Return to the UK

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We live in France but my father in law (93 years old) lives in Weymouth, Dorset. He is healthy and practicing social isolation. However, in the event that he should unfortunately contact Covid 19 we would want to return to the UK. We would bring our caravan with us so that we could also practice social isolation. We would have no problems getting across France and we would have to return via the Tunnel as Brittany Ferries are not operating.

My question is, would I have a problem travelling in the UK or would I be stopped by the police as I would be towing a caravan and they might suspect that I was going on holiday? Could I contact each police force area that we would be passing through and ask them to put a “note” on the ANPR system?

I sincerely hope that we will not have to come back to the UK but want to be prepared if the worst happens.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We live in France but my father in law (93 years old) lives in Weymouth, Dorset. He is healthy and practicing social isolation. However, in the event that he should unfortunately contact Covid 19 we would want to return to the UK. We would bring our caravan with us so that we could also practice social isolation. We would have no problems getting across France and we would have to return via the Tunnel as Brittany Ferries are not operating.

My question is, would I have a problem travelling in the UK or would I be stopped by the police as I would be towing a caravan and they might suspect that I was going on holiday? Could I contact each police force area that we would be passing through and ask them to put a “note” on the ANPR system?

I sincerely hope that we will not have to come back to the UK but want to be prepared if the worst happens.

You will more than likely be stopped by the police en route. Be aware that should your father have to be taken into hospital or care home you will not be allowed to visit or any contact. At the present time with the load on the police I would not recommend trying to contact each force or even considering asking for ANPR to be activated. ANPR cannot tell if you are towing anything. Also do bear in mind that should you have a breakdown or accident access to services might prove difficult in certain areas. Its a changing situation lets just hope that
F-i-L stays healthy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Not easy Paul in the current climate. Where will you park your caravan if you do return? Parksy placed a post from Gloucestershire Police. Caravans travelling along the M5 towards the South West will be turned round and sent back home . If you were travelling solo, no caravan, on a mission of mercy, I believe the authorities will probably be sympathetic. However in view of the idiots taking BBQs on the beach and picnics in Richmond Park we may we’ll see a more draconian lockdown. Ie no travelling for anyone. God help us all😥

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Not easy Paul in the current climate. Where will you park your caravan if you do return? Parksy placed a post from Gloucestershire Police. Caravans travelling along the M5 towards the South West will be turned round and sent back home . If you were travelling solo, no caravan, on a mission of mercy, I believe the authorities will probably be sympathetic. However in view of the idiots taking BBQs on the beach and picnics in Richmond Park we may we’ll see a more draconian lockdown. Ie no travelling for anyone. God help us all😥
Parking is no problem as father in law has a large front garden and we can easily get in there. Keeping our fingers crossed that we don't have to return.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is very hard, but I think the answer is you are unlikely to be allowed to travel to his home area. Even worse if you get there and your father is in hospital you will not be allowed to see him.
If you do want to come I would speak to the tunnel people before booking to see what restrictions there are then, as the policy can change at any time and you may not be allowed by then.
At the moment almost any car towing a caravan and seen by a police car will be stopped and, if you are, there is no guarantee you will be allowed to travel on. although you would hope so.
Most sites are closed, so you would need find somewhere open to be guaranteed a pitch.
Things change daily so it is impossible for us to be sure what you will be allowed to do any distance ahead.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sadly, the reality is that you should not go and see him now, when he is well in case you pass the virus on, and you most definitely won’t be allowed to see him, if he contracts Covid 19. Stay where you are and stick to Skype. Grim I know, but it is where we are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts