Renting a cottage

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately this could probably be due to the large influx of people into the UK without permission?
The number of illegals migrants pales into insignificance when you look at recent figures for legal versus illegal immigration. 685000 nett legal migration in 2023.

But given our demographic like other western countries migration seems to be an essential requirement for the economy. It’s getting the balance right that’s not easy.

The Migration Observatory link below is worth a read.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In the past year, we had to cancel a holiday booking due to our vehicle deciding to roll over and require medical attention so we lost the money paid for that week.

The next time we went out, we had to cut our holiday short because I required medical attention and did not fancy a stay at some unknown hospital miles from home.

A lot of people including us are quite concerned about the next budget and what else is going to hit us. I wonder if the tax on insurance premiums will also increase? Currently I think it is 12% so would not surprise us if it went up to 20%. Our caravan insurance is due end of this month.
Insurance premium tax is an absolute inequity. Taxing people who act responsibly and pay using money that has probably been taxed already, is a travesty. Whilst most policies are taxed at 12% some including travel insurance are rated at 20%.

If you used a seasonal could your family not share the use of the caravan and cost of the expenses?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
And yes until we learn the true impact of the Budget it is hard to make any decisions about anything. Just keep your tanks and batteries topped up!
We have been making sure that both cars are being kept topped up. We know it only saves a few pounds, but rather in my pocket than someone driving a train! :D

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The number of illegals migrants pales into insignificance when you look at recent figures for legal versus illegal immigration. 685000 nett legal migration in 2023.

But given our demographic like other western countries migration seems to be an essential requirement for the economy. It’s getting the balance right that’s not easy.

The Migration Observatory link below is worth a read.

However the legal migrants have accommodation, have jobs and money to buy a home and do not need taxpayers to support them. That money saved can be used for new housing. Sorry those migrant figures do not reflect the true picture of legal migrants.

However lets not go down that route as a political hot potato and at the moment we are more interested in the pros and cons of renting holiday cottages or AirBnBs which is why I started the thread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However the legal migrants have accommodation, have jobs and money to buy a home and do not need taxpayers to support them. That money saved can be used for new housing. Sorry those migrant figures do not reflect the true picture of legal migrants.

However lets not go down that route as a political hot potato and at the moment we are more interested in the pros and cons of renting holiday cottages or AirBnBs which is why I started the thread.
Well I’m puzzled as to why you brought the topic up in the first place. Nuff said then.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site

Actually you’ve opened Pandora’s box for us!

We have already decided not to tow the caravan to Scotland again. Too much of a drag😉.
Friends of ours have used Lochs and Glens coach tours. Collection locally. Baronial hotels dotted around the Highlands.. Great value .

Caravanning now will be no further than Berwick Upon Tweed and Cornwall SW.

If you decide to use rentals don’t go in the peak periods . I see some autumn and winter weekly rates are almost give aways.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

We have already decided not to tow the caravan to Scotland again. Too much of a drag😉.
Friends of ours have used Lochs and Glens coach tours. Collection locally. Baronial hotels dotted around the Highlands.. Great value .

If you decide to use rentals don’t go in the peak periods . I see some autumn and winter weekly rates are almost give aways.
Generally during peak periods the areas are saturated with holiday makers, roads are jammed etc so not a pleasant experience where ever you go so best to stay at home and have a BBQ or six.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

My wife and daughter have used Loch and Glens and even taken a teenager with them twice. They all really enjoyed the holiday. Currently L&G local pick up is Michael Wood on the M5 some 40 miles away. They are currently looking at Leger for a holiday in Europe. Leger have local pick ups at our local motorway services 15 minutes away, and can even arrange a pick up from home to take you to the coach pick up. I am tempted providing the coaches have good legroom.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site

Pretty much what we do in reverse. We'll not tow further than Northumberland from Skye.

Cottage rentals mostly in off peak times.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My wife and daughter have used Loch and Glens and even taken a teenager with them twice. They all really enjoyed the holiday. Currently L&G local pick up is Michael Wood on the M5 some 40 miles away. They are currently looking at Leger for a holiday in Europe. Leger have local pick ups at our local motorway services 15 minutes away, and can even arrange a pick up from home to take you to the coach pick up. I am tempted providing the coaches have good legroom.
L&G pick up in Cirencester so ideal for me👍

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Went down to the caravan today to empty it. Amazing the amount of junk you accumulate over the years. Lot of it is "just in case" stuff. Now we need to find room in our home to store the stuff. :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Went down to the caravan today to empty it. Amazing the amount of junk you accumulate over the years. Lot of it is "just in case" stuff. Now we need to find room in our home to store the stuff. :D
Buy an Ottoman divan king size. We've just had one yesterday but need to train Mrs OC not to just store empty suitcases in it.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I myself and luckily my misses both prefer our own "home from home" from camping to caravans,I myself felt I'll at ease when attending a wedding at Fort William and stayed in digs.The hosts were extremely friendly although it did seem strange having to be in for 11pm...bit like being a teenager...If I remember rightly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts