Replacing / Recovering Cushions & Making Curtains

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
This one goes out to all you more experienced caravaners. We have bought a van and my wife wants to update it by recovering the cushions, fitting new carpets, and new curtains. I am sure you have all heard a similar story at one time or another.

Can you give me any pointers in regards to doing any of these. An example is something I read in another thread that you can lift the units so the carpit fits snug underneath.

Also has anyone ever made totaly new cushions instead of just recovering the old ones? If so where did you go for your foam?

Thanks in advance all

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi trevor i have replaced carpets in an elldis and as you say it did mean loseing the base units of the beds etc which if look at them is only a few screws that was a few years ago have recently done my coachman we had a cupboard come open whilst traveling result brown sauce all over the carpet tried to shampoo several times with out sucsess so replaced carpet this time they were not under the fittings and was able to take out in one peice and use as a template made a very good fit and we are pleased with the job even the wife said it was a good job done all the best pete

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Trevor

Go to Equipment and Accessories, page 5, sixth item down and you may find some help on curtains and carpets. Can't help with the cushions though. Recently replaced curtains and carpets in our van and they have made a huge difference. If the seats are in the older style velour (as mine are) you might find that if they are reasonably ok. just replacing curtains and carpet might get you by. Hope this helps.

Chris

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
Hi I recently got my carpet replaced in my Bessacarr Cameo. I had half carpet and half vinyl. I got Carpet Right to fit it - yes they fit in caravans. And I must say what a fantastic job - every nook and cranny cut and fitted to perfection, they did a better job than I ever expected - and didn't have to unscrew a thing. The total cost (for carpet, vinyl and fitting) was

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Bessecarr Cameo too! I have managed to get someone to re-cover the cushions and make new curtains. The curtains are in and look great.

The only thing is that I was wondering what the best way of scotchguarding the fabric is as I have a little girl who is VERY messy.

Jul 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I went all out and had the interior retrimed, i.e cushions re-sprung, re-foamed and re-covered in an up to date fabric. Also had all new curtains and padded pelmets rather than the frilly ones, all this was done by a firm locally who specialize in caravan and motorhome retrims. They are:-

Regal Furishings at Ilkeston Derbyshire.

Tel No. 0115 9329988

e-mail regalfurnishings@yahoo.co.uk

Great service, dropped off the van in the morning and it was ready by 4pm !!! Fantastic job too, totally transformed the van.

I also fitted a new carpet (carpet tiles) again recomended for ease and affordability.

So my 95 Bailey Beachcomber 470/4 looks like new!!!!

Jim.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
take a look in your local phone books, newspapers etc you need upholsterers or furniture manufacturers, or indeed foam & cushion suppliers.

We had a factory in our town until a few years ago and i went there when i redid a static.

Were lucky when it comes to that sort of diy, my wife is an upholstery machinist & she has an industrial machine at home.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I have a Bessecarr Cameo too! I have managed to get someone to re-cover the cushions and make new curtains. The curtains are in and look great.

The only thing is that I was wondering what the best way of scotchguarding the fabric is as I have a little girl who is VERY messy.
3M's Scotchguard is usually applied at the factory when the material is being woven, there are cans of aftermarket spray available (try C & H fabrics or a larger John Lewis) , but it's dependent on the mix of the fabric, i.e. wool/polyester and the dye colours used how successfully an application can be.

Regards Monkey

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can also fully recommend Regal not only for their excellent range of quality materials, superb workmanship and friendly manner but their prices are also surprisingly fair

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
hi trevor.it took me a while to find out,but go to the direct foam supply company(west sussex)phone 01293 871712.they supply dunlopillow foam.best of luck though,its an epic task

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
Re upholstery and curtains updating. We have just had our Sprite Muskateer re furbished and we used The Upholstery workshop at Mossley. The service was second to none by Jack & Marilyn, prices very good and they even came to our neck of the woods in Northumberland to collect/deliver the cushions. Cannot reccomend them enough, BRILLIANT. The old van looks like new. Ian

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Re upholstery and curtains updating. We have just had our Sprite Muskateer re furbished and we used The Upholstery workshop at Mossley. The service was second to none by Jack & Marilyn, prices very good and they even came to our neck of the woods in Northumberland to collect/deliver the cushions. Cannot reccomend them enough, BRILLIANT. The old van looks like new. Ian
Great to hear that some firms still provide excellent products and service. What enjoyment you will now get. Happy caravanning!!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts