Retirement Age

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Every time I turn on the telly,it seems that the government wants to put back my retirement age. It started at 65,going to 66 and god knows where it will end up.Work till you drop mentality.Its really depressing.

Well I want to retire sooner rather than later,and Ive paid enough income tax and NI along the way,so the day the mortgage is paid off Im going to crack a bottle of wine,stuff the job(if I can afford it) and get some serious caravanning done.

Cant come soon enough.

Cheers Richard

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Richard, We know how you feel I got nine more years to work and if they keep on adding a year here and there we never retire with the govement the way they are going,

But that depend on my health if I can last till I'm 65 then sod them move away hope to be near the beach in the future walking our dogs, We hope and caravaning as well, Cheer Trevor

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice if we could retire at 40, then return to work at 65 and work until you drop ...... prefeably when you are 90, from being shot by a jealous husband.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys I like the topic but sadly I lost my job (redundant) in March at the age of 62and now the days fly by ,brings caravanning days along quicker I know..

When you retire like I have done now you will find all those jobs to do that you hadnt found time to before.

Ive now become a house husband and I ll tell you what ......

I wish I as back at work her indoors is nag nag nag nag .. this aint right and that aint right .

The moral here is keep going sod retirement

Sir Roger

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sir Roger

I had the same sort of thing. I persuaded SWMBO to get into voluntary work. She's busy 4 days a week and this keeps her off my back! I love the free time but where does the day go?? aaaaah.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dusty.

I guess Im pretty lucky swmbo does have a small business running from home ,nothing major but keeps a ticking over for a bit of spending money.

What hurt me was going to the job centre they look at you as tho your an alien , then you get the the booklet bit.....Job seakers or Pension Credit so I sort of asked in a roundabout way whats the chances of getting a job in Daventry at the age of 62 her reply was .... none, Pension credit it is then,and now the benifits have settled down and are all in place I find I am

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
i would happily employ older people. They are more reliable, more experienced and come from an age when we understood that if we wanted something we worked for it.. unlike a lot of the youngsters we employ today.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I quite agree but sadly in this area it doesnt happen and it makes it worse when you see those who can work and wont work and the kids are the same its all made to easy for them I do feel somewhat demoralised when you see it all around you.

At least I did hold a job down until that day in March, and I suppose at 62 I didnt do too bad

So Now I can spend more time in Buggram Hall entertaining taking advice from my good friend Lord Braykewynde.

Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What ever happened to the era of increased leisure time. Everyone seems to be working more hours, many of them what might be classed as unsociable and retirement age seems to be moving further into the distance. Have we got our priorities wrong?

David

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
David dont get me wrong I do enjoy the increased leisure time its just the way it came and I know some that have worked well past retirement age and the decided enough was enough and not had two years leisure time out of it.

So Iam looking forwqard to a nice long retirement

Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When my retirement age was up I thought of carrying on working, but the boss told me that orders were low and he could not afford me to carry on.

Best words I have ever heard,retirement and caravanning always going away, thats why I do not have the time to sit and converse with yourgoodselves like I used to when Working.

Just back from a fortnight in Kent getting ready for three weeks in yorkshire .

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
I agree Richard, it's not fair. When I started work back in the 70's my retirement age would have been 60 but now the age for women is being raised gradually so that by the time my turn comes it will be 65. So it's almost as bad for us women. The only (small) plus is that I get NI contributions for the time I spent at home and not earning when my son was small.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I've got a different slant - I retired early at 58 - because of a combination of ill-health, mum needed looking after, and a very stressful job. I get a reduced contributory pension, and got my state pension at 60, but OH was working and earned enough to compensate.

I enjoyed three years of 'retirement' - increased leisure time and all that, until September last year when a friend asked me to do 'a bit of work' for her just for a day a week! I took the job for a bit of extra pin money for myself. Then they picked up a big contract - and now I'm working full-time again, plus extra hours - as OH was made redundant in February!!!!

BUT - a friend of mine has been diagnosed with a serious illness at the age of 53, and whether we can or can't retire, and at what age, seems of little value when your life and your world is suddenly rocked by a life-threatening illness. Enjoy your retirement, and/or your working life, and if you're fit enough to do either or even both then think yourself lucky!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I agree Richard, it's not fair. When I started work back in the 70's my retirement age would have been 60 but now the age for women is being raised gradually so that by the time my turn comes it will be 65. So it's almost as bad for us women. The only (small) plus is that I get NI contributions for the time I spent at home and not earning when my son was small.
You girlies did want equality ... heh! heh! heh!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Mine wasn't a life threatening injury that caused me to finish early. It was the result of an accident at work but after an op I got 20 more years in before they finished me. The consultant at the time told me I would suffer with an arthritic spine in later life and he was right. I haven't got to the stage of resembling Quasimodo yet though. My wife was working part time and with my work pension we managed ok and this year I will be quids in because I get my state pension ... heh! heh!

Whatever happens, due to me finishing work in 2003, I will have had a retirement, different to many I know who either don't make it or peg out within a couple of years of retiring.

I just keep taking the tablets hoping I don't wake up dead the following morning :O(

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Commiserations Farty old bean. I didn't realise that you were so rock bottom that you've had to dismiss your staff. Things should look up now though having a change of direction with the country due to our party being in control. I hear the foxes aren't feeling so bushy tailed any more.

Tally ho and regards to Lady Farty, tell her things are on the up from now on :O)

May 21, 2008
Visit site
After 33 years of slogging my guts out, being self employed for all but 9 of those years, I was forced to stop work 18 months ago with crippling arthritis injuries to both shoulders and elbows. I also have a compressed disc inmy spine.

OK I thought the NHS & DWP will help me. Did they hell. I'm waiting for the third attempt to fix a shoulder that I told them to open up the same as the other one as that worked. But they wanted to do keyhole surgery instead. Guess what they'll do it open surgery now!!

I claimed ESA and had to spen 61 weeks fighting for full entitlement through a tribunal as they said that despite loosing 70% use of my left arm and having no hand to hand co-ordination, plus a disc that catches my spine leaving me with permanent loss of feeling in all toes except my big toe on my right foot. I was supposedly capable of working as a construction worker!!

I guess when I retire all i'll get is just another kicking from the DWP and another round of fill this fill that form and only get my just dues if I find out what I'm eligable for, because the don't tell you what you are entitled to, they just pay what you ask for and if you miss an entitlement it's tuff luck for you!!

Rant over!! Got to see the dotor about my blood pressure now.

ATB Steve L. (who isn't a single parent,druggie or ex-prissoner. They all get treated better than us who work for a living)

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Steve I have just raed your rant and understand what you are saying

I guess I was luck as I went first CBA and they put me right as to what my entitlement was .

Bearing in mind ,I still have a large mortgage an 11 year old daughter.

All this into account the goivernment say I must have an income of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The pension fund of the major electronics company I worked for in 1966 had more money than they knew what to do with. Why, becase the average length of drawing a pension (based on retirement at 65) was less than 2 years !

Fast forward to now and we are getting life expectations into the 80's but still funded by pension contributions which (generally) stop at 65.

Later in life I 'engineered' early retirement and a golden fairwell (well, shiny brass would be nearer the truth) but first did some research as to whether this was a good idea. The rough guidance then (1992) was that for every year you retire under the age of 65, your expectation of life increases 1.5 years - so that's the way to go if you can make the money spin out.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
The pension fund of the major electronics company I worked for in 1966 had more money than they knew what to do with. Why, becase the average length of drawing a pension (based on retirement at 65) was less than 2 years !

Fast forward to now and we are getting life expectations into the 80's but still funded by pension contributions which (generally) stop at 65.

Later in life I 'engineered' early retirement and a golden fairwell (well, shiny brass would be nearer the truth) but first did some research as to whether this was a good idea. The rough guidance then (1992) was that for every year you retire under the age of 65, your expectation of life increases 1.5 years - so that's the way to go if you can make the money spin out.
I retired at 50 so I should see at least 110

Dave

G

I have every sympathy for anyone who is finding that finances are preventing them from enjoying what they feel they should, and may even enjoy their work so much that they want to continue.

However, for every person who decides to stay on from 65 to say 70 then there will be far less opportunities for the young ones to either get started, or progress up the ladder. Also those that seem to desire most to hang on in there, are not usually doing what you would call a stressfull day's work, however they no doubt wish their full package of benefits.

I feel it would be far better for a flexible system where if someone has great value to a Company then they can be asked to stay on, on a ad hoc basis, until a suitable replacement is found, or their experince has been passed on, and then asked to go. We currently have such a system wehere by valued employees are offered consultancy work until either party wishes to termoinate. To make legislation forcing Companies to keep people who may, or may not be valuable, I not to my mind very effective.

One wonders if a lot of this is emanating from politicians who always feel they are so valuable that the should never be removed from thier exalted psitions.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
the trouble is the people who are trying raise the retirement age ,are themselves retiring at 55 at the tax payers expense , so whats happened to equal rights , if they are going to raise the retirement age it should apply to every single person who is working ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts