Replacement AGM battery

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
"Made by xxxxx" and "made in the same factory as xxxxx" could mean anything - it's all down to detailed specifications which don't get published. It would be naive to think there aren't any differences.

I bought a Yuasa EFB battery for the caravan, first brand-new battery any of my caravans have ever had in 40 years - at 2 years old my AWS technician declared it "failed, needs replacing".
I didn’t actually say that the Halfords batteries by Yuasa are identical to the OEM batteries. I was just providing information. . I’m not that naive !

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
On checking the battery this morning I noticed that at 2035 hours the voltage had actually increased to 11.8v possibly because yesterday we had some sunshine. Perhaps if it is charging and holding the charge there is a possibility that the battery is still okay and just in need of a decent charge?

The drain is obviously the alarm and tracker?
If tracker is flatting it then place it on load side of solar controller, I assume it has low voltage cutoff setting. My cheap chinese one does 10.5-11.5v adjustability. 11.5v while not ideal is lot better than 6v.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A while ago we bought a car battery from a well known Online retailer. Unfortunately within a year the battery would not hold the charge so we contacted the Online retailer regarding a warranty claim. They did some checks and said there is a possibility that the battery is faulty.

The Online dealer required me to fit some plugs to prevent leakage and left it up to me to contact a courier. Of course the plugs had been dumped months ago, but they did send some new ones. I would have had to pay the courier if I was able to find one that would transport a battery. If the battery was faulty I would be reimbursed.

The catch was that the courier was expensive and if the Online retailer found no fault then I would need to pay for the return of the battery. As the battery cost us about £60 I decided it would be less hassle to buy another locally and dumped the other battery that was not holding the charge.

Can't fault their service, but since that episode paid the extra for battery to be fitted locally and that paid off last year when the incorrect battery was fitted to my Jeep!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A while ago we bought a car battery from a well known Online retailer. Unfortunately within a year the battery would not hold the charge so we contacted the Online retailer regarding a warranty claim. They did some checks and said there is a possibility that the battery is faulty.

The Online dealer required me to fit some plugs to prevent leakage and left it up to me to contact a courier. Of course the plugs had been dumped months ago, but they did send some new ones. I would have had to pay the courier if I was able to find one that would transport a battery. If the battery was faulty I would be reimbursed.

The catch was that the courier was expensive and if the Online retailer found no fault then I would need to pay for the return of the battery. As the battery cost us about £60 I decided it would be less hassle to buy another locally and dumped the other battery that was not holding the charge.

Can't fault their service, but since that episode paid the extra for battery to be fitted locally and that paid off last year when the incorrect battery was fitted to my Jeep!
I had a similar experience with an online retailer and since then all batteries have been sourced locally.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If tracker is flatting it then place it on load side of solar controller, I assume it has low voltage cutoff setting. My cheap chinese one does 10.5-11.5v adjustability. 11.5v while not ideal is lot better than 6v.
I have been toying with the idea of replacing the standard controller with a MPPT controller. I guess it is not too difficult to do. Victron and Morningstar have been suggested?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I didn’t actually say that the Halfords batteries by Yuasa are identical to the OEM batteries. I was just providing information. . I’m not that naive !
So what's the value in knowing that Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa?

IMO, battery brands stand, or fall, on their own reputation not that of some other brand which may use the same production facility.

The Bosch AGM I've recently bought for my Touareg is made in the same factory as the OE Varta AGM, but means nothing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So what's the value in knowing that Halfords batteries are made by Yuasa?

IMO, battery brands stand, or fall, on their own reputation not that of some other brand which may use the same production facility.

The Bosch AGM I've recently bought for my Touareg is made in the same factory as the OE Varta AGM, but means nothing.
“The Bosch AGM I've recently bought for my Touareg is made in the same factory as the OE Varta AGM, but means nothing.”

I would consider that as relevant given the two battery makes, Bosch and Varta” are likely to benefit from a common QA and QC system. I’d go for Varta as they make excellent submarine propulsion batteries. 😱

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
“The Bosch AGM I've recently bought for my Touareg is made in the same factory as the OE Varta AGM, but means nothing.”

I would consider that as relevant given the two battery makes, Bosch and Varta” are likely to benefit from a common QA and QC system. I’d go for Varta as they make excellent submarine propulsion batteries. 😱
I chose the Bosch as it was £5 cheaper, on a £200+ battery, and the warranty was longer at 5 years, compared to the Varta's 4 years.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The catch was that the courier was expensive and if the Online retailer found no fault then I would need to pay for the return of the battery.

I can't see any "catch" in the vendor not refunding the cost associated with their battery not being faulty.

Surely where they are not themselves in anyway at fault, but the defect lays elsewhere, its not them who should carry any cost involved?
Sorry but I really don't see why it is expected under those circumstances the vender is responsible, and it can in no way in my logic then to be described as a "catch".
Is very easy for users to abuse batteries, as reported here a user letting one drop to 6 volts!;)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Well a few weeks ago I bought a Numax Leisure online from Tayna.. This isn’t the first time but the price was good. I understand the hassle factor but if the battery is faulty a replacement will be supplied plus reimbursement of my courier charge.

Now here’s a strange thing taken straight from Halfords website.

Car Batteries​

If you need a car battery replacement, check out our great range of batteries below for all different makes and models of vehicles. Choose between a reliable Halfords or Yuasa battery.

Note They refer to the two makes separately? Is that badge engineering or a sop to make you pay more for Yuasa?🤔
Some say Exide make the Halfords batteries. Maybe there’s no thing as a free lunch 😜😜

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I can't see any "catch" in the vendor not refunding the cost associated with their battery not being faulty.

Surely where they are not themselves in anyway at fault, but the defect lays elsewhere, its not them who should carry any cost involved?
Sorry but I really don't see why it is expected under those circumstances the vender is responsible, and it can in no way in my logic then to be described as a "catch".
Is very easy for users to abuse batteries, as reported here a user letting one drop to 6 volts!;)
I was referring to returning the battery, costs courier and associated hassles. Maybe "catch" was the incorrect word?

Reactions: JTQ
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well a few weeks ago I bought a Numax Leisure online from Tayna.. This isn’t the first time but the price was good. I understand the hassle factor but if the battery is faulty a replacement will be supplied plus reimbursement of my courier charge.

Now here’s a strange thing taken straight from Halfords website.

Car Batteries​

If you need a car battery replacement, check out our great range of batteries below for all different makes and models of vehicles. Choose between a reliable Halfords or Yuasa battery.

Note They refer to the two makes separately? Is that badge engineering or a sop to make you pay more for Yuasa?🤔
Some say Exide make the Halfords batteries. Maybe there’s no thing as a free lunch 😜😜
The principle difficulty that I found in returning the battery was that none of the national carriers would accept a used LA battery as they are classed as Hazardous Waste and a Carrier has to be licensed. Why I don’t know has there’s little if any difference between a used one and a new one especially if the used one has its vent plugs inserted and in a sealed non permeable wrap. But in the end the supplier condescendingly agreed to use their delivery courier for my new battery to accept the failed one for return…. at a cost of £25 which I never did get returned.

Wrt Halfords I’m not surprised that they differentiate between the Halfords and Yuasa brand, presumably they would do the same if their next contract went to another supplier such as Lucas. Perhaps it’s a clause in their contract that the supplying maker gets a bit of publicity.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I suppose the differences between Batteries manufactured in the same facility. Can possibly be the same as Breakfast, Cornflakes made at the same factory.
You get the basic and then the better one.
The choice is your own.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think if I am going to replace the battery, we might as well replace the current Truma solar panel controller with a Victron MPPT 75/10 which seems to be adequate for our needs.

I think that the current Truma is not charging the battery sufficiently due to the sun being so low during the day in the winter months. The MPPT should overcome this issue and hopefully preserve the battery longer.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I think if I am going to replace the battery, we might as well replace the current Truma solar panel controller with a Victron MPPT 75/10 which seems to be adequate for our needs.

I think that the current Truma is not charging the battery sufficiently due to the sun being so low during the day in the winter months. The MPPT should overcome this issue and hopefully preserve the battery longer.
I replaced my old pwm controller with the Victron, just make sure you get the one with Bluetooth. Quick tip it's NOT the one sold as Blue solar 😱

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site

Your understanding of the benefits of an MPPT controller is flawed.

An MPPT charge controller cannot:
a) alter the angle of your solar panel to optimise solar energy harvesting.
b) align your solar panel azimuth to optimise solar energy harvesting.

Reactions: JTQ
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your understanding of the benefits of an MPPT controller is flawed.

An MPPT charge controller cannot:
a) alter the angle of your solar panel to optimise solar energy harvesting.
b) align your solar panel azimuth to optimise solar energy harvesting.
I have had MPPT on a previous caravan at the same storage site so I am well aware of the benefits and I like to think my understanding is not flawed.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Whilst Anseo is quite correct the changing to an MPPT controller can't possibly alter the claimed Truma controller's issue, "being the low sun angle" it might help on two counts.
It is likely IMO to be a better controller, and the MPPT technology is better able to extract a bit more from what has to be presently still a very low potential yield.
These aspects might be enough to help make the set up automatous.
Again IMO, changing out the Truma is a good move, particularly at the present price being quoted for the Victron MPPT 75/10.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
While replacing controller, move Alarm to its load output which can cut power to Alarm if battery is getting to low.

The built in Truma may have load output with low voltage cutoff.

TRENDING THREADS