Recovery in France

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
We are going to France in July is it cheapest to get breakdown insurance just for the 2 weeks or for the year,and who does the best cover,if we broke down on the way i would rather carry on to site instead of coming home should i go through the club or Rac etc ta Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, are you a member of either of the clubs? Because the best (not the cheapest) insurance will either be Red Pennant (from the CC) or RAC Arrival ( for members of the C&CC). Both of these are designed for caravanners and will do what you want i.e. get you to your destination so that you can continue with your holiday, and a good deal more besides. Most other policies are just 'add-ons' to standard car insurance and may not cover all you require. This includes the standard RAC package. The Red Pennant policy will cover you for your trip, The RAC Arrival is an annual policy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, are you a member of either of the clubs? Because the best (not the cheapest) insurance will either be Red Pennant (from the CC) or RAC Arrival ( for members of the C&CC). Both of these are designed for caravanners and will do what you want i.e. get you to your destination so that you can continue with your holiday, and a good deal more besides. Most other policies are just 'add-ons' to standard car insurance and may not cover all you require. This includes the standard RAC package. The Red Pennant policy will cover you for your trip, The RAC Arrival is an annual policy.
Very good advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, I have a company car which is provided with RAC recovery throughout Europe as a matter of course. It also covers trailers and caravans.

I have reservations regarding the "small print". The package seems sparse to me. They will get the caravan home if the tow vehicle is incapacitated but thats about it.

My wife has RAC Arrival via the C&CC and we would use that if there were problems in the UK. Incedentaly it is very good in giving the complete package for up to 4 persons at the same address for approx

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the replies i have looked at the cc info and think we will go with that,as said its not cheap but whats the cost of being stuck with the wife+2 kids in France with no help thanks again Andrew.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

We tow a Bailey Senator Arizona (7.2 metres) with a Vauxh Monterey 4x4. 0n 26 August 2006 we broke down on the way home from Italy in Belgium. Our car was insured with the highest level of Brittania Rescue and that covered caravan too. BR's agent IMA had our car taken to a local dealer and us to a local caravan site. We were kept waiting for several hours after the breakdown in a dangerous contra-flow situation on the autoroute in pouring rain. After several days' wait at the campsite we were re-united with our car and again started home. Our car only lasted 10 miles before breaking down again. Back to the campsite and car returned to garage. Garage then said car auto gearbox had failed and car needed to be shipped back to UK. I had told them this at first breakdown!! We were given a hire car and left 'van and our car to be repatriated later - we were told c3 weeks. The repatriation actually took nearly 6 weeks. What a shambles .

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

We have had CC Red pennant ins for the lst 2 years and the last 2 years we have brokendown and been repatted.

the first year was only for our main holiday (2 and half weeks) car broke first was taken back, replaced with a tow so we could continue. End of same holiday caravan wheel went wonky, that was repatted, they paid for accommodation for us to return(hotel or campsite).

2nd year we had an annual ins, Yes, we brokedown at the end of holiday again(different car this time)only problem with the annual my husband and I took out was when the summer holidays came and we were putting our daughter on we had to pay the full price for annual ins they do not allow you to add people for 2 weeks only. go figure. but they are brill at letting you have your holiday while all your machine conk out!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Of course no one plans to breakdown. In 2006 we had just had the gearbox and car serviced. In 2007 with a new gearbox and the car again just serviced I never thought we could break down again BUT WE DID. When these unexpected happenings occur the combined caravanner packages from CC's Red Pennant or the Camping and Caravan Club are far superior.

I say this as someone who likes to keep an eye on the pennies but as I said previously our 2007 replacement tow car hire bill, paid by RP, was approaching the

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi smiley

Yes we are members the quote we got online was for 2 adults+2 children towing with a 2002 nissan x trail for 17 days,tried again and got same price as before maybe i should ring up and get a quote?

ta andrew.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi smiley

Yes we are members the quote we got online was for 2 adults+2 children towing with a 2002 nissan x trail for 17 days,tried again and got same price as before maybe i should ring up and get a quote?

ta andrew.
I had a quote this morning,for annual personal and motoring,any number of visits abroad not exceeding 31 days.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

It sounds like they're quoting for an annual insurance and not 2 weeks I have a ref number for you to quote CL07RF AND THE PRICE IS DEFINITELY

TRENDING THREADS