Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we currently tow our avondale dart 556/6 with a 2000 (w) ford mondeo 2.0 16v it tows like a dream and we will be very sad to change it but due to children getting older we are currently looking at buying a 2001(y)renault espace 2.0 16v expression petrol.has anybody towed with a renault espace?wot do they tow lke?fuel consumption?would it be a good match?anybody kno the nose weight/kerbweight of the espace.

thanks to all who reply

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2.2 dCi Espace. It pulls very well, but then my caravan is only 850kg so that's not surprising. The 2.0 petrol has a reputation for being underpowered, even when solo. I wouldn't recommend it for a van your size, even if it is a legal match.

I think my noseweight is 75kg max, and the kerbweight is around 1750kg. Fuel consumption is around 32 mpg, both solo and towing.

You might prefer to wait for a diesel to become available. Or would you be better off with a 2.3 Galaxy?

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
the 2.3 galaxy is absolutely horrendous on fuel, its a good recomendation as a vehicle but go for the diesel. ive just sold my galaxy 1.9 tdi which had 115 bhp and a six speed gearbox, it was a 2002 zetec with only 28000 miles on the clock and i sold it for 11,000 pounds so you should be able to get a higher mileage version for round about ten grand, or go older and they are very cheap but you will not get the tdi engine or the six speed. The 2.2 espace is a cracker and i wanted one but could not wait the 12 weeks renault wanted for delivery so i bought a seat alhambra, the car was in the showroom at 22.000 pounds and in the end we got it for 17.000, a bargain it is the 130 bhp version and is returning 47 mpg solo and 39 towing i can not complain.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at the Kia Sedona

spacious, superb 7 seater

3 litre, diesel, manual, 140 bhp

my rig Ranger 6 berth/ Sedona

get 35-40 mpg towing

Excellent car and cheaper than the galaxy etc.

Try one

roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2.2 dCi Espace. It pulls very well, but then my caravan is only 850kg so that's not surprising. The 2.0 petrol has a reputation for being underpowered, even when solo. I wouldn't recommend it for a van your size, even if it is a legal match.

I think my noseweight is 75kg max, and the kerbweight is around 1750kg. Fuel consumption is around 32 mpg, both solo and towing.

You might prefer to wait for a diesel to become available. Or would you be better off with a 2.3 Galaxy?
hi mike thanks for reply we went ahead a bought renalt espace 2.0 16v we towed down passed carmarthen up and down the big hills following lorrys and overtaking and she pulled really well hardly noticed we was towing unless i looked in the mirrors.we have 3 children and they loved the espace loads of room,choice of seats and me and the wife loved the space in the front that u dont get in other cars (not knocking each other when gear changing.i am now converted mpv fan wouldnot want to go back to a car for towing even though the mondeo is 1 hell of a tow car probably 1 of the best out

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
the 2.3 galaxy is absolutely horrendous on fuel, its a good recomendation as a vehicle but go for the diesel. ive just sold my galaxy 1.9 tdi which had 115 bhp and a six speed gearbox, it was a 2002 zetec with only 28000 miles on the clock and i sold it for 11,000 pounds so you should be able to get a higher mileage version for round about ten grand, or go older and they are very cheap but you will not get the tdi engine or the six speed. The 2.2 espace is a cracker and i wanted one but could not wait the 12 weeks renault wanted for delivery so i bought a seat alhambra, the car was in the showroom at 22.000 pounds and in the end we got it for 17.000, a bargain it is the 130 bhp version and is returning 47 mpg solo and 39 towing i can not complain.
hi icemaker we bought espace 2.0 16v tows like a dream we liked the look of galaxy and sharran but thought they was pricey compared to the seat alhambra has we couldn't find a seat that we wanted. we saw this espace and it had every think we needed it drived well on test and with 3 children and towing a big caravan we needed a good safety vechile and with renault safety is a priority.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

get 35-40 mpg towing

Try one

roger
hi roger yeah we did look at a sedona and nearlt did a deal on a 03 sedona 2.9 se or le but the dealer did not give us a decnt deal on our exchange car we laughed with what he offered(main dealers) so we walked away and went round another local car dealer who had the espace they gave us double the other car dealers amount hoping 2 get a sale and they were more than helpful 1.tank of fuel

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site

get 35-40 mpg towing

Try one

roger
Hi,

We use our Espace 2.2dci to to our Abbey Aventura - it tows like a dream and has ample power for the hills. We have also had a Diesel Power up-grade fitted with increases the BHP from 150 to 175.

Also the Espace is by far the best MPV out there in looks, safety (5star NCAP) and performance and reliability. It acheived the 'Safest Car Ever Made' accolade a couple of years ago.

We have always driven Espaces and wouldnt chose anything else - despite trying others.

Go on plump for the best!! not cheap but well worth it!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

We use our Espace 2.2dci to to our Abbey Aventura - it tows like a dream and has ample power for the hills. We have also had a Diesel Power up-grade fitted with increases the BHP from 150 to 175.

Also the Espace is by far the best MPV out there in looks, safety (5star NCAP) and performance and reliability. It acheived the 'Safest Car Ever Made' accolade a couple of years ago.

We have always driven Espaces and wouldnt chose anything else - despite trying others.

Go on plump for the best!! not cheap but well worth it!!
hi simon well said renault espace great vehicle.we have heard we can get the petrol version chipped to increase power do you know how much we r looking at to pay and how long it takes to install.happy camping mark+jackie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts