Reich TLC Towbar Load Control

May 7, 2012
8,595
1,812
30,935
Visit site
I had not seen this before but it looks interesting. The one point that might be a problem is that it looks as though you attach this to the tow ball and this leaves the hitch higher than when actually on the car which must make for some discrepancy there but probably not significant.
 
Apr 19, 2017
361
2
0
Visit site
I can't really see the point when digital bathroom scales do the job perfectly well. at a fraction of the cost (and avoid the height problem mentioned).

Now, what I would like is a REICH 'weight control' pad for measuring the actual caravan weight (and it would also measure the towbar load). I can't really justify the cost though for the few times I might use it. (You would think caravan dealers might find hiring them out a nice little sideline).
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,635
2,946
40,935
Visit site
I think its about the best around tried lots of others, use the Bathroom scales at home but cannot be bothered to carry them around when touring, including the magazines and extra lumps of wood. . Lets see what others have to say.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I think its about the best around tried lots of others, use the Bathroom scales at home but cannot be bothered to carry them around when touring, including the magazines and extra lumps of wood. . Lets see what others have to say.

Have you got one Hutch? If so have you compared it to the bathroom scales method. They do look convenient to use.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
Both I and Sproket use them. His for sa mine for a ta. Allowing for the differential height from the actual loaded towball I can honestly say using the bathroom scale method and the Reich the variance has never exceeded 1kg. Thus Contrary to what has been said on other threads I believe this is a pretty decent piece of kit.
At least twice a year I compare it with the bathroom scales and four years on no change in accuracy.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Both I and Sproket use them. His for sa mine for a ta. Allowing for the differential height from the actual loaded towball I can honestly say using the bathroom scale method and the Reich the variance has never exceeded 1kg. Thus Contrary to what has been said on other threads I believe this is a pretty decent piece of kit.
At least twice a year I compare it with the bathroom scales and four years on no change in accuracy.

Dustry,
Thanks for the feedback. For interest did you also compare it to the Milenco (calibrated sic) noseweight gauge?
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Both I and Sproket use them. His for sa mine for a ta. Allowing for the differential height from the actual loaded towball I can honestly say using the bathroom scale method and the Reich the variance has never exceeded 1kg. Thus Contrary to what has been said on other threads I believe this is a pretty decent piece of kit.
At least twice a year I compare it with the bathroom scales and four years on no change in accuracy.

Dustry,
Thanks for the feedback. For interest did you also compare it to the Milenco (calibrated sic)
noseweight gauge?

Oh dear Clive :whistle:
I had one many years ago. Long ago sent to the recycling centre. My Milenco was weird. My little finger pressing or lifting the hitch could produces variance of 20kgs. Hence the bin.
 
Jun 15, 2014
104
8
18,585
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies, helpful as usual. I have to admit, I can’t get my head around the bathroom scales plus plank approach, not unless both are calibrated :lol: No offence to anyone! Think I’ll be investing in the Reich TLC.
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Thanks for all the replies, helpful as usual. I have to admit, I can’t get my head around the bathroom scales plus plank approach, not unless both are calibrated :lol: No offence to anyone! Think I’ll be investing in the Reich TLC.

Same thing really, in one test you are placing the measurement meter on top of the tow-ball and in the other method you are placing the meter below the tow-hitch. :)
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,778
3,178
50,935
Visit site
Anseo said:
Fithawk said:
Thanks for all the replies, helpful as usual. I have to admit, I can’t get my head around the bathroom scales plus plank approach, not unless both are calibrated :lol: No offence to anyone! Think I’ll be investing in the Reich TLC.

Same thing really, in one test you are placing the measurement meter on top of the tow-ball and in the other method you are placing the meter below the tow-hitch. :)

Not the same thing at all.

The process using the bathroom scales, caravan step and magazines, allows you to adjust the height of the scales far more closely to match the towing height of the hitch, which is the only height at which the trailer will produce its real legal nose load. The Reich device raises the hitch, which for an SA(TA's can be different) will reduce the applied nose load, how ever Reich claim they compensate for that, but exactly how is not clear becasue there is no way of entering the dimensional details of the caravan for it to know what adjustment to make.
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,778
3,178
50,935
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Thanks for all the replies, helpful as usual. I have to admit, I can’t get my head around the bathroom scales plus plank approach, not unless both are calibrated :lol: No offence to anyone! Think I’ll be investing in the Reich TLC.

One of the major manufacturers of nose load gauges published data that showed many of the spring loaded nose load gauges were hopelessly inaccurate and the worst case was out by 30Kg! By comparison bathroom scales are typically much closer than that. This same manufacture claims their product is calibrated, but it is also a spring loaded support column, which changes length when a load is applied. This means it will be sheer luck if the height the gauge settles at is the same as the the vehicles loaded hitch, so even if it does give consistent readings unless its at the riding height of the hitch the reading will be wrong. How wrong it will be depends on the dimensions of the caravan and how its loaded.

The matter is complicated further for Twin Axle caravans, where the interaction of both sets of suspension causes the rate of change of nose load with height to be far more dramatic and can easily lead to overloading of the hitch if its not measured very carefully.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,635
2,946
40,935
Visit site
Unless you have a very high, center of gravity on your caravan, lot of heavy stuff, high , ......above the axle . Your nose weight will not change more than 5 kg. Within 5 cm's height of hitch height. .
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,805
214
19,935
Visit site
I see what you are saying Prof, but I am guessing (only guessing) that Reich would have made consideration for the raised hitch height, the absolute accuracy of the allowances that Reich have applied is subject to debate - no doubt.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,635
2,946
40,935
Visit site
Anseo said:
I see what you are saying Prof, but I am guessing (only guessing) that Reich would have made consideration for the raised hitch height, the absolute accuracy of the allowances that Reich have applied is subject to debate - no doubt.

I am with this idea, Prof are you renaging on modern technology. Who invented Gravity ?
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,509
3,630
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:
I see what you are saying Prof, but I am guessing (only guessing) that Reich would have made consideration for the raised hitch height, the absolute accuracy of the allowances that Reich have applied is subject to debate - no doubt.

I am with this idea, Prof are you renaging on modern technology. Who invented Gravity ?
It is well documented that in practice the Reich is just as accurate as the bathroom scale method. :)
I again qualify that statement by confirming twice a year I compare the Reich with the bathroom scales. They have never shown a greater variance than 1kg. Surely that is good enough and indicative of the accuracy. :cheer: The spring loaded gauges are imo a waste of money. :woohoo:
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:
I see what you are saying Prof, but I am guessing (only guessing) that Reich would have made consideration for the raised hitch height, the absolute accuracy of the allowances that Reich have applied is subject to debate - no doubt.

I am with this idea, Prof are you renaging on modern technology. Who invented Gravity ?
It is well documented that in practice the Reich is just as accurate as the bathroom scale method. :)
I again qualify that statement by confirming twice a year I compare the Reich with the bathroom scales. They have never shown a greater variance than 1kg. Surely that is good enough and indicative of the accuracy. :cheer: The spring loaded gauges are imo a waste of money. :woohoo:

We regularly calibrate our bathroom scales against airports check in and at 19 kg suitcase they are always within 0.5 kg or less. And my method is me holding the suitcase whilst on the scales. Total weight circa 120kg ish
 
Jun 15, 2014
104
8
18,585
Visit site
Just found this:

“Measurement is carried out with the device located between the towing hitch and the towball; the device uses load cell technology for maximum accuracy and measurement take place at consistent height with software adjustment to calculate the actual towing height.”
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,593
6,362
50,935
Visit site
Fithawk said:
Just found this:

“Measurement is carried out with the device located between the towing hitch and the towball; the device uses load cell technology for maximum accuracy and measurement take place at consistent height with software adjustment to calculate the actual towing height.”

Do you input your height to the center of the towball with Car laden? As towball height has a variation as does laden height. Could the Woosies do such a test at the next festival as a break from cassette games ?
 
Jun 15, 2014
104
8
18,585
Visit site
Agreed, some testing and or comparisons would be great. However, I think there are so many variables affecting the outcome, it would be very hard to come up with a definitive answer.
 
Jun 15, 2014
104
8
18,585
Visit site
I contacted Reich, to ask about using their product on my drive, that has a small gradient. This is what they said:

“The TLC is designed for use on a level surface as that gives the most accurate reading. If the gradient on your drive is quite low then it shouldn’t give you too much of a problem. The product is designed to give you the nose weight at the tow bar height on the towing vehicle so depending on if you have a saloon car or a 4WD vehicle the road height level will change.”

Interesting....
 
Sep 5, 2016
928
119
4,935
Visit site
Ir the Reich TLC is technoligy driven and the Milenco nose weight gauge is spring/mechanical and bathroom scales or spring and library books/blocks of wood , why is it by now the likes of Reich or milenco have not come up with a Techno/mechanical bit of kit with an ajustable head that will accomodate any tow ball height,
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts