Red Pennant insurance - caution

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
I know if two. Close friend demonstrating his mountain biking skill to grandchildren came off and badly broke his shoulder. Wife has eyesight glaucoma and cannot drive. So they were driven back to UK by a retained driver. Neighbour’s wife damaged spine in Italy through a fall. After discharge from hospital she was flown by air ambulance to a U.K. spinal Center. Fortunately both made good recoveries.
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
I've now got Red Pennant costs and alternatives. For the full unhappy saga please see my recent posting in the 'Budget' thread in this same category
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
Risking the wrath of SWMBO by persisting but I just written to CAMC asking why the increase has been a 'step change' of over 100% and why age 80 was chosen.
I'm not convinced the risk increases in this manner - I suggest it may become greater with age perhaps not in a linear manner but this would be an approximation. So from age say 70 increase premiums by by 5% per year. Clearly this would not be popular at first with 70-80 group but any who hope and plan to continue travel beyond 80 would welcome not having a 100% increase at that point. Figures above are indicative not my firm suggestions.
I have also asked why the is not a No Claim discount, nor a mandatory / or voluntary excess provision again as with other forms of insurance. I understand these are very efficient at limiting the number of small or unnecessary claims and hence reduce the administration costs significantly
I'll keep you posted about the answers.
 
Mar 21, 2007
443
18
18,685
sites.google.com
I dropped Red Pennant this year after using it for 50 trips since 1980. They had changed the long stay policy that I had been using to cover 2 trips totalling 122 days in such a way as to require 2 policies instead at a total of nearly £500 instead of the existing £360 as Its now only permitted to be back in the UK for 2 weeks during that long stay.
Changed to the C&CC and get 183 days in total with no trip longer than 93 days, much more than the CAMC policy and for £283, people who have had cause to claim speak very highly of the service. It was well worth joining but non members can be covered for a £20 surcharge.
Incidentally I am 71 but with no medical pre-conditions.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Raywood said:
It is well worth checking the two clubs policies before buying as both get excellent reviews and give good cover.
Until We get to 80 YEARS young. :kiss:

Doesn’t your car insurance increase with age too once you start to enter the realms of the elderly? It’s a risk based business. My fathers Corsa was costing him nearly £1300 pa. That is until I sold it and cancelled his insurance He will now have almost enough for two weeks care fees. Rum old world.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,773
3,079
40,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Raywood said:
It is well worth checking the two clubs policies before buying as both get excellent reviews and give good cover.
Until We get to 80 YEARS young. :kiss:

Doesn’t your car insurance increase with age too once you start to enter the realms of the elderly? It’s a risk based business. My fathers Corsa was costing him nearly £1300 pa. That is until I sold it and cancelled his insurance He will now have enough for two weeks care fees. Rum old world.

Rum , Rum, which one. :evil:
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Raywood said:
It is well worth checking the two clubs policies before buying as both get excellent reviews and give good cover.
Until We get to 80 YEARS young. :kiss:

Doesn’t your car insurance increase with age too once you start to enter the realms of the elderly? It’s a risk based business. My fathers Corsa was costing him nearly £1300 pa. That is until I sold it and cancelled his insurance He will now have enough for two weeks care fees. Rum old world.

Rum , Rum, which one. :evil:

After a day spent around Leicester I would settle for the Jamaican variety. South on Fosse tomorrow. Have taken the chance to book Brecon for a few days. Thought I’d give the relaxed axle a run out. Swift unable to discern the axle type number! Xxx old world.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,773
3,079
40,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Raywood said:
It is well worth checking the two clubs policies before buying as both get excellent reviews and give good cover.
Until We get to 80 YEARS young. :kiss:

Doesn’t your car insurance increase with age too once you start to enter the realms of the elderly? It’s a risk based business. My fathers Corsa was costing him nearly £1300 pa. That is until I sold it and cancelled his insurance He will now have enough for two weeks care fees. Rum old world.

Rum , Rum, which one. :evil:

After a day spent around Leicester I would settle for the Jamaican variety. South on Fosse tomorrow. Have taken the chance to book Brecon for a few days. Thought I’d give the relaxed axle a run out. Swift unable to discern the axle type number! Xxx old world.

I lived in Trinidad for 4 years and tried a lot of them. . Nice to be home now. :kiss:
 
Jun 2, 2017
118
29
10,585
Visit site
Just renewed my Red Pennant today and it's actually £25 cheaper than last year. Breakdown for Car & Caravan plus Personal, Health & Possessions anywhere in Europe for 122 days is £270 for 2 of us.
When I asked why it was cheaper than last year she said it was the underwriters had decided to increase the premiums for over 80s but decrease it to balance it for under 80s.
Can't argue with that price given the service was superb when we had to call them out last year twice
Mike
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
I wonder if its the same for car insurance as we have just getting our renewal quote for the car and it's come in at more than £1o cheaper than last year by the same company ?!
It normally comes in about £5o more !
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,858
6,518
50,935
Visit site
I don’t know if Red Pennant is like the CMHC insurance for the caravan itself but recently the Club has taken over the role of insurer and no longer uses a panel of insurers. Last year the van insurance was lower than CCC and this years renewal is lower by £20. One other benefit is the CMHC team themselves deal with any claims. Presumably CMHC have themselves off loaded some aspects of risk into the insurance industry but fir caravans the CMHC are now the prime insurer using their financial resources to underwrite risk.
 
Mar 14, 2005
3,027
40
20,685
Visit site
Good to know some others are benefiting from the 100%+ increase us over 80s are now paying. My car insurance did increase slightly when reaching this age but by not much more than inflation, so LV don't seem to think it's too much of a risk.
Recent communication with CAMC has produced the response that some of the suggestions I offered e.g. a voluntary excess to reduce the premiums would be discussed with the underwriters 'in due course@ but no explanation as to why the severe step change at 80 rather than a tapering increase from say 70. The risk and fatality stats certainly do not show anything approaching a step change at 80
However, up to now can't find anything better but still disappointed in the Club attitude.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts