Replacement for Ford Kuga

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
And what I've noticed with the size of the car we have even with the boot full of similar things to what you have just said ( minus the bike ) and with the caravan on the back , the car doesn't even look like it's got anything hitched up on the back suspension wise . But I wouldn't fancy putting it onto in Estate version car with what we have just said and the size of our vans I think you'd probably lose the back tyres !

I see many cars about towing large vans and you'd think they were going into orbit the way the front of the car is pointing up !! :blink:
SUV always for me now .

Craig
Don’t forget that many larger estate cars will have self levelling suspension. But the large Ford MPVs are good all round vehicles which ride well solo or laden.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems to be an increasing misconception here in the uk that you need an SUV or large 4x4 to tow a caravan. I'm not disputing that some such vehicles often do make good tow vehicles, but it's illogical to jump straight to those without considering the other vehicles which are still very capable tow cars.

You only have to look to the continent where despite caravans being slightly bigger than most equivalent UK models, far fewer caravanners opt for SUV and large 4x4's, because the manage perfectly well with suitably chosen cars that ask work very well for their daily driving needs.

Many caravanners have to use their tow cars for their daily transport needs, and will often do 95% domestic running and only 5%towing. From an economy point of view it's better to suffer poor mpg for a few miles of towng than to suffer the generally lower mpg of certainly the alarmed 4x4's all year round.

The motor industry has more than enough evidence that on balance servicing and running costs of 4x4's are on average higher than a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Handling of taller vehicles often introduces compromises in comfort.

SUVs are tending to fall in the middle, but there are so many different variations, some with 4,wheel drive in many cases especially the smaller ones are basically saloon cars dressed up to look more chunky and despite their looks they often don't have the necessary weight or power to haul a caravan.

It pays to look beyond what the pack are doing, as there may be a great vehicle out there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
It seems to be an increasing misconception here in the uk that you need an SUV or large 4x4 to tow a caravan. I'm not disputing that some such vehicles often do make good tow vehicles, but it's illogical to jump straight to those without considering the other vehicles which are still very capable tow cars.

You only have to look to the continent where despite caravans being slightly bigger than most equivalent UK models, far fewer caravanners opt for SUV and large 4x4's, because the manage perfectly well with suitably chosen cars that ask work very well for their daily driving needs.

Many caravanners have to use their tow cars for their daily transport needs, and will often do 95% domestic running and only 5%towing. From an economy point of view it's better to suffer poor mpg for a few miles of towng than to suffer the generally lower mpg of certainly the alarmed 4x4's all year round.

The motor industry has more than enough evidence that on balance servicing and running costs of 4x4's are on average higher than a 2 wheel drive vehicle. Handling of taller vehicles often introduces compromises in comfort.

SUVs are tending to fall in the middle, but there are so many different variations, some with 4,wheel drive in many cases especially the smaller ones are basically saloon cars dressed up to look more chunky and despite their looks they often don't have the necessary weight or power to haul a caravan.

It pays to look beyond what the pack are doing, as there may be a great vehicle out there.

Prof
Increasingly I seem to be seeing nice size caravans towed with larger saloon cars or hatchbacks, viz Jaguar, Merc, BMW, and even the ubiquitous Mondeos, Insignais and Mazdas. So unless those owners are really constricting their enjoyment of our hobby their vehicles must have something going for them. I've been through the whole gamut, and rate my current estate up with the best that I've owned. Pity Mrs OC doesn't like lower riding vehicles with high sides and bonnets for improved safety!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Prof , My friends on the continent, tend to go away for a 6 week to 8 week holiday to one place, and not "tour" as the Brits tend to do , also until recently the continental vans seem to be lighter and have less built in items , ie, micro wave, big cookers and showers, they are more common now, the little Aribas are really Tardis's it amazing what comes out of them, and as they pass us at 130 kph, wow. With big Volvo, Mercs and BMW's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Hutch,
Your continental friends may not tour, but they still need to get the caravan to their chosen sites and back again, so touring is a red herring. Size for size continental caravans may be lighter, but they tend to go for bigger vans so designated they tow will be similar, and still they tend to use cars not SUV's or 4x4s.

For some people 4x4 may be a logical choice, but for significant proportion of UK caravanner's they could find a larger car or MPV provides all the towing capacity and capability they really need. 4x4 is not always or automatically the best choice.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The OP wanted advice on something similar to his Kuga,as stated he'd looked at similar mid size suv,NOT estates or saloons,
The running costs of a mid size suv is no different to any other car,unless you factor in 4x4, basically a Kuga is a jacked up focus,a Tiguan is a jacked up golf.
If you run a discovery or shogun etc(large SUVs)which are predominantly 4x4 you'll get higher running costs.
As for mph,my first zafira could only tow 1100 kg,latest on 12 plate only towed 1300kg,granted the s-max is loads heavier and can tow more,BUT that's not what the OP wants.As Craig said you hook up a caravan to a mid size suv and the back end doesn't drop coz it's built for this in mind,whereas most estates etc will sag a little/lot on loading, RANT OVER.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
.... Hook up a caravan to a mid size suv and the back end doesn't drop coz it's built for this in mind,whereas most estates etc will sag a little/lot on loading, RANT OVER.

As you suggest, many SUV's are basic saloons on steroids. It might make them look butch, but it rarely does much for the underpinnings. The SUV's built in Europe and the far East are not generally given much stiffer suspensions or stronger engines than their normal road car doner vehicles so are no more capable of towing.

They certainly are not specifically designed with towing in mind they are more boutique models. Made to look like something they really not - tough go anywhere vehicles. Show most of them 10% gradient ice covered road, and they'll flounder just as much any normal car. Only those with four wheel drive might do better.

Sometimes offering a suggestion other than what has been asked can cause the questioner to look again at something they previously had discounted and perhaps realise it's more appropriate than they had thought. It's not as if suggesting alternative tow vehicles is off topic.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
As a newbie, just having gone through the whole matching process, and having a fair knowledge of the auto industry, the basic issue is not whether it's an SUV or whatever, but that the motor industry is trying to drive down emissions to meet Euro 6 and whatever will follow. The main route to do this is REDUCING vehicle weight and working at novel ideas with engines (e.g. Ford EcoBoost). This is absolutely out of line with what we require - i.e. the 85% kerb weight of a 1500kg caravan (plus or minus).

I had a Renault Kadjar, which when I first started matching wouldn't align with any caravan I was interested in, only because the Kerb Weight is around 1300kg! The car looks big, roughly the same as the Kuga, but c 400kg lighter. I've now had to change that for a Kuga to be able to tow both legally and sensibly.

The SUV attraction is for other reasons; I had knee surgery last year, and had to give up my previous Focus because it was damned difficult to get out of the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brasso530 said:
.... Hook up a caravan to a mid size suv and the back end doesn't drop coz it's built for this in mind,whereas most estates etc will sag a little/lot on loading, RANT OVER.

As you suggest, many SUV's are basic saloons on steroids. It might make them look butch, but it rarely does much for the underpinnings. The SUV's built in Europe and the far East are not generally given much stiffer suspensions or stronger engines than their normal road car doner vehicles so are no more capable of towing.

They certainly are not specifically designed with towing in mind they are more boutique models. Made to look like something they really not - tough go anywhere vehicles. Show most of them 10% gradient ice covered road, and they'll flounder just as much any normal car. Only those with four wheel drive might do better.

Sometimes offering a suggestion other than what has been asked can cause the questioner to look again at something they previously had discounted and perhaps realise it's more appropriate than they had thought. It's not as if suggesting alternative tow vehicles is off topic.

EDIT
I've just re read the OP
Steve619 said:
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Having now followed the brief, and having just gone through this myself, I believe the OP has listed the appropriate vehicles. The Outlander PHEV doesn't get a good write up, and I believe you'll find it difficult to get the same capability from something other than another Kuga. If you want to look at other good tow cars at a good price, I've seen some amazing prices on Volvo XC60's (3,500 miles for £25k on a 67 plate for example). Autotrader is your friend set up a very specific search, and save it...

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Steve619 said:
Hi everyone hoping for some advice here as i'm new to the caravan game.
I've currently got a Ford Kuga 2l diesel fwd and im in the market to change it for something long term as it is currently on PCP and i have recently purchased a swift major 6 MPTLM 1480kg. I could keep the current car but being as we are looking to keep the next car long term i would like something with a higher spec.
My issue is though that i am struggling to find another new car that equals the Kuga for :-
1. Price
2.Towing capacity
3. Reasonable everyday running cost (Commuting car)
It seems car companys dont want to make 2litre diesels any longer and short of inflating the price massively to buy top end models such as the Kia Sportage to get a 2 litre i feel kind of stuck.
Has anyone got any suggestions to an SUV i'm missing as i've been to Kia, Mitsubishi etc and it seems everything is petrol or hybrid?
Would a petrol or hybrid tow the Major 6?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I tow 1700kg with a 2.2 175ps AWD auto Mazda cx-5.
Or try a 2L Tucson 185 auto AWD.
I've recently ordered a 190ps SEL Tiguan which is well over 1700kg with a tow limit of 2200 to 2500kg.

Plenty of diesel choice still out there IMO.

Apr 4, 2019
Visit site
xtrailman said:
Or if you want larger Xtrail now has 177ps but only a 1650kg tow limit in auto.

Hey guys,

Didn't want to create ANOTHER post because I am sure this subject is bandied about:

My 2009 CRV 2.2 CDTi is up for MOT next month (always a good time to think about changing/coming up a few years).

A niggle in my mind right now is: "what are the best used SUV's/MPV's for towing, not that wouldn't break the bank" 

Advice welcome. 

FD

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ChrisPat said:
Thanks it's what I expected. May look at Skoda.

Have Superb estate 170 PS with DSG auto and 4wd. Can deliver 30 mpg towing on long trips, and 50mpg on mixed driving again soon longer trips. Once had 62mpg on A9 solo between Aviemore and Inverness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts