Replacement number plates

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Having recently replaced my towcar I need to purchase 3 rear plates, for caravan, trailer, and bike carrier. Presumably the GB with Euro star symbol will gradually be phased out as we are no longer European (!), so I am considering to buy plain or with GB + Union Jack to the left of the reg. The advantage then would be any European travel would presumably not require the old style GB sticker affixed to the rear of the van. As the 3 seem to cost a bit less than 30.00 for MOT legal versions I'd like to make a good decision. Any advice or comments please?

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased one for the caravan from a local car spares shop and he charged me £19.00 for one , Halfords are a couple of quid cheaper,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased one for the caravan from a local car spares shop and he charged me £19.00 for one , Halfords are a couple of quid cheaper,
From reading UKGov advice prior to our two previous attempts to leave the EU the advice was that UK registered vehicle would require the GB sticker and a GB on the side of the number plate wasn’t compliant.

Of course during the transition period nothing changes. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Never trust the plate alone-and go to a local motor factors who will do them for less than a tenner. Get which plate you like but I'd still stick to the recommendation re the GB sticker!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The GB plates will probably not be compliant after this year so what you buy is probably irrelevant. You never know though, what will be agreed in the negotiations, but this one will not be high on the list of priorities.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for your replies and comments.
I have found a local motor factors that will make me up the 3 rear plates that I need - MOT legal and simple, just a yellow plate with standard lettering - £32.00. This beats some internet offereings and I can take my required documents in person rather than trusting them to the post in order to get the plates made up.

Reactions: JezzerB
May 24, 2014
Visit site
You can get number plates cheap online and also without v5. They arent sold as legal plates but are identical to those from the factors. One of the ways your plate can be cloned. Indeed the very first ad on ebay is 13.99 for a pair to your own design.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can get number plates cheap online and also without v5. They arent sold as legal plates but are identical to those from the factors. One of the ways your plate can be cloned. Indeed the very first ad on ebay is 13.99 for a pair to your own design.
The are normally shown as “Show” plates and most of the suppliers will also print the name/postcode and reference number of am issuing station. So in reality it is virtually impossible to tell them from the legit ones other than by following some form of purchase trail from buyer to supplier. Unlikely these days. An easier way if the authorities are concerned would be to shut the website down. But it would pop up again very quickly.

Reactions: Thingy
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Having considered my options I bought 3 plates for 20.00 from an ebay seller, these carry the BS Standard and makers name which distinguishes them from 'show plates'. The nearest local offer was 32.00! My dealer service usually pointed out that the current plate was not compliant, but had no other consequences. I have gone for plain orange plates with the reg number and no other badges or borders. If I tow in Europe I will expect to add a GB sticker to the rear of the van.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Having considered my options I bought 3 plates for 20.00 from an ebay seller, these carry the BS Standard and makers name which distinguishes them from 'show plates'. The nearest local offer was 32.00! My dealer service usually pointed out that the current plate was not compliant, but had no other consequences. I have gone for plain orange plates with the reg number and no other badges or borders. If I tow in Europe I will expect to add a GB sticker to the rear of the van.
I think that they would still not comply with the law of the land. Printing the BS on isn’t that difficult. And it’s okay to put the suppliers name on but are they a registered supplier? Most of the eBay “show plate” suppliers that don’t ask for the required statutory information are not registered. Mine which haven’t yet been put onto the caravan are identical to those on the car including details of the original supplying Subaru dealer for the car and their registration details. But I inserted that into the online software design package.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
May be fine in the caravan but it could fail the mot on the car. Mine did.

I have had them in cars and they went through the MOT okay but I did ensure that they were “ clones” of originals in all the script details. But until we moved house last year my local garage who I had used for eons supplied plates without requiring to see the various documents. But they did know the cars were mine :)

Reactions: JezzerB
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The forum etiquette implies you must not promote illegal activities. Knowingly using non compliant registration plates I think falls into that category.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The forum etiquette implies you must not promote illegal activities. Knowingly using non compliant registration plates I think falls into that category.
The plates are fully compliant in respect of their design and manufacture. MOT regulations do not require the BS details to be printed on them or the suppliers details. The MOT tester checks for physical attributes. The regulations are below:

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't realised that you were a forum moderator Prof.
When did you sign up?
Or are you trying to score points by pretending to be a moderator?

Why would anyone try to save under twenty quid for number plates that will be attatched to a car / caravan outfit costing anything between £15000 - £40000?
The best place to buy number plates is a local car spares outlet, take the required documents and everything will be legal and above board, no ifs or buts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't realised that you were a forum moderator Prof.
When did you sign up?
Or are you trying to score points by pretending to be a moderator?

Why would anyone try to save under twenty quid for number plates that will be attatched to a car / caravan outfit costing anything between £15000 - £40000?
The best place to buy number plates is a local car spares outlet, take the required documents and everything will be legal and above board, no ifs or buts.

A penny saved is a penny gained :) that’s how us hard up pensioners can still afford the hobby and an occasional glass of wine !!!

Reactions: JezzerB and Parksy

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
A penny saved is a penny gained :) that’s how us hard up pensioners can still afford the hobby and an occasional glass of wine !!!
As a pensioner myself I can offset the cost of essentials like proper road legal registration plates with the free bus travel, free prescriptions, free chiropody and reduced price haircuts that us hard up pensioners get 😊

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Interesting; I bought an old motorbike that had plates on that weren't Bs labelled and at the MOT I had to buy a new one from him-mind he was in the process of giving up or folding and isn't around now! Hence I thought it was a legal stipulation-stand corrected!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts