Ranger Rover or Audi Q7

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, any advice on the two mentioned cars would be good. We need to replace our current tug, a Porsche Cayenne which is far far too gernerous on the old petrol. I would like to here from anyone who has towed with these cars and their opnions. I really like the Audi and have been offered a good deal on the new sport model. Still unsure.

Thanks in advance

Tony

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Range Rover as it is the real 4x4, however these are rather hard on the juice as well. Is the Audi Q7 really a different car than the Cayenne? I know the Cayenne is basically a WV 4x4 rebadged, and as Audis are just VWs with a different badge and a bigger price sticker it could be that under the skin the Q7 is just the same thing (but I don't know this for sure).

Mar 15, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Range Rover as it is the real 4x4, however these are rather hard on the juice as well. Is the Audi Q7 really a different car than the Cayenne? I know the Cayenne is basically a WV 4x4 rebadged, and as Audis are just VWs with a different badge and a bigger price sticker it could be that under the skin the Q7 is just the same thing (but I don't know this for sure).
Hi William, Good point about the Audi. However the main plus points over the Range rover and Porsche for me are.

1- the Aui is diesel.

2- It has seven seats.

My wife has the new Freelander and its a really great car. So i do like the feel of Land/Range rovers.

Decisions

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Surely you can get a Diesel Range Rover?

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello tony,

cant comment on the q7, but we did very nearly buy one, with a very good discount,(sister-in-law works for audi) but went for the discovery 3 instead. one of the main factors was as said before, the landrover is a 4x4, and the q7 is a car on stilts, the other main problem was the cost of tyres(audi) ive forgotten how much but it is very often they need changing, might be worth asking your dealer, its quite bad really. a friend of ours has one, and i warned him about the tyres, and he wont talk to me now, because i wind him up, both lovely cars though, i preffered the discovery to the range rover, personal choice, thats all. whatever you choose it will be your choice, i wouldnt say no to any of them if i had them given. ED

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Proper off-roaders are fine - if you want to go proper off-roading - otherwise stick to an on-road car.

I'd go for the Audi, much better on-road.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Looked at both last year.

Q7 a very big and wide car which was a pain in car parks,the height of the boot is very poor you couldnt stand an under the counter fridge in it( we take one to the south of France in the summer)and a high lift to get things in the boot.Has a thirst for tyres,Audi were replacing them under warranty as they were doing less than 10k miles,and are

G

I think many here know that I wouldn't buy a Range Rover or LR badged car if they were giving a 100% purchase price cashback deal! But I promissed to be good, nuff said.

Coming from a Porsche and as few owners take 50k plus of 4x4 tin mud plugging and the car is being bought for caravan towing I'd forget the RR for road and towing use, Q7 is a more apt real deal 4x4. We have his n hers diesel 4.2 Q7's and both are great tow cars. We use a Cayenne in Dubai and if that's what you know I can't see that a RR is going to make you happy.

The Audi is a great tow car and superb road car unlike the RR in comparison. The 4.2 diesel makes a RR look slug like and has performance more like the Porsche. Tyre wear can be an issue for some, but if you can afford the car you should be able to afford the tyres and the performance that comes with them.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Tony

I tow with a Range Rover Sport, 2.7 HSE. the caravan is a Compass Rallye 650 with a MTPLM of 1900kg.

It tows great, and I can get 24 MPG on a run.

it sets off from still like a train, the low down torque is exceptional.

Paul.M.

G

I take it you mean a slow train.

About 12 seconds to 60mph, plus its quite a lardy car for its actual cabin size.

"Sport" is questionable. It's pulling power is nothing special either.

Audi have a newmore frugal lean burn updated Q7 3.0 diesel on the way (not sure when it hits UK). More roomy for family caravanning and sportier than the sport solo and with more grunt.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi tony

just on a personal note.....i would not go for any of them,personally i would go for a japanese 4x4,much more reliable and long lasting.....but thats just me :)

hgv dave

G

I've had some fun in ultra reliable Toyota's but all our German 4x4's have been fault free and reliable and with performance that the Japanese can't compete with on road or towing.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Don't rule out the Audi A8 or the VW Phaeton.

Don't forget they are both 4x4 (or at least each VW model is) weigh 2.2 tonnes and so are well capable of towing a large twin axle. The VW build quality is second to none and I've driven or owned all of the big three german marques.

The deals on the VW are almost criminal.

3.0 tdi Auto, 0-60 is about 8.5 secs so its not slow

Come on Tony, let us know what you did....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts