Renting a cottage

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have now advertised the caravan with a load of extras thrown in as could not be bothered with trying to sell them individually. However the Isabella Magnum porch awning and the Jormax windbreaks will be sold separately.
You will get a lot of customers after the porch awning and windbreaks and i hope the caravan goes for the asking price good luck .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now we have a dilemma! Shortly after writing the above post we got a phone call from a campsite in Weston Super Mare where we had put our names down for a seasonal pitch about two - three years ago.

It is a fully serviced hard standing pitch with water hookup and in a corner so bigger than most of the other pitches. Reasonable nice view and no chance of the site flooding. Good TV and mobile phone reception in the area and obviously the beach is within about three miles away.
To be fair with the issues you’ve had over the last two years I’m not surprised. However I suspect the impromptu clear out of everything this week may have swayed your decision.

The real question is sell now or in the spring? Will next weeks budget adversely affect caravanning? Eg diesel increasing by 7- 10 p per litre?

If you fancy WSM and the Seasonal price is good perhaps that could be a half way house stepping stone before final closure?

My friends farm has storage for 100 caravans. For decades he has always had an outstanding list of people waiting for a vacant storage pitch. He told me this Wednesday he has vacancies and will have to advertise the spaces! Unprecedented!
Maybe a sign of the changing times 😉

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are now leaning more towards the seasonal site and may go down tomorrow to view them as there is a choice of two pitches. The pitch on the corner although slightly larger, has tall trees on the one side and may obstruct a satellite signal so we need to make sure which pitch is right for us if we decide to go ahead with the seasonal pitch.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Now we have a dilemma! Shortly after writing the above post we got a phone call from a campsite in Weston Super Mare where we had put our names down for a seasonal pitch about two - three years ago.

It is a fully serviced hard standing pitch with water hookup and in a corner so bigger than most of the other pitches. Reasonable nice view and no chance of the site flooding. Good TV and mobile phone reception in the area and obviously the beach is within about three miles away.
Take it. Try it for a year and if it doesn’t work then sell the Buc. Our experience of being seasonal was really great.
Mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Buckman, the seasonal could extend the caravanning, as much as being in the same site all the time doesn't appeal, Being away in the caravan, possibly more often would be good.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The site is open for 7 months from April till end of March and a quick calculation shows that it works out at about £335 per month. Electric is metered. Winter storage from Nov until end of March is £200.

As we have a cat that stays at home our normal break is about 5-10 days except for one long break during the year of about 3 weeks when the cat needs to go into the cattery. We probably go away once about every six weeks. Normal cost per night is about £28 and in high season £32 a night and that includes our two dogs. Weston in high season is jam packed and we don't t like crowds.

OH is undecided as she is wondering if it will be cost effective or whether we should look around for other sites that offer seasonal pitches which may be more cost effective and a longer season. Our main concern at the moment is the looming budget and associated extra and unforeseen costs and she wants to put brakes on any commitments.

However after seeing the costs associated with seasonal sites OH has hinted that maybe we should hang in there for another year if we have no response to our selling posts on the Buccaneer group. Guess it is now wait and see.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Why restrict yourself to The Buccaneer group, put it on E bay, Auto Trader or contact one of the We Buy Caravans, dealers, and see what they offer.
Consider how much you will NOT spend by selling the van, insurance, storage servicing etc.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I really can't see the budget, effecting the difference in cost between a caravan or a cottage, they will probably both go up.
When at the height of the fuel costs, we factored in an extra £50 each way to a site, only went out for a meal every other day, and chose sites that didn't charge for awnings or dogs.
Life will go on,
No heating allowance for us , so may as well go out in the caravan,

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why restrict yourself to The Buccaneer group, put it on E bay, Auto Trader or contact one of the We Buy Caravans, dealers, and see what they offer.
Consider how much you will NOT spend by selling the van, insurance, storage servicing etc.
I am obeying SWMBO and advertising the caravan. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The site is open for 7 months from April till end of March and a quick calculation shows that it works out at about £335 per month. Electric is metered. Winter storage from Nov until end of March is £200.

As we have a cat that stays at home our normal break is about 5-10 days except for one long break during the year of about 3 weeks when the cat needs to go into the cattery. We probably go away once about every six weeks. Normal cost per night is about £28 and in high season £32 a night and that includes our two dogs. Weston in high season is jam packed and we don't t like crowds.

OH is undecided as she is wondering if it will be cost effective or whether we should look around for other sites that offer seasonal pitches which may be more cost effective and a longer season. Our main concern at the moment is the looming budget and associated extra and unforeseen costs and she wants to put brakes on any commitments.

However after seeing the costs associated with seasonal sites OH has hinted that maybe we should hang in there for another year if we have no response to our selling posts on the Buccaneer group. Guess it is now wait and see.
Cost effectiveness is difficult to quantify in your situation as you may use it more given it’s so much easier to just pop down for a couple of day than if having to tow. So your utilisation may increase.

When I put ours for sale I had two sensible offers from buying agents that were around 10-15% lower than estimated trade in costs. But trade ins only work if you are buying another caravan. But they would have paid and collected within 24 hours if its condition was as advertised. However the market was very buoyant and it was early summer. Things have changed considerably since then, but I suspect it may not get much better, if at all by next summer.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cost effectiveness is difficult to quantify in your situation as you may use it more given it’s so much easier to just pop down for a couple of day than if having to tow. So your utilisation may increase.

Things have changed considerably since then, but I suspect it may not get much better, if at all by next summer.
The site is just under 90 miles away or 90 minutes drive. The Corolla is not a comfortable drive for that sort of distance so we would need to keep the Jeep. Solo on motorway Jeep can do about 32mpg on average. Corolla about 42mpg?

Your last sentence sums it up very well. If we do get a bite for the caravan at our asking price we would be pleasantly surprised and the asking price for the caravan is probably slightly below if you take into consideration all the extras like AWD, Air con, mounted Sat dish, ALDE continuous hot water system and a host of other upgrades.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The site is just under 90 miles away or 90 minutes drive. The Corolla is not a comfortable drive for that sort of distance so we would need to keep the Jeep. Solo on motorway Jeep can do about 32mpg on average. Corolla about 42mpg?

Your last sentence sums it up very well. If we do get a bite for the caravan at our asking price we would be pleasantly surprised and the asking price for the caravan is probably slightly below if you take into consideration all the extras like AWD, Air con, mounted Sat dish, ALDE continuous hot water system and a host of other upgrades.
From what’s coming across is that basically you are both minded to sell the caravan. If that is the case I would do as Hutch recommends and use other options that will capture a wider potential buyer base than FB group alone.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
From what’s coming across is that basically you are both minded to sell the caravan. If that is the case I would do as Hutch recommends and use other options that will capture a wider potential buyer base than FB group alone.
Clive
See #85.
I think Buckman is paying lip service to SWMBO and shall we say “ hedging his bets”. Well that’s how I read it . If wrong I take full responsibility😇

Reactions: Hutch and Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive
See #85.
I think Buckman is paying lip service to SWMBO and shall we say “ hedging his bets”. Well that’s how I read it . If wrong I take full responsibility😇

Re #87. If the difference between a jeeps mpg and a Corollas mpg on a 90 mile journey is a factor then that to me indicates a level of uncertainty associated with a seasonal pitch on WSM.

When the chance of a seasonal at WSM cropped up I amongst others advised going for it, if it allows continued enjoyment of the caravan, with the caveat “all things being equal’. But it’s Buckman and his wife’s decision so I will now just let them get on with it, as it’s not easy.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Re #87. If the difference between a jeeps mpg and a Corollas mpg on a 90 mile journey is a factor then that to me indicates a level of uncertainty associated with a seasonal pitch on WSM.

When the chance of a seasonal at WSM cropped up I amongst others advised going for it, if it allows continued enjoyment of the caravan, with the caveat “all things being equal’. But it’s Buckman and his wife’s decision so I will now just let them get on with it, as it’s not easy.
Which ever way you look at it, a 1996 Corolla is not suited to long journeys which is why for long trips we prefer the jeep as a whole lot more comfortable. Correct it is not an easy decision. We will probably take a drive down to the site on Monday to help us with our decision making.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I also think that your caravan, being special in that it has, self leveling, Air conditioning, Sat dish and Alde continues water heater, You might find someone who wants it but a lot of others do not.
Not interested in all the extra gizmos.
Good luck though.

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I also think that your caravan, being special in that it has, self leveling, Air conditioning, Sat dish and Alde continues water heater, You might find someone who wants it but a lot of others do not.
Not interested in all the extra gizmos.
Good luck though.
You’re pulling my chain😜
Hutch , the man who buys top of the range cars and caravans for all the extra gizmos ie Premium Santa Fe and VIP Coachman 😎😎

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
You’re pulling my chain😜
Hutch , the man who buys top of the range cars and caravans for all the extra gizmos ie Premium Santa Fe and VIP Coachman 😎😎
But you don't always get your money back for YOUR spending , on the gizmos.
I wouldn't buy a caravan with an Aircon, open the windows and have a fan.

20160825_193404 (1).jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts