Replacing Vision Plus 550 with Maxview Semitronic Satellite Dish

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has replaced the factory fitted Vision Plus 550 or similar roof aerial with a Maxview Semitronic satellite dish which I already have or other pole mounted dish
I seem to remember it being mentioned some while ago on a forum and as I am considering doing this when I get the new Swift Challenger 480 any advice would be appreciated
The hole in the roof for the Vision Plus is 50mm and the one for the Maxview Semitronic is 40mm so it will go in but some sleeving may be an advantage
I have tried Swift who reply that they do not fit satellite dishes and can give no advice on a suitable roof position
I have tried Maxview and they have no knowledge of Swift Caravan construction
I have asked caravan satellite suppliers for any fitting advice but they just want to sell new equipment
It seems do-able with ease but any tips etc would be appreciated greatly

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi John,
never tried a roof fixed dish as the roof section of the Bailey seemed too flexable to take even the smallish dish, (it would have had to be removable anyway to get it in the garage) so instead I went for the dish mounted on the jocky wheel with home fabricated brackets, big disadvantage was the van had to be positioned S/E or the dish stopped the front box opening fully!!! even with a cranked arm
smiley-embarassed.gif
I can see where you are comming from however and the modification should be quite easy, (pity no-one has thought of kit to do it!! allready), so it will have to be a one off home jobbie, looking at the equipment described the foot of the maxiview looks big enough to cover the hole once a spacer sleeve is inserted, try Screwfix they have a range of polypipe in all diameters for domestic and trade use should be one with a 40mm inner and 50mm outer size for a sleeve.or you could use a blanking plate and modify that. it all depends on whether you intend to make it removable so it can be converted back when you sell the van and of course what modifications would raise warranty issues. with Swift.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you not use the vision plus pole to support the dish or spend some money and buy a 50mm pole and cut it to desired length.
I'm interested how you are going to adjust dish elevation and park it for travelling from inside caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the replies
The Semiotronic has 12V elevation and manual aiming
Its mounted on an aluminium pole which passes through a roof fitting that is itself 40mm in diameter
Here is a link that will explain it better
http://www.maxview.co.uk/products/semitronic_magazine_article.pdf

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
John G,
Looked at the link you posted and now appreciate your problem,one thing though,aerials tend to pass through roof near the side of the van inside cupboards or wardrobes if you used the same hole as the Vision Plus aerial would the dish not protrude over the edge of the caravan - or maybe you are considering resiting the dish to another position on the roof.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertie boy said:
John G,
Looked at the link you posted and now appreciate your problem,one thing though,aerials tend to pass through roof near the side of the van inside cupboards or wardrobes if you used the same hole as the Vision Plus aerial would the dish not protrude over the edge of the caravan - or maybe you are considering resiting the dish to another position on the roof.
That has been the problem with the Swift Challenger 480
If the side cupboards are used the dish would as you say hang over the van side
I asked Swift for a suitable position with no help other than consult a satellite fitter
There is a space just above the table store in the centre of the caravan roof but there is a roof panel cover strip which suggests timber underneath not to be cut but Swift chose not to comment on its suitability
The Vision Plus is mounted inside the wardrobe in the left rear caravan corner facing the van rear but to the right of the cupboard and so almost in the centre of the van and avoiding roof lights etc
The Semitronic screws that go into the van roof are on a 65mm circle and I have tried it on a piece of spare van side panel and the screws get a good grip and it would probably be OK without a sleeve as also there is a collar that screws up inside the van and is tight against the van roof
I have got a sleeve that will do in the form of an old metal bath plug hole that has a flange (OD 80mm) the same size as the Semitronic mounting flange !!
The pole is also supported at the bottom end taking a lot of the strain
A big advantage would be replace the Vision Plus when selling the van and no need for cover plates
I was interested to know if anyone else has done this as I remember it being discussed a while ago

challenger_se_480_eccles_se_topaz.png

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
John G,
Maybe it;s time to put your hand up and consider other options,we use a tripod mounted dish,to my mind this gives much more flexibility for siting the dish to avoid obstacles (means you can position the van without always having to consider if you will receive a signal).
The Maxview system seems very expensive for what it is,you can buy a dish motor for less than £50 and a dish for less than £20.The kit we use cost less than £80 (not including the receiver)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
bertie boy said:
John G,
Maybe it;s time to put your hand up and consider other options,we use a tripod mounted dish,to my mind this gives much more flexibility for siting the dish to avoid obstacles (means you can position the van without always having to consider if you will receive a signal).
The Maxview system seems very expensive for what it is,you can buy a dish motor for less than £50 and a dish for less than £20.The kit we use cost less than £80 (not including the receiver)

But I already have the Maxview and have used it with great satisfaction for 10 years so the cost now is not a factor
Scrapping it would be wasteful !
" Maxview Semitronic satellite dish which I already have or other pole mounted dish"

Malestroit005.jpg

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
John
let us know how you get on, we never use the status ariel, and i have often thought of replacing it.
we currently use one of these
AQF431_default_A_large.jpg

which you place on roof and press button and it does the rest. bit of a pain putting it though the large hexi.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Tony
I would go for the Crank Up if starting from scratch as you don't have the siting on the van roof limitations of the pole
The Semitronic has a pole mount which then transfers the strain from the roof metal to the pole mounting against a cupboard side etc
I have found having the dish on the roof and the TV /digi box already set up to be a godsend when having to deal with my disabled wife(sadly now departed) and set up the caravan etc
I could if in doubt pull onto the pitch and using the inverter for the digi box and the TV on 12V make sure that I had line of site of the satellite before putting the van legs down
I do carry a small tripod and dish just in case a suitable pitch is not available but its been used more to loan to other people wanting TV in France and only needed for myself about 3 times in 10+ years
I was just measuring up the dish on the bench and it seems that it might stick out over the rear a couple of inches
Parking the dish across the van rather than in the recommended fore/aft position could be a compromise answer
I will just have to wait until the new van arrives to see properly

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well the new van was collected on Thursday last week from North Staffs Caravans who as usual did a superb handover and PDI
I was able to fit the Semitronic mast in the toilet compartment above the table store so its survived another change of caravan

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
TonyG,
The van pitched next to us used the same satellite dish system.The owner took the dish inside each night before going to bed presumably so no one could pinch it. Don't you think such an expensive piece of kit is vulnerable to theft even when mounted on the caravan roof.

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
bertie boy said:
TonyG,
The van pitched next to us used the same satellite dish system.The owner took the dish inside each night before going to bed presumably so no one could pinch it. Don't you think such an expensive piece of kit is vulnerable to theft even when mounted on the caravan roof.
hi Bertie

thankfully i have never had anything stolen while caravanning, with regard to the sat dish. i put it on the roof via the large hexi and there it stays until we pack up... I really could not be doing with getting it in every night.... i suppose if someone wants to nick it they will, not a lot i can do about it, where do you draw the line, take down the isabella magnum every night in case someone nicks it, or lock up the cadac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts