Read the owner's manual!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Duh! Fell into that trap of not reading the owner's manual properly! Our previous 2012 Jeep had an Eco mode. You press the Eco button and when it was lit it was in Eco mode. On the 2018 Jeep it is the other way around. When you press the Eco button to light it up, you are disengaging the Eco mode. Guess what I have been doing for the past 10 months.

I only found out by accident that I was doing it wrong as someone else on a Jeep forum was querying the Sport mode and I mentioned that when I engaged the Sport mode, the Eco light automatically came on which did not make sense. I was then told that since the 2016 model it had changed and when Eco button lit it was disengaged! On reading the 400 page owner's manual I found the sentence.

Actually when towing and engaging the Sport mode, my economy seem to improve marginally by 1-2 mpg from about 21mpg to about 23mpg. Someone suggested it was because the vehicle was not changing gears as often? The Jeep has 8 forward gears.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Duh! Fell into that trap of not reading the owner's manual properly! Our previous 2012 Jeep had an Eco mode. You press the Eco button and when it was lit it was in Eco mode. On the 2018 Jeep it is the other way around. When you press the Eco button to light it up, you are disengaging the Eco mode. Guess what I have been doing for the past 10 months.

I only found out by accident that I was doing it wrong as someone else on a Jeep forum was querying the Sport mode and I mentioned that when I engaged the Sport mode, the Eco light automatically came on which did not make sense. I was then told that since the 2016 model it had changed and when Eco button lit it was disengaged! On reading the 400 page owner's manual I found the sentence.

Actually when towing and engaging the Sport mode, my economy seem to improve marginally by 1-2 mpg from about 21mpg to about 23mpg. Someone suggested it was because the vehicle was not changing gears as often? The Jeep has 8 forward gears.
Might also be that your engine is in a more optimum Rev/torque range when towing and in Sport mode. My autos have shown that trend, but only on normal roads as on motorways normal modes were fine.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
At least you lot have a decent manual, the one for my Volvo is in the infotainment centre so you have to view it through various menus and to be honest, a lot of it is so vague it assumes you know the answer to half the question anyway! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site

Surprised you didn't notice difference. With my car Sport mode holds lower gears longer and shifts down more willingly. Definitely useful on hilly terrain when towing or driving hard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Surprised you didn't notice difference. With my car Sport mode holds lower gears longer and shifts down more willingly. Definitely useful on hilly terrain when towing or driving hard.
I did notice the difference hence my last paragraph. Also improved economy when travelling on our UK twisty windy A roads. I think in future I will only be using the Eco mode when travelling solo on dual carriageways or motorways.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I did notice the difference hence my last paragraph. Also improved economy when travelling on our UK twisty windy A roads. I think in future I will only be using the Eco mode when travelling solo on dual carriageways or motorways.
I tried the eco mode on my Santa Fe, going from Milton Keynes to York , about 250 miles ISH , using Eco on the way back, it made a slight better fuel consumption . But it is down hill.
I think if you are really soft on the acceleration you will get a better result.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts