Recommend a site in East Lothian?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good site in East Lothian, perhaps around the North Berwick/ Dunbar area?

We were hoping to go to the C.C.'s Yellowcraig site for three nights over a weekend in two weeks time but when I phoned today it is fully booked.

I have had a look at the websites of Drum Mhor, Tantallon and Bellhaven. Anyone visited any of these recently or able to recommend any others.

Site does not need to have clubhouse or entertainment,looking for clean and tidy site, good toilet and shower block,preferably near the coast.

Robert

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rob, We have been to Drum Mohr several times and are off there in a week.

This is a really family run site with a central play park and a good little shop.

If you are lucky you can get a pitch with views over the firth of forth.

Having said that like all Edinburgh sites this time of year they are nearly all full so getting booked may be tough.

Regards John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
agree yellow craigs would be my first choice,maybe consider thurston manor,dunbar,tourers are well away from statics,need car for beach though,pitches have sea views,hope this is of some help

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
What about the C&CC site at Barns Ness!

Although it's near the cement works/power station, you would never guess. We had a four night stay on this site in June, and thoroughly enjoyed it, again, access straight out to the sea, great for dogs, and a nice play area if you have children.:O)

I understand that this site will be closed pretty soon, as the quarrying from the cement works are slowly taking over. However, I have been told, the C&CC will be opening another site in the area!! :O)

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all who replied.

After phoning a few more sites in that area to find they were all full for that weekend (9th to 11th August)I was told by one site that because of local events that was a particularly busy weekend. Apparently amongst other things it is also the end of a sailing event.

Gave up on that area for timebeing and now heading north and inland. Booked onto Witches Crag site near Stirling after reading good reviews on another forum. Anyone from here been there?

Robert

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Havent stayed on the site, but I only live a couple of miles form it and can confirm it looks a really nice site. All level with spectacular views and very close to all amenities. (No I dont have any connection to the site)!!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Ewan. It seems to be easy to find, right off the main road , any tips for route or directions? I will be coming from the south on the M9 and looking at the map was planning on coming off at Junction 9, seems pretty straight forward from there ( I hope!)

Thanks

Robert

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ann

Thanks for that. I have had a look and it sounds lovely. I think we will give it a try. Can you advise what the road from the A1 leading to the park is like. I have experienced some of these B roads and they have been a nightmare.

Thanks

iris

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Robert

Yes as you said, come off at J9 Stirling Moto services, then follow the A91. You will pass through 4 roundabouts, past a retail park with a large Morrisons superstore, through another 2 roundabouts and the park is on your left hand side. It is approx 3 miles after you leave the motorway.

I think we will be away with the 'van that weekend, but if you want anymore info on places to visit, pubs or good restuarants etc let me know.

If you enjoy a walk, right behind the park is the Ochil Hills with easy walks to the summit of Dumyat Hill with spectacular views of the Forth Valley.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Ewan,

Thanks again for the info. If we pass a Retail Park on the way to the site then I guess I'll be forced by SWMBO to visit that on at least one of the days.

If you could recommend a nearby pub doing good food that would be appreciated. What is Stirling like on a Friday or Saturday for visiting and parking?

Thanks

Robert

Jul 18, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob-T

Stirling is not great for parking. There is a large Multi Storey next to the shopping centre but there is a Park & Ride service from the retail park (another excuse for someone wanting to go there. Stirling is a good shopping centre with plenty of eating places. The Golden Lion hotel approx 100yards from the indoor shopping mall do good meals and is very reasonable. There is also a smashing Coffee Shop/Farm shop just along the road from the site turn left approx 1 mile turn right at white bungalow ( direction sign on side of bungalow) You might like to ignore the next bit - there is a shopping outlet about 5/6 miles from the site at Tillycoultry, turn left out of the site and it is a straight road.

Hope this is of some help.

William

PS I have stayed at witches Craig once, no complaints, toilet blocks spotless, possibly some road noise if you are pitched at the front of the site. I prefer CC Allifated site at the Woods about 3 miles away.

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hi Robert

I agree with everything Robert said. There is also the Westerton Arms Hotel in Bridge of Allan which is only about 2 miles from the site. It does amazing food, reasonably priced with its own car park. Depending on the weather, there are actually nice walks from the site, through the grounds of Stirling University Campus which are beautifully landscaped with Lochs, wildlife etc which will bring you out at Bridge of Allan. I am sure staff at the site will be able to advise.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts