reversing caravan

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
I have a coachman amera 520/4 yaer 2000 and vectra 1.9 cdti but when reversing it satrts burning out my clutch is there a way to stop it doing this ie turn the caravan brake off

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Sounds as though the brakes on the caravan are in need of service. The condition that you describe should not occur if the brakes are working properly. They should automatically release when reversing.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Phillip, I am going to guess that when reversing, you slip the clutch a lot?

This is a very common cause of smelly clutches, and can prove very expensive to have fixed.

Whilst not a cheap initial option, a motor mover would solve all the reversing problems, and may well end up cheaper than repair bills for the car.

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Phillip

We occasionally get a touch of burning clutch when we reverse our van. We have a VW Golf 1.9TDi and I understand that clutch burn can be a problem with relatively low powered diesels - it is only too easy to slip the clutch when doing a difficult reverse - particularly uphill. Since I have been aware of this I make sure not to let the clutch slip by revving the engine correctly.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi all

While we're on slipping clutches and motor movers, I wonder what kind of incline a mover will tolerate? I don't have trouble reversing per say but when you have to reverse up a grassy incline you need all the grunt you can muster. We've a Bailey Burgundy and up bank in reverse things can get a bit iffy.

Regards Tomo

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Philip,

I too have a Coachman Amara 2002 and tow with a 1.9 cdti Renault Megane Sport Tourer.I agree with Lutz.Have your brakes looked at.I get a slight smell from the clutch but nothing to worry about.

By the way Colin (Yorkshire) can't reverse that's why he told you not to reverse.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Somehow something tells me Damian is selling motor movers.

Phillip, if you know how to reverse properly (and I am not doubting that you can), there is no need for a motor mover. I would agree with Lutz and Pat - get your caravan brakes checked and serviced.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
Somehow something tells me Damian is selling motor movers.

Phillip, if you know how to reverse properly (and I am not doubting that you can), there is no need for a motor mover. I would agree with Lutz and Pat - get your caravan brakes checked and serviced.
I agree, there is no need for a motor mover. But it makes life so much easier. Often people come over to us when they have seen us using our mover (both on sites and in storage) to ask questions about it because they realise it makes things much easier in certain circumstances.

Colin.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In answer to Herve, NO, I do not sell motor movers.

As for a mover, I do have one fitted to my van and would not be without it now.

I do not subscribe to the macho thing about how good , or not, people are at reversing, I simply have more respect for my car.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
That's an interesting stance Damian.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with reversing with a caravan/trailer hitched. If one had that much respect for the car, one would not tow in the first place.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
In answer to Herve, NO, I do not sell motor movers.

As for a mover, I do have one fitted to my van and would not be without it now.

I do not subscribe to the macho thing about how good , or not, people are at reversing, I simply have more respect for my car.
we have galaxy and whenever we reverse we have a smelly clutch so always use motormover now and dont care if people laugh(or a secretly jealous)

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Never towed with an automatic so can't agree or disagree.I personally have never had a prob with reversing( ex class 1 driver) but I have seen the advantages of caravan movers especially abroad where approach to pitches are a bit tight.

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
My Sedona auto and my previous Previa auto posed no probs reversing, but of course auto's are designed to creep slowly forwards and back so you can control slow speed easily.

I don't have a mover but to get the best views last summer I had to push 1800 kg of 2 axle into the plot hitch first. We could then watch the ducks from the front of van - very nice.

Trouble is we had to push it pack out after heavy rain !!

Guess what, I'm saving my pennies for a mover.

P.S, I can reverse (think so anyway) and I don't sell movers - Lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Auto over manual every time for hastle free reversing.

I use a manual at the moment, and would never contemplate reversing the outfit on anything other than a level surface, like Damian I to have respect for my car, don't forget that the standard clutch in your car was not designed for shunting/manoeuvring in some cases almost double it's design weight. You could always upgrade the clutch to competition spec, but that is quite an expensive option, I find that the use of a motor mover wins hands down every time, amazing at some of the tight spots you can pitch in, and be in a position to observe every part of your van as you are manoeuvring into position, without depending on the good lady to stand at the back of the outfit performing alien like movements with her arms, and of course no falling out. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fail to see the point about the clutch not made for shunting double its weight backwards, when thats exactly what its doing when going forward.I dont know where this problem arises about shunting with regards to reversing. I always try to reverse from the drivers side which makes it so much easier, but if forced to do from blind side then normally one corrective move sorts it out with no undue stress on the clutch.No I am not blowing my trumpet,but I have seen people make life difficult for themselves by not taking the easier approach.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quite agree with what you are saying Geordie, but in a forward motion the clutch reaches biting point then is fully engaged in normal road driving, but it is a different matter whether it be forward or in reverse and up a slight incline, when you need to manoeuvre your van in to an awkward position, I have yet to come across anyone who can accomplish this without the need to slip there clutch, and a standard clutch does not lend itself very kindly to this misuse, that is why in heavy haulage where shunting takes place you will always find that they are automatic. Personally in over 40years of driving I have yet to burn a clutch out, but as you are no doubt aware that is down to technique, and I have seen the best of drivers (myself included) make a hash of reversing there outfit, while suffering an off day, and it all shortens the life expectancy of your clutch, even more so if your ability to reverse is not up to the mark.

Enter the motor mover!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Allan & Gill, I was referring to reversing onto a pitch because the topic was started about burning clutch on reversing.I dont think there should be any problems reversing onto pitches within sites nowadays,after all, vans are 99% of time reversed onto pitches and space allowed for that unless the site is of the sardines in a tin type of place. I dont know about anyone else, but I look at the pitch before attempting anything. I cant comment about where people keep their vans (homes with inclines, tight spaces etc etc), thats for them to suss-out before buying a van, I dont have that problem (space)so mine's is in storage although sometimes I wish it was kept at the house.

Cheers Geordie.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts