Relative posting numbers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Anytime the techies have a spare moment and can be dragged away from whatever underemployed techies get up to, it would be quite interesting to see some stats on the number and frequency of postings on the various forum subheadings

Looking at the list, posting dates etc. it is clear (and understandable) that some subheadings (e.g. General and Technical )are much more widely use than others. I wonder if a simple histogram could be built from the information at the bottom of each section.

Apart from satisfying those of us hooked on stats and disparing of the general understanding thereof, this may well have some value in shaping the future of the website and perhaps even a commercial value.

(If not convinced of the lack of general understanding of stats and numbers, listen to the BBC radio 4 "More or Less" series or ask you GP if he/she undeerstand the difference between average and median and the significance of standard deviation in assessing if your medication is working, particularly for things like blood pressure. The Government is guilty as charged particularly about 'average wage' which is far away from median wage - which most people would think of as 'average')

Thanks for your tolerance with my rant - iI feel better now.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Admin do in fact have access to a complete histogram which reveals post numbers, forum usage, Google ranking, number of spam hits etc; but the information is commercially sensitive and therefore confidential.
I'm not privy to the information, although I've seen a screenshot of the histogram and you can be fairly certain that Haymarket use the information to obtain the best commercial value for themselves and their advertisers.
As for the future of the website, when Nigel Donnelly was 'digital editor' before moving on to his new job at What Car he told me that a completely new Practial Caravan website was under development and that no improvements or alterations were scheduled for this existing model.
I haven't heard anything since Nigel left so I can only guess at how the future of the website may be being shaped.
I don't foresee any major changes any time soon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve, thanks for 'moderating' my entry. Deep down I thought this would be the case but if you don't fly kites you don't catch 133kv overhead wires. I'm tempted to buy a few shares in Haymarket to see if this provides another route into the deliberations.

TRENDING THREADS