Replacement AGM battery

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When it come to buying an item (such as a battery) from a retailer that has their name put on it, unless the retailer states as part of the description that the item is made by a particular manufacture, you cannot assume the retailer will always use the same manufacturer. They can use any product that meets the specification sourced from where very they can get the best deal.

And you can't go just by the looks of the product. It's entirely possible a recognised brand manufacturer might use the same case, but use different materials inside either to keep price down, or to ensure there is areal differentiation between manufacturer's brands and retailers rebranded products they produce.

Having two products made in the same factory or even on the same production line is no guarantee the same level of care is awarded to both products (the caravan industry proves that every day).

Just as an example, I will purchase own brand Scandinavian spreadable butter products from a variety of different supermarkets. Each companies product has a slightly different colour enough to see the difference, so the product mixes are unique, yet several of the packs clearly have the date and batch codes in using the same typeface and in milimeter precise same position on the packs.

But also the plastic packs are physically identical down to the forming impression marks left by the vacuum moulding process

Same case different contents.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
And CRA stands no matter who said what or who packed what? Profs post takes us into fakes. A far larger real time problem than most realise. But equally not is all doom and gloom. Sony TVs have been made in a Chinese factory for years. Next door a few years ago the original Chinese owner opened a new factory virtually next door. Hisense. Which? Praised the quality and design. I bought my Grandson one. Brilliant piece of kit. Remove the sony or Hisense name you’d never know the difference

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And CRA stands no matter who said what or who packed what? Profs post takes us into fakes. A far larger real time problem than most realise. But equally not is all doom and gloom. Sony TVs have been made in a Chinese factory for years. Next door a few years ago the original Chinese owner opened a new factory virtually next door. Hisense. Which? Praised the quality and design. I bought my Grandson one. Brilliant piece of kit. Remove the sony or Hisense name you’d never know the difference

My post does not raise the possibility of fakes. I am simply dispatching the myth that if two products are made in the same factory, it does not automatically mean they have the same characteristics or be manufactured or treated equally within that business.

Reactions: Martin_E
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many years ago the Yahama and Mercury outboard engines came from the same factory. Apparently the Mercury engine had the HP measure at source i.e. the block and the Yamaha engine had HP measured at output propeller if that makes any sense to engineers. Parts etc were interchangeable.

I have ordered the Victron 75/10 which is ample for our needs. As we are not using the caravan at present and probably will not until Easter, I will delay the purchase of the battery until Feb as it peaked at 12.1v yesterday at 11am dropping down to 11,7v at midnight or 12am.

Battery in early Feb and the new tyres all round in early March. It is like having the caravan on permanent HP! LOL! :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
New Victron controller arrived yesterday however I have another problem is that although the caravan is in storage less than 10 miles away I cannot fit the unit at present as it will take over 3 hours just to get to the storage compound and another 3 hours to get back! :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
New Victron controller arrived yesterday however I have another problem is that although the caravan is in storage less than 10 miles away I cannot fit the unit at present as it will take over 3 hours just to get to the storage compound and another 3 hours to get back! :ROFLMAO:
Floods?

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Driving from Devon to Northampton today, going M5,M42,M6,A14 avoiding my straight normal route across the Avon and Cherwell valleys as it looks like it might be a bit wet there :eek:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We fitted the Victron MPPT controller on Friday so although early days, it is showing a slight improvement in battery charging. Hopefully we can get the battery to live a bit longer.

We have also been advised that Pure lead carbon AGM batteries can cope with much lower temperatures than lithium and standard AGM batteries . They can also cope well with dropping below 50% and have a much faster recharge rate. Apparently paired with a MPPT they would be perfect.

Problem is if we do go for the pure lead carbon battery, I cannot find any with the positive terminal on the right side of the battery. However there is a Powerplus AGM battery on the market for £140 incl delivery and instead of 90ah I will have 120ah at my disposal. It comes with a 5 year warranty.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lead carbon tend to be used more in renewables systems. Victron make them. But why are you looking at such a “hybrid” when quality lead acid batteries will fulfill your needs at less cost. I am sure there are LA batteries with size and terminals to fit your requirement and a far wider choice than lead carbon which aren’t common in leisure applications.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Lead carbon tend to be used more in renewables systems. Victron make them. But why are you looking at such a “hybrid” when quality lead acid batteries will fulfill your needs at less cost. I am sure there are LA batteries with size and terminals to fit your requirement and a wider choice than lead carbon.

Thanks. Our caravan came standard with AGM battery probably for a reason so prefer to stick with what we know. I am not overly bothered with the Pure lead carbon battery, but thought I would mention it as others may not have heard of this type of battery. It was a first for me! Seems that only Leoch sell them and from pictures they do not have standard terminals?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We fitted the Victron MPPT controller on Friday so although early days, it is showing a slight improvement in battery charging. Hopefully we can get the battery to live a bit longer.

We have also been advised that Pure lead carbon AGM batteries can cope with much lower temperatures than lithium and standard AGM batteries . They can also cope well with dropping below 50% and have a much faster recharge rate. Apparently paired with a MPPT they would be perfect.

Problem is if we do go for the pure lead carbon battery, I cannot find any with the positive terminal on the right side of the battery. However there is a Powerplus AGM battery on the market for £140 incl delivery and instead of 90ah I will have 120ah at my disposal. It comes with a 5 year warranty.
The leads in every caravan I've had were long enough to reach either end of the battery - so the +/- terminal orientation was irelevant.

Reactions: Hutch
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The leads in every caravan I've had were long enough to reach either end of the battery - so the +/- terminal orientation was irelevant.
No issue them reaching the terminals, but instead of the terminals being towards the front, they will be at the rear. Not sure as I have never removed the battery, but they may be just that bit too short to reach the terminals if they are reversed. Plus of course the Leoch battery does not have the normal terminals? TBH I prefer the easier option where it would be a straight forward swap. (y) :)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No issue them reaching the terminals, but instead of the terminals being towards the front, they will be at the rear. Not sure as I have never removed the battery, but they may be just that bit too short to reach the terminals if they are reversed. Plus of course the Leoch battery does not have the normal terminals? TBH I prefer the easier option where it would be a straight forward swap. (y) :)
If you turn the battery around, the terminals will be at the front - and the leads should be long enough to reach, in most caravans anyway.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d agree with your decision as the LC aren’t anywhere near mainstream for leisure vehicles. If the should even get there. The realistic options are LA and its derivatives (AGM, Gel, ) or straight to Lithium.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Bit the bullet and ordered another Yuasa 95ah battery as the last one lasted us over 6 years however it does not seem to be holding a charge with average voltage down to 11.5v raising some days to about 12v for a couple of hours even with a whole day of sunshine.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Reads more an inadequate matching of the solar system to the drains , than a battery issue.
Come the better weather as the year progresses this will easy but by then the battery might be damaged by the present "abuse".

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Reads more an inadequate matching of the solar system to the drains , that a battery issue.
Come the better weather as the year progresses this will easy but by then the battery might be damaged by the present "abuse".
The highest it has been in the past 30 days is 12.4v and at 6 years it is expected that the battery needs to be replaced. Next is the tyres as all four need replacing.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The highest it has been in the past 30 days is 12.4v and at 6 years it is expected that the battery needs to be replaced. Next is the tyres as all four need replacing.
I am the same, battery might last another year, We don't expect to go off grid, and the battery sits for weeks at 12.6 v, until I recharge it.
The tyres, I will get two new Hankook vanlanders,( 195, 70, R15) from Black circles, £98 each. Unless, anyone knows of cheaper deals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts