removing carpet and replacing it with vinyl

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Good Afternoon to all the D.I.Y in caravaning.

Being new to caravaning I wonder if any one of you has replaced the carpet in caravan .Can you tell me if it is glued down ?? What is the best way to uplift it .Hoping to do it this weekend.Regards Helen

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The carpet is normally the first thing to be put down when building a caravan, and the furniture is fitted on top of it.

It is not practically possible to remove it all, so most people cut as close to the furniture as possible and fit vinyl in the space vacated by the carpet.

Normally it is not glued down, but may be stuck if the van is well used.

Use a wide bladed paint scraper to help remove it.

Jan 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi, as well as vinyl. try doing a decent job of fitting a laminate floor. Especially if you are begining to suffer the dreaded de-lamination as this is a cure. To be a cure the laminate must be stuck down hard to the existing floor. Cut the old carpet as close to the furniture as possible, AND KEEP IT, edge it if possible as it will be needed and asked for when you come to sell.

geo

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks George,

Just thought when we seen the vinyl it looks good nice and thick (not the Thin cheap one)in other words cushioned vinyl .We did think about real wood but thought it would be harder to fit. Dad has fitted real wood in larger static van but 4 berth might be harder. So got next best thing. Will keep carpet as you said when we come to sell it they may want carpet down..

Thanks again Regards Helen

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks George,

Just thought when we seen the vinyl it looks good nice and thick (not the Thin cheap one)in other words cushioned vinyl .We did think about real wood but thought it would be harder to fit. Dad has fitted real wood in larger static van but 4 berth might be harder. So got next best thing. Will keep carpet as you said when we come to sell it they may want carpet down..

Thanks again Regards Helen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts