Receiving Satellite TV on Laptop

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Can any one tell me how to receive satellite tv on my laptop? I have an AVerTV USB TV tuner which works fine on terrestrial TV. I receive good TV on the portable TV from the satellite set (one of Lidl's). Thanks for any advice.

Alan

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
What sort of connections do you have on your TV adapter, last year I ran a Hauppage USB adapter with a laptop and used the same satellite kit as you but from Maplins.

As there is no rf output from the satellite box I had to adapt a scart to phono lead to connect to the phono outputs on the adapter - it is less complicated than it sounds - the scart to phono leads that are sold off the shelf seem to be wired to output to a scart from rca phono plugs and you require it the other way round.

If you want to tackle it - reply and I will try and post a link to the Hauppage help pages where I believe my solution is still posted (lots of people were asking the same question at the same time as I was looking for the answer).

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Here is my post from the time on the Hauppage forum

"I was having trouble sorting out connections from freeview to WinTV USB and managed to sort it using the following.

Use scart to composite lead - these off the shelf leads seem to be configured to input information from a source with composite to a destination with scart (i.e. camcorder to video or TV) this is not what we want but can be changed as follows.

The cable I used was scart composite to 2 x phono plugs

Look for a scart socket that comes apart (not moulded) look for a screw collar and then they just snap apart.

for the audio I used a phono to DIN adaptor and for the video the phono to SVideo adaptor that came with the card.

If you do not have the audio adapter use the lead from an old set of headphones.

You can either resolder or just pop the pins out from the back by pressing in the small protrusion on the pin and connect them as follows

AUDIO

Scart Pin 1 Audio right out

Scart Pin 3 Audio left out (for mono both mine are connected together but I believe 3 is the norm) - These should connect through to the centre connector on the phono or audio in plug

Scart Pin 4 Audio return - Connects to outer on audio in plug

VIDEO

Scart Pin 17 Composite video out return (outer of phono plug)

Scart Pin 19 Composite video out (centre of phono plug)

After setting up the channel as Composite/SVideo I have mono sound and reasonable colour from the freeview box .

This is nowhere near as complicated as it sounds - have a go."

Oct 12, 2006
Visit site
Here is my post from the time on the Hauppage forum

"I was having trouble sorting out connections from freeview to WinTV USB and managed to sort it using the following.

Use scart to composite lead - these off the shelf leads seem to be configured to input information from a source with composite to a destination with scart (i.e. camcorder to video or TV) this is not what we want but can be changed as follows.

The cable I used was scart composite to 2 x phono plugs

Look for a scart socket that comes apart (not moulded) look for a screw collar and then they just snap apart.

for the audio I used a phono to DIN adaptor and for the video the phono to SVideo adaptor that came with the card.

If you do not have the audio adapter use the lead from an old set of headphones.

You can either resolder or just pop the pins out from the back by pressing in the small protrusion on the pin and connect them as follows

AUDIO

Scart Pin 1 Audio right out

Scart Pin 3 Audio left out (for mono both mine are connected together but I believe 3 is the norm) - These should connect through to the centre connector on the phono or audio in plug

Scart Pin 4 Audio return - Connects to outer on audio in plug

VIDEO

Scart Pin 17 Composite video out return (outer of phono plug)

Scart Pin 19 Composite video out (centre of phono plug)

After setting up the channel as Composite/SVideo I have mono sound and reasonable colour from the freeview box .

This is nowhere near as complicated as it sounds - have a go."
Thanks for your advice, Garry.

I found a SCART adaptor with 3 RCA sockets and Inut/Output switch in my box of goodies and also a 3way RCA/RCA cable. Works beautifully on Composite setting.

Alan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts