renewing the electric twin socket mounting plate

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
hi all

just brought a new car sorento the mounting plate is just about had it so off to halfords for a new one, is there an easy way to change them or do i have strip all the wires down and rewire

any advice would be greatly recieved

neil

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
You need to buy one with a slot to allow the wire to pass through without needing to rewire.

Like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Towbar-Bumper-Protector-Plate-with-Socket-Mounting_W0QQitemZ260470476784QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Just cut from the bottom to the centre (where the cable access is), gently bend the plate enough to ease the cable to the centre, do this for both cables and then bend back. When the sockets is bolted on it will hold the plate rigid and the slot won't be seen.

Take care with sharp edges so you don't damage the cable, file smooth if possible.

Job done 10 minutes.

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
While on this topic - and I have the same job to do - can anyone tell me, and Neil as well presumably, what torque setting is required for the new bolts please.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
hi mike

well i have just got another plate with the groves ready to just slide in and went out to check the paper work that was with the two spare bolts and it says 210 nu which is great as my torque wrench which i have only just got only goes to 200

not having a good week really

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi neil

I will probably get labasted for this, but if you use the type of high tensile bolts that have nylon lock nuts and tighten them up to 200nu as your torque wrench max they won't come undone as 10nu is neither here nor there on such big bolts.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I bought a 2' torque wrench rated to 225, i had already replaced the ball, and as always without a torque wrench.

But i thought i would try my new toy, after swinging on the end of the wrench a couple of times i realised i was simply not strong enough, as i have never had a loose nut yet i am not concerned, i paint the bolts anyway.

If your wrench will only go to 200, then that would be enough for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts