Renting towcar

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So here’s an interesting one.

We don’t really need such a large car all year round.

Does anyone just rent a car for when it is caravan time?

Just wondering!!!

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
It sounds like a good idea, however I have never seen a Hire Car available with a towbar before. Most Hire Companies tend to rotate their fleets pretty regularly and I wonder if they would see the addition of a towbar as an expensive addition which they are unlikely to recoup?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are companies that hire cars with towbars, I have been in a car hire office when they have organised a replacement vehicle with a tow bar, they tend to be 4x4s, perhaps run through a search engine and see what is available, not sure how economic short term hire would be or availability on a regular basis

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
So are you thinking about getting rid of your Phev and getting a smaller more economical car and hiring a tow car when you want to go away ?

That means you have the faff on with insurance and get a reg plate for the caravan each time you have a different reg ..... :unsure:

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Just a conversation we were having regarding economy. Our Mitsi (diesel, not PHEV) only needs to be so big for the caravan. The rest of the time we don’t need something so big.

I see you point regarding insurance etc though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some rental companies can supply vehicles with towbars, but as Woodsiboy suggests they tend to be commercial vehicles. There is a local company near me who has supplied a minibus with a tow ball, and I've seen several transit vans for theirs being used by a local building contractor to pull mini diggers and Vibro-rollers around.

However it might be interesting to ask a few rental companies. It might be the way forward for some caravanners who perhaps only caravan a few times a year.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Just a conversation we were having regarding economy. Our Mitsi (diesel, not PHEV) only needs to be so big for the caravan. The rest of the time we don’t need something so big.

I see you point regarding insurance etc though.

Apologies , your Mitsi :lol:
It also depends on different people's situations where they work how they travel as we need the car for 3 or 4 miles a day travel for my wife's work , I use the bike to commute and run to and from work and with us getting free transport travel with my job I got rid of my little C1 last year ! So it depends .

Even last year with our trip to France and doing 2ooo miles we only done 73oo and a bit last year and thats going away as much as we can

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Is there a smaller saloon or estate car you like which could pull the van and split the difference?Alternatively you could swap to the PHEV Outlander if your MTPLM is 1500KG or below. You could then use the electric range for low-cost local mileage and only suffer the low MPG when towing - PCV recon 29mpg in hybrid mode (about the same as my XC60) and 24mpg with a flat battery but I've heard as low as 17mpg for older versions.

https://youtu.be/oAavxOy1-SI

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The only rental cars with tow bars that I know of in our area are 4x4 models. They are quite expensive to rent though, so may not be a viable option.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The CMHC&CCC overseas recovery service will sometimes provide a tow bar equipped vehicle but whether they come from the international chains or regional suppliers I don’t know. Perhaps a call to them might give some info.
I should have said a UK vehicle if your own car fails or has accident before the holiday. They will also do same abroad but the vehicle doesn’t come into UK.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Whilst we were in France this year the couple at the back of us were waiting for their friends to come but broke down as they were coming through france and were forced to take refuge on a temporary site and whilst recovery was organised for them they were given a 68 plate Ford Ranger for towing their twin axle caravan

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid that is the sort of hire vehicle that has a tow bar, but at least it would be big enough and strong enough for the job. Personally I would have preferred a Range Rover but the cost is going to be far higher.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
I am afraid that is the sort of hire vehicle that has a tow bar, but at least it would be big enough and strong enough for the job. Personally I would have preferred a Range Rover but the cost is going to be far higher.

At least the Ford Ranger will get you to your destination. When I started off roading in my Pajero some wit told me the following advice. If you want to go into the jungle get a Land Rover. If you want to come out of the jungle get a Land Cruiser. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts