Removing number plate from caravan

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.We are changing our caravan in the next 2 weeks and was wondering what is the easiest way to remove our number plate from our existing van to fit our new one.

The plate was stuck on with those 2 sided sticky foam pads and its well and truly stuck.

As the plate is housed into a recessed area,i cant get a screwdriver or scraper behind it to gently lift it off.

Maybe i will just have to leave it on there and the new owner to fit theirs over the top?

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I would be loath to leave the number plate on. You'll never know what has happened to it 'till the speeding ticket arrives on your doormat.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I didn't think about using a hair dryer, good idea.

But i recently removed mine by using a very thin gauge steel wire, put it behind the plate and used it like a cheese cutter.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Cheese wire??

Yep,another good idea too.I will have a look round in the shed to see if ive got something like that but not sure if i will have the room to pull the wire along because of the recess.

Thanks

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Had a similar issue last year when I changed my car. I got my number plate off by using some gardening wire which I found at the back of my shed.

To avoid this problem in the future I have put my new number plate on with sticky Hook and Loop tape. I put quite a few strips on to ensure it never falls off and you cannot tell that it isn't stuck on by any other means. The only issue I can see with this though is that it is easy to take off but the probability of this ever happening is very remote.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This very day i've removed the plate from my van - not using a hairdrier but a B&D heat gun on the low setting. Start from one end and find out where the "stickies" are - heat in that area and release and then move along the plate. Reassuring to know how well they are on. Adhesion to a blanket comes to mind

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Found some thin wire in the shed and have removed the number plate.

Good idea about the velcro too. think i will do that on next caravan.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Found some thin wire in the shed and have removed the number plate.

Good idea about the velcro too. think i will do that on next caravan.
I use velcro to make life easy when son-in-law uses van with his car

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts