REVERSE POLARITY

G

This topic has been raised within the pages of this Forum and a search would allow you to see the results. However, you need firstly a polarity checker ( available from most caravan accesory shops). You also need a short cable with a French Plug at one end ( again available in caravan shops, or a hypermarket in France). The other end should have a standard blue socket to attach to your standard caravan cable. The short extension cable should be wired in reverse order, that is the blue to live and the brown to return. Then if your polarity tester shows a reverse situation, you then insert the reversed cable and all should be well. If your situation is normal as per the polarity tester, then reverse the wires in the French plug to the correct (brown to live, blue to return) and again all will be well. Some people try to change the blue connecters on their main 25 meter cables, not a good idea as you will probably forget where you are and arrive back in the UK 'wrongly' connected.

It is more complicated to describe than it actually is.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Its best to make up a lead with reverse connections with UK male and female connectors and to also have a lead with uk one end and french connector the other end which you use only if the site has french electrics.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
As I understand it.

In much of mainland Europe polarity is less of an issue because both positive and negative are switched when switched off.

In the U.K. only positive is switched off. with a U.K. system reverced polarity could meen the power is still on at the unit(kettle,radio ect) all be it not flowing. I there were a fault on that item It could be live.

Many of the Europian sites have or are going over the the same system that we use and the problem has become faily rare ( It think)

I carry two Euro two pin tails one of which is wired in reverce AND MARKED.

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even on Continental sites with blue CEE sockets I wouldn't bank on them always being connected the right way round. Because it's not an issue (the round Continental type plugs are reversible anyway) one cannot be 100% sure that whoever did the wiring gave it a thought.

May 2, 2006
Visit site
I endorse Lutz's comment. It is for this reason that I recommend that rather than have two "french" adaptors, one wired normally and one reversed, instead use the technique the Plotter has recommended.

We have been on a couple of sites (in Switzerland and Italy) where the site plugs required were very unusual - they lent them out from reception (with a deposit) and then if the polarity issue raises its head you can still insert your UK to UK adapter in the line.

Cheers,

Mike A

Mar 16, 2006
Visit site
Its best to make up a lead with reverse connections with UK male and female connectors and to also have a lead with uk one end and french connector the other end which you use only if the site has french electrics.
Thats exactly what we did although we only came across 1 campsite that was reverse polarity and that was in Italy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts