removing rock pegs ?

May 9, 2015
Visit site
hi just put my awning up for the first time ,,the thing is has anybody got a method of removing the pegs from hard ground i had one in particular i was trying to get out for 15 mins ended up leaving it half way out there must be an easy way ,,i hope ,,?? dont think one of those little hook things are strong enough

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
robf1234 said:
hi just put my awning up for the first time ,,the thing is has anybody got a method of removing the pegs from hard ground i had one in particular i was trying to get out for 15 mins ended up leaving it half way out there must be an easy way ,,i hope ,,?? dont think one of those little hook things are strong enough

Ummm... did you report it to the warden before you left??
Dont fancy driving on that pitch and getting a puncture!
Had one the same couple of years ago but I persevered with a hammer and eventually got it out , but like WC I now have a crow bar, mines bigger that his though :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Bigger isn't always better ;) :lol:
:pinch:

Never failed yet with mine ;) once it starts moving i use it as a slide hammer :woohoo: :woohoo:
6131342293-2.jpg

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
When we were on a site last week i struggled to get a few in , a gravel pitch to , was hammering away at one and I bent it , but I just twist and pull them out , no hammer or crow bar - yet !

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
When we were on a site last week i struggled to get a few in , a gravel pitch to , was hammering away at one and I bent it , but I just twist and pull them out , no hammer or crow bar - yet !

You need to treat your self to a proper hard standing pitch where a lump hammer is required to persuade the rock pegs to go in..... when we were at Rivendale with the Woosies in the old Quarry i had to pre drill the holes with a 6.5mm long reach masonry bit before some of them could be persuade to enter ....

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
:lol: never ! Keilder was like that on one of their pitches , didn't even get the awning up if you'd seen the way the ground sloped down , front legs fully unwound and rear legs hardly moved and ground it was solid , I'd post a picture showing yous but let's not go there !! :whistle:

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Gagakev said:
robf1234 said:

Ummm... did you report it to the warden before you left??
Dont fancy driving on that pitch and getting a puncture!
Had one the same couple of years ago but I persevered with a hammer and eventually got it out , but like WC I now have a crow bar, mines bigger that his though :lol: :lol: :lol:
it was in under a tree think it was maybe through a root or something,, you could not run over it in a caravan ,, guy rope,,,,,,,,,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Claw hammer has never failed , yet.
Sproket and Gagakev

I'm getting seriously worried about your weight limits. All that cold steel and massive masonary drill must be overloading your axles :p

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
As well as a claw hammer and a very large flat head screwdriver I use a large pair of pliers to grip the head and twist the peg. Twisting the peg seems to make removal just that bit easier.
Just put up the porch awning and will need to take it down on Saterday and I am not looking forward to it as I had to use the large claw hammer to get the pegs in.

May 9, 2015
Visit site
just bought one of these ,,might be a bit of overkill
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/d10/Bolsters+%26+Wrecking+Bars/sd3192/Roughneck+%22T%22+Type+Wrecking+Bar/p49625

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The 'grip and turn before pulling' method generally works. I use a Mole type grip, same technique when removing metal windbreak poles.
If you think the pegs are going to be tight, dribble some water round them (eg from the kettle) a few minutes before extracting.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Claw hammer has never failed , yet.
Sproket and Gagakev

I'm getting seriously worried about your weight limits. All that cold steel and massive masonary drill must be overloading your axles :p

Me too - crowbars, drill sets, lump hammers - talk about going equipped :unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts