really exited and ....

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
7 sleeps to go!!

as some of you may know, i'm new to caravanning and me, wife, 5yr old daughter and 3yr old niece are off on our first trip next w/end.

were only off to cleethorpes for 2 nights. the van is and oldish one but its our first trip as a family and the daughter loves camping!!

all is set, i hope i havnt forgot anything and i hope i can work out how to reverse into the pitch but i'm sure i'll find some unsuspecting caravanner to sort things out if i get flummaxed.

oh and i think i'm more exited than the kids!!!!!

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Well done Gav, nice to see someone else that count's down to nights away, both my husband and I do it.

Hope you really enjoy caravaning, its great just to break free and get away.

The question is have you named your van yet?? And yes we have done that also!!!

Di & Andy

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Gav good luck on your outing ,just take things as they come .

Reversing was my headache I took a little tip from a lorry driver when you see the van in your mirrirs then down and out ie if you see van moving across nearside mirror turn wheel left and van will go opposite way

Good Luck Sir Roger

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy your first outing Gav, make a list on your computer and print one off when you are getting the caravan ready for a trip to minimise the amount of stuff that you will forget to take.

The thing to do with reversing is take your time, use very small steering inputs and don't be afraid to pull forward and have another go or gain a better angle. Keep the kids safely in the car and ask your wife to watch behind you for unseen obstacles, children, bicycles etc.

Have a look at this website which might help:

http://www.uktow.com/reversing.asp

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
di, i'm a kid at heart, actually 4 years old not the 33 that's on my birth certificate, even my daughter gets fed up of me bieng excited and she's 5!!!

i don't tend to name vehicles, well not names that are printable!!

chris, i'm off to the showground in meggies. i see you are familiar with the place! i used to spend summer hols up there and still love the place. happy days!!

as for reversing roger, father in law is a lorry driver and can reverse the van within mm's he has tried to show me but it hasnt sunk in yet, just waiting for that eureaka moment. hopefully nxt w/end!!

i'll have a peek at that site parksy

cheers all

6 sleeps to go!!!

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
I guess every one gets excited about a new venture.

We certainly do, we are only in our second year of caravan ownership and to date this year have spent 37 nights (which includes 3 weeks in France) in it and we are counting down to next weekend when we have another 2 nights away.

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
we'll probably not get too many nights this year but as soon as the weather picks up nxt year we'll be away every w/end!!!

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
well, theres about half a sleep to go(just got in from work) and i'm beside my self with excitement!!!!

will post the results of my first caravan trip after the weekend.

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you will.

One thing about reversing, I have had two caravans that didn't have the Alko chasis, on the Alko the mechanism sort of disconnects the brakes automatically when reversing. On the other two vans I had to move a lever thingy over on the hitch to stop the brakes coming on when reversing.

Jim

Gav

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
well folks just got home about half hour a go, no dramas whatsoever.

reversing isn't hard, i got it after the third attempt, i even reversed the van onto the drive!!!!

levelling the van was a bit of a bind as i didnt have a level and had to use a bottle of water, old trick i used to use with a pan when leveling cookers and couldnt be arsed to dig the level out of the van(ex plumber)!! ive bought one for the caravan now!!!

could do with a set of them wheel leveler blocks.

everything worked, toilet was excellent and saved trips to the site toilet during the night!! putting the beds up was a pain with two tired kids, suppose i should do it earlier next time.

all in all a very good w/end and i'm thinking of going again before the winter sets in!!!

so i'm now officially a caravanner!!! lol!!!!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Gav, dont worry about the winter, we caravan all year round, infact this will be out 4th xmas and new year away in the van, its great

Glad your first trip went well

happy caravanning

Kevin

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
HI Gav

Glad all went well with 1st trip, welcome the the happy world of caravaning.

Don't worry about winter we are having Indian summer so can get a few more trips in before it gets to bad.

We are also thinking of going out for the New Year for the first time!!

Di

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts