Recently purchased a Fiami caravanstor zip

Sep 15, 2021
Visit site
I watched the erection video and was convinced of it's merits.
My first few attempts have not been straight forward . Opening the canopy is easy enough but the legs are sometimes not easy to put up. I've reread the instructions but I'm struggling to get the hinges to release the rafter bars. Sometimes straight forward another time not so. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? I also find rolling the blind up is quite heavy for me on my own, and you have to make sure the canvas is tightly rolled otherwise it is too bulky and you have to repeat the operation.
I like the concept but I think the video oversimplified the operation.
I would have preferred the wind down version with a pole but my van walls weren't suitable the newer alutech build is needed. I have come to the conclusion it's expensive for what it is. Also disappointed to find a made in China on one item !

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t have the same problem separating the leg from the rafter. But there is definitely a knack to the erection. Best done with two people.

Lower and hold out.
Extract legs and put feet on the ground
Raise about 18 inches
Locate one rafter and lock in
Same with the next rafter
Adjust and tighten

The problem I have is the spring nipples not locating as they should, I have replaced one which broke. They need checking that they are in the right position by pulling out the extending part of the rafter, and making sure the end is pushed fully home and the nipple is operating properly.

I have the very big one, 3.4 metres if I remember. I recently discovered that one of these

1631694360980.jpeg
which makes putting ot away sooo much easier.

I am considering upgrading to a wind out, the Dometic can bond to the van roof spreading the load and leaving thee awning channel free.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don’t have the same problem separating the leg from the rafter. But there is definitely a knack to the erection. Best done with two people.

Lower and hold out.
Raise about 18 inches
Adjust and tighten

The problem I have is the spring nipples not locating as they should, I have replaced one which broke. They need checking that they are in the right position by pulling out the extending part of the rafter, and making sure the end is pushed fully home and the nipple is operating properly.

I have the very big one, 3.4 metres if I remember. I recently discovered that one of these

View attachment 2287

I am considering upgrading to a wind out, the Dometic can bond to the van roof spreading the load and leaving thee awning channel free.

John
Hi John would the wind out one be a lot easier then i will have a look at one and see what difference in price :cool:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi John would the wind out one be a lot easier then i will have a look at one and see what difference in price :cool:

Big difference in price. But a lot easier in my opinion. You would also need to check if your van can take the weight and what fitting is recommended. Look at Roseawnings for more info and pictures. They do a fitting service but they are not the only ones. They have good pictures on their site.

Also, when you part with your van the brackets would have to be left on the roof.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Big difference in price. But a lot easier in my opinion. You would also need to check if your van can take the weight and what fitting is recommended. Look at Roseawnings for more info and pictures. They do a fitting service but they are not the only ones. They have good pictures on their site.

Also, when you part with your van the brackets would have to be left on the roof.

John
Hi John well we could wait until we upgrade to a 4 berth and save up for it and thanks for link nice pictures :)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
We considered which brand and which version for some time before choosing the Thule Omnistore. (type1200). Same sort of thing as the Fiamma Caravanstore. We have used the Omnistore a few times now and are getting the hang of it. I am 5'6" and my wife is 5'3", and wer'e in our 70's. I knew we were not going to be tall enough, so modified a (2 step) stepladder to give a height of 50cm for me to safely step on to while rolling/unrolling the last bit of the canvas. My wife helps by using the caravan step to support one end of the roll. Folding the legs and engaging the rafters is the tricky bit for me, as the location is so high up, and I am nervous about crunching the side of the caravan with the rafter. We are quite OK with it though, after 3 or 4 times using it. Ours is the 3.0M version and weighs 10Kg. We like it and think it's a good piece of kit. We will buy an end blocker for our France tour next year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

Lower and hold out.
Raise about 18 inches
Adjust and tighten

View attachment 2287

John
A very handy item to own

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
We have the almost identical layout to that Beachball(Unicorn Cadiz),although our wardrobe is in the washroom,and on your photo,the tall fridge is where it shows the wardrobe.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Correction to post #2. I said we were looking at a Dometic as it could be bonded to the roof. Should have said Thule Omnistor. It was a couple of years ago we looked.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Lower and hold out.
Raise about 18 inches
Adjust and tighten

View attachment 2287

John
Friends of ours had an electric one fitted to their motorhome and it woudl wind out okay however then setting it up became a major problem as instructions were very sparse. I think they only used it once before selling the motorhome. It was a make that I had never heard of which is probably why it was cheaper than other known brand makes and they woudl travel from Kent to Worcester to do the fitment.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Friends of ours had an electric one fitted to their motorhome and it woudl wind out okay however then setting it up became a major problem as instructions were very sparse. I think they only used it once before selling the motorhome. It was a make that I had never heard of which is probably why it was cheaper than other known brand makes and they woudl travel from Kent to Worcester to do the fitment.

The Thule I am looking at has an electric option. I think it’s unnecessary, I crave for the wind out.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Thule I am looking at has an electric option. I think it’s unnecessary, I crave for the wind out.

John
I think the electric option is the better choice. Our friend's issue was with connecting the sides, but he had more money than sense and it was their first MH. LOL!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I think the electric option on the Thule can be added latter if wanted. But looking it others, the wind out seems easy enough.

John

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Be careful to identify the weight of the model you are interested in, I mean for the length you want. The wind out versions are a good bit heavier than the roll-out version. The long ones are around 20KG.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Be careful to identify the weight of the model you are interested in, I mean for the length you want. The wind out versions are a good bit heavier than the roll-out version. The long ones are around 20KG.

Good point, but I think they start at 20 kg and. A 4.5 metre is about 33!

John

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
We have the Fiamma version and I nearly always set it up single handed whilst my wife is setting up inside. Unroll, move to one end carefully lowering the other, pull out leg and place on ground close to van, so its at a steep angle. Move to other end and repeat. Lift and extend rafter into its slot, repeat other end and set up leg vertically and higher than needed, repeat other end. Tension rafters, lower legs to desired height.
This normally take 5 minutes. The privacy tent takes another 15.

Stowage is the reverse, using the steps. I'm 6' and they're OK, my wife would struggle to reach that high on them at 5'6".

We're so happy with it we've bought a 4m to replace the current 3.1 meter, which will now be sold. The 310 weight 11kg, the new one 13.2kg.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have the Fiamma version and I nearly always set it up single handed whilst my wife is setting up inside. Unroll, move to one end carefully lowering the other, pull out leg and place on ground close to van, so its at a steep angle. Move to other end and repeat. Lift and extend rafter into its slot, repeat other end and set up leg vertically and higher than needed, repeat other end. Tension rafters, lower legs to desired height.
This normally take 5 minutes. The privacy tent takes another 15.

Stowage is the reverse, using the steps. I'm 6' and they're OK, my wife would struggle to reach that high on them at 5'6".

We're so happy with it we've bought a 4m to replace the current 3.1 meter, which will now be sold. The 310 weight 11kg, the new one 13.2kg.
Sounds like i would have no trouble putting this item up i am 6ft 5ins tall

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like i would have no trouble putting this item up i am 6ft 5ins tall

Your height will be a great advantage for sure. I am at a disadvantage as I am a mean 5’8”. But I have the 4.2 m Fiamma, the heaviest.

Since buying the work platform, putting the Fiamma away has become a lot easier. But the other advantage the wind out has is the speed of closing if bad weather is due. But it has a cost in terms of extra expence and more weight.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Your height will be a great advantage for sure. I am at a disadvantage as I am a mean 5’8”. But I have the 4.2 m Fiamma, the heaviest.

Since buying the work platform, putting the Fiamma away has become a lot easier. But the other advantage the wind out has is the speed of closing if bad weather is due. But it has a cost in terms of extra expence and more weight.

John
Hi John what the smallest length can you get and how heavy is it ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts