Really bad stains all over NEW caravan after taking cover off - HELP!!!!!

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
We didnt realise you shouldnt leave the cover on over winter (we do now!!!) and now have a caravan that looks like its got oily paw prints all over it. Our Aldi Caravon cleaner doesnt touch it, even neat with lots of 'elbow grease' - HELP!!! Its only 14 months old!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I thought the idea of the cover WAS to leave it on over winter?
Wouldn't consider using one my self.
Have you contacted the supplier for advice?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Used Mr Sheen earlier today on the van ready to trade in next weekend, cleared all the black streaks effortlessly ,as FG has said give it a go, cant do any harm.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Kev I agree with your posting and also may I just add I have just bought a waterless cleaner and found it very good on black streaks.
Cost Her Ladyship a tenner off ebay.
Not the first bad report of caravan covers up here in Northants .
Sir Roger

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
SirRogerFartingtonFortesqueSmyth said:
Kev I agree with your posting and also may I just add I have just bought a waterless cleaner and found it very good on black streaks.
Cost Her Ladyship a tenner off ebay.
Not the first bad report of caravan covers up here in Northants .
Sir Roger

Now then Sir Rog, something wrong somewhere, a tenner for a cleaner when Mr Sheen ia a couple of quid (I dont know how much Mr Sheen is cos I never ever shop, all down to ladygaga)
Dont let LB read this as you are wasting all the money he is lending you and you will get no more.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Even better, there you go Sir Rog get the cheapest on the shelf.
smiley-smile.gif

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fibe
I've never used Mr Sheen to clean black streaks off so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. I strongly advise you to wash the caravan down before rubbing the paintwork because any gritty residue will scratch your paintwork or windows if you neglect this important step.
You could then use Mr Sheen, Fenwicks, Muc Off or any proprietary caravan cleaner to remove the black streaks and marks.

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Nope sadly that has not worked. The marks are definatly not surface dirt related - they almost look metalic and look as if they may be where the cover touched the van (a bit like a tie die effect!) The cover manufacturer (SCC) says it will be due to an excess of polish from when it was new (we certainly havnt polished it!! - but that sounds bonkers!) and recommends t cuting but things Ive read elsewhere make that sound like not a good idea..... I may try to post some pictures if that is possible. Any other ideas or similar experinces???

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Car polish ( as opposed to wax) is mildly abrasive and won't damage your paintwork.
You could try using good car polish such as Meguiars or Auto Glym (on a small test area first). It would seem that the cover has somehow dyed the surface underneath and old polish will have to be removed.
Have a look Here for suitable products, if polish won't restore the surface a clay bar used with detailing spray ought to do the trick. After you have polished the marks out a good quality wax (products containing carnauba wax are good) will protect the surface paintwork of your caravan and make it easier to keep clean. Don't forget to wash down and dry the caravan before polishing to remove gritty particles!

Reactions: JezzerB
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Fibe, you say they almost look metalic, have you looked inside the cover and seen if there is any evidence of paint on the inside of the cover, think you will find that the paint finish on a van is nowhere near the quality of say a car.
Are you certain that the marks are on the surface and not ingrained into the paint work?

On another note when I resealed my awning rails I used a wet wipe product made by Everbuild, it was easier and more effective than white spirit, white spirit does tend to take the paint off if rubbed too hard.
After using the wet wipe I cleaned with Meths.
If you try this product PLEASE first use in a hidden and small area, but also suggest you wait for more replies to give a few more alternatives.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well I have just been into my bag of goodies(cleaning Kit), I purchased a few years ago a small white tub filled with a white paste , which is used mainly for cleaning the external hulls of boats, excellent cleaner for removing the most stubborn of black streaks, but alas the label is now longer on it, My local Dealer sells it, so I presume local dealer in your area would do likewise.
I purchased my caravan second hand , The previous owner had bought a well known brand of cover,which has remained in my garage untill I dispose of the van.
The problem I discovered with fitting of the caravan cover was that it had scratched severall windows, with the chafing only really noticed when the sun is full on them

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Phone your dealer and ask him to sell you some of the "stuff" they use, back in 2004 when i collected my then new caravan, the plonkers had managed to scratch the two front corners, he used some "stuff" to remove it, it was only available to the trade.

I would give them a call.
And wouldn't use T cut, it removes paint.
I can recommend Auto glym polish, its expensive but very good, i use it on the car.
Never polished a caravan, just wash and wax, car wash.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Royston said:
Well I have just been into my bag of goodies(cleaning Kit), I purchased a few years ago a small white tub filled with a white paste , which is used mainly for cleaning the external hulls of boats, excellent cleaner for removing the most stubborn of black streaks, but alas the label is now longer on it, My local Dealer sells it, so I presume local dealer in your area would do likewise............
The tub might have contained a product called Silky which is white paste in a tub.

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you put the cover on whilst van was wet ?I once did likewise and the cover sticks.I used Autoglym paint renovator which got rid of most of it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Parksy, that is the product Silky, its very very good, does not scratch, but i always rinse of with water after removing the stains, prior to polishing my van .
I must also add I only use it when the black streaks are not removable with the normal range of products.

Royston

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We have a caravan cover, and leave it on all winter - it's now into the second (very cold and wet) winter, and we've just uncovered it again at the weekend, to find it as pristine and clean (and unmarked) as when we put it away. Our cover was a cheapy version from ebay, which is waterproof, but breathable, and has a sort of softish cotton lining. We're really pleased with it, and it definitely doesn't scratch or mark the van in any way. Don't let this post put anyone covering their caravan - it's the most fantastic feeling when you take the cover off and see the van shining and clean, with no rain streaks, black marks, algae staining, or dust anywhere at all.
We did the usual checks of the van - moved it a little to take the weight on a different area of the tyes, hand-brake on and off to make sure it was still greased and functioning, checked the steadies and the wheel clamp, did a walk around outside to check for anything untoward, then a look at all the hidden corners inside to make sure nothing was hiding away (damp, rodents, etc)., moved the cushions around a bit inside the van, and turned some over, checked the battery and the gas supply, put some water through the pump and drained everything again, and then covered it back up again until next time!

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
I use a cheapy cover each winter & have no problems.The problem you describe was reported several times a couple of years ago & it was one of the dearer makes that was at fault unfortunatly I cannot remember the outcome except that removing the marks completly was near impossible
The makers suggestion that to much polish is the cause is Cr#p. Personaly i would be talking to a solicitor as your cover seems not fit for use
the recommendation is to wash & wax the caravan before you put the cover on.
if you are aCC or C&CC member,or have legal cover with you home or car insurers have a word with them

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Thaks all - I am begining to think it IS aluminumum showing through - hard to work out what to do next (caravan and cover manfacturer will not be helpful I predict!) so thanks for idea of C&C club - we are with them. You are right it was a custom made expensive fitted one. We didnt have any problems with old soft baggy one on our previous caravan - but then it wouldnt have mattered either because it was over 20 years old!!!

Will update on our outcome - if anyone can link to thread of previous outcomes, much appreciated (I have had a search to no avail).

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Fibe
I found a couple of forum pages about damage caused by caravan covers Here but the end result was inconclusive I'm afraid.
If I were you I'd take pictures of the damage first of all and contact the cover manufacturer to see what their response will be. Did you clean the caravan before you fitted the cover? Was the cover fastened securely at all times when it was in use? You could contact the C&CC to ask for advice and check your caravan insurance policy to find out if your policy covers this sort of damage.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
Royston said:
Well I have just been into my bag of goodies(cleaning Kit), I purchased a few years ago a small white tub filled with a white paste , which is used mainly for cleaning the external hulls of boats, excellent cleaner for removing the most stubborn of black streaks, but alas the label is now longer on it, My local Dealer sells it, so I presume local dealer in your area would do likewise............
The tub might have contained a product called Silky which is white paste in a tub.

No not Silky i can buy that, had some for years.

He said it was trade only.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Fibe Why don"t you try this on your van Fenwick"s Superior Caravan Cleaner i use this on my van it always goes way lovely and clean and we also have a winter cover on Val it says on the side of Cleaner Guaranteed to remove Black Streaks - Diesel , Rust & Drainage Stains, Algae - Moss - Fungus Road and Traffic Film Etc . I hope this helps you .

TRENDING THREADS