long ago to anyone but they still honour the terms to anyone who bought it years ago.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm pretty sure RAC recovery includes a caravan if you're towing at the time, but must admit I haven't checked my T&Cs for a while so I'll go and have a look as Prof suggests

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm pretty sure RAC recovery includes a caravan if you're towing at the time, but must admit I haven't checked my T&Cs for a while so I'll go and have a look as Prof suggests
It almost certainly depends on the specific type of cover you have purchased. They might have offered a cheaper option if you didn't want trailer cover, but the only way to be certain is to check the details of the cover you have.

The RAC like some of the other recovery services do special deals with some insurance companies, and again you would have to check the details to see if it covers trailers.

Reactions: oldun

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Check what length of caravan they will recover. Also check if they will recover the caravan if it is the caravan breaks down not the car. The likelihood of the caravan breaking down is small but we all hear stories of wheels coming off or brakes sticking on.
Mel

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been with RAC for years, when we bought our caravan we added "arrival' to our RAC policy and joined the Camping and Caravanning Club - happy for the peace of mind it gives us see this link for what you get included: https://www.rac.co.uk/breakdown-cover/caravanandmotorhome

To help with the original question, conventional RAC UK breakdown cover doesn't cover large caravans and motorhomes that exceed 3.5 tonnes, 6.4 metres long including tow bar, 2.55 metres wide and 3 metres high OK for lots of people, BUT: when you are towing, RAC conventional breakdown cover will not recover you if the fault is with your caravan, only if the fault is with your towing vehicle.
Hope this helps.
Wayne

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Yep, I've finally managed to check (couldn't find my docs so had to wait for RAC to send a new set...which I've now saved electronically like I should have done in the first place!)

I've got Rescue and recovery membership - if the car breaks down they'll repair and/or recover the car and caravan. If the caravan develops a fault they'll repair at the roadside if they can but not recover. All within the size parameters as described by WayneS above.

I can't add Arrival (which adds recovery if the caravan breaks down) as I'm a member of the CAMC not the C&CC, and I don't want to join for the comparatively small gain. I'll live with what I have and accept the risk until RAC is due for renewal, then switch to Green Flag.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The standard RAC cover for caravans is a bit lightweight and excludes recovery of the caravan when that is on site and the car is being used which could be a problem. We have always used the CAMH Mayday service and have had no problems, although we have never had to have the caravan recovered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts