Replacement Jockey Wheel

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Had a bit of a disaster when returning home yesterday. The caravan needs maneuvering with the motor mover to be placed where we store it and sadly, not paying attention (done it so many times) I managed to drop the jockey wheel from a paved area and it ended up tight against a rock. I only realised something was wrong when the van stopped moving and "crunching sounds" were heard as the metal of the jockey wheel sort of mounted the rock.
Outcome was a badly bent jockey wheel shaft that took a while to remove from the van because of the bend!
Fortunately I have a spare assembly which has an inflatable tyre fitted. The bottom section of the damaged shaft and the wheel are fit to use again so I'm not without.
However. The main reason that I have a spare pneumatic is that I got fed up with constantly having to inflate it and, in addition, the tyre is starting to show signs of cracking so it's ready for the bin.
The bottom re-usable shaft with wheel could be mated with the top section of the inflatable thingy and I'm good to go.
But ...........................!
I quite fancy a puncture proof wheel. The inflatable in it's heyday did work well with our dropped curb and some uneven surfaces.
The original plastic equipment that came with the van (and I could re-use) has been rather poor when compared to the inflatable except it doesn't need regular pumping up through an inaccessible valve!

Way forward seems a puncture proof inflatable lookalike. My main concern is that if left down for an extended period the tyre would have a flat spot that might never disappear?

Sooooooooooo. I have space to fit a 260 diameter wheel and ample width for the tyre. I would prefer 200 diameter wheel but not essential.
Kartt make an extra wide wheel 220 * 65 which is solid rubber (CW601) and a standard 200 * 56 (KW008) version - both of which seem well regarded.

Advice please.

PS. I'm currently leaning towards the Kartt extra wide but can't see where the axle diameter is recorded - mine is 20 mm. Nor can I find the shaft length .

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Machine Mart advertise two 200 then 240 and 260 diameter and give noseweight allowance
Maypole MP424 48mm Split Clamp for Jockey Wheels - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

You can buy the wheels (with tyre) if this is possible for your spare kit - this one is 220mm
Trailer Jockey Spare Wheel Only (220 x 65mm) | L&S Engineers (lsengineers.co.uk)

And Towsure also sell spare wheels of different dimensions
Caravan Jockey Wheel Spares - Towsure.com

I think you also need to know the axle length of your kit to get the right option.

Best of luck and sorry to hear that your question has arisen from an ill placed rock!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have this one. It works really well. You are worrying unnecessarily re flat spots. There should be little weight on the wheel when parked. When I park long term I put a wood block under the assembly, but it’s not really necessary.

I would not go back to anything else.

John

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I've just replaced my oem plastic wheel with the Kartt one. The axle diameter is 20mm but it was a little tight to fit on the existing one so I just used the one that came with it.

Overall wheel diameter was about 205-210mm

Happy with it so far but on deep gravel it still digs in a bit, but then it won't go flat.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions.

Jury still out but looking like a choice between the Kartt extra wide (CW601) that Sam is using or the puncture proof style John has.

I do like the needle bearings in the puncture proof although max load is only 100 kg. If I stop at 15 different sites in a typical year - some of which require a motor mover - then I can't see the wheel traveling much more than a few hundred yards in its lifetime. Perhaps a simple plastic "bearing" would be just as effective and provide a higher loading (130 kg).

The larger diameter wheel clearly gives greater height from ground to steel mounting point which would be useful for "lowered" curb mounting, something I have to do when returning home.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The reason I replaced the standard plastic wheel was due to the fact that my driveway consists of 20mm granite chippings. Its on a slope and in places the chippings can be over 50mm deep. The plastic wheel didn't realy roll over the chippings but mostly plowed its way through. Very noisey and some lateral movement of the post which I didn't care for. I now take the van up and down the drive backwards which helps but I still have to do a 180deg turn at the top on the gravel.

First consideration was pneumatic but a couple of potential problems put me off this. One being that if you get a flat tyre just before setting out, either at home or away, you might be snookered unless you have a spare. Second point was that in some instances the tyre can come off - e.g when turning. Snookered again.

Having looked around for a different wheel it became apparent to me there was little choice that would be very similar in size to what I have. Specifically the outer diameter couldn't be much larger because the forks where the axle goes through taper towards the post. So a larger diamter wheel of same width wouldn't fit. Additionally I wanted a wheel of similar width to fit between the forks without any slop. The Kartt wheel met both these criteria.

Weight isn't a problem since I only have to contend with a nose weight of 70-75Kg

It's not perfect over my chippings but its a lot better than the plastic one which was showing wear after only a few journeys up and down.

Maybe a puncture proof tyre might be ok but I couldn't find one that would fit properly.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
The reason I replaced the standard plastic wheel was due to the fact that my driveway consists of 20mm granite chippings. Its on a slope and in places the chippings can be over 50mm deep. The plastic wheel didn't realy roll over the chippings but mostly plowed its way through. Very noisey and some lateral movement of the post which I didn't care for. I now take the van up and down the drive backwards which helps but I still have to do a 180deg turn at the top on the gravel.

First consideration was pneumatic but a couple of potential problems put me off this. One being that if you get a flat tyre just before setting out, either at home or away, you might be snookered unless you have a spare. Second point was that in some instances the tyre can come off - e.g when turning. Snookered again.

Having looked around for a different wheel it became apparent to me there was little choice that would be very similar in size to what I have. Specifically the outer diameter couldn't be much larger because the forks where the axle goes through taper towards the post. So a larger diamter wheel of same width wouldn't fit. Additionally I wanted a wheel of similar width to fit between the forks without any slop. The Kartt wheel met both these criteria.

Weight isn't a problem since I only have to contend with a nose weight of 70-75Kg

It's not perfect over my chippings but its a lot better than the plastic one which was showing wear after only a few journeys up and down.

Maybe a puncture proof tyre might be ok but I couldn't find one that would fit properly.

Thanks for this Sam.

I am certain a larger puncture proof 260 diameter wheel will fit but only in the pneumatic tyre jockey wheel assembly which is considerably wider between the forks and with a longer "reach" than the OEM jockey wheel currently fitted. I very much doubt the puncture proof 260 wheel would fit in the OEM version.

I've now had time to check space using the assembled pneumatic set up and all is good. Axle length is 85 mm which I can easily widen slightly or pack with washers if too wide. I had not actually used the pneumatic tyre version on this van so well worth checking. It tucks up well and presents no "sleeping policeman" or ferry ramp issues.

Certainly the OEM wheel is flimsy in comparison and I don't doubt the overall weight will increase. I usually run at around 90 to 95 so ample leeway.

In conclusion I'll be getting a 260 puncture proof wheel but going for the 130 kg rated non needle bearings version which is, coincidentally, the cheapest option.

Thanks to John for the advice and link provided.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
John....

The axle length is more than the 85mm - this is just the width between the axle bosses on the wheel. I can't recall what the actual axle length is but I did query this with Kartt but then deleted the email. If you need to know the actual axle length I could measure it for you.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
John....

The axle length is more than the 85mm - this is just the width between the axle bosses on the wheel. I can't recall what the actual axle length is but I did query this with Kartt but then deleted the email. If you need to know the actual axle length I could measure it for you.

Thanks Sam. Don't bother going to any trouble yet. I've ordered a replacement and am as sure as I can be that it will fit. Help much appreciated. thanks again.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I wonder why the "solid rubber "tyres work better on grass than the solid plastic or rubber tyres.
I know they do but my engineering mind forgets to ask after three pint of Adnams.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts