Reversing onto Pitch

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Pick up my caravan this weekend, Im finding this Forum a great source of advice, the thought of towing the van does not worry me (Not at the mo, probably be a different story on Sunday!!), what does worry me is reversing onto pitch, the only sites weve been on in our tent, seem to have very narrow roads.

Do you have tips or advice??

Thanks

Anthony

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Don't worry. We are novices at reversing, but whenever it has been too tricky we have unhitched and pushed or powermoved it. People are often keen to help shove a van and vans are suprisingly easy to push and manouver except on chippings. The thing to do is to keep practising reversing even if you have to eventually give up and push. Don't worry what others are thinking if you make a hash of it. I suspect there are far more duffers than experts!

mel

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Anthony

all the best on picking your van up at the weekend, best thing I bought was a motormover makes life much easyer you can back in or turn it round if the view is better, easy to get up on ramps if ground level is bad, & to move right up to & over the towball without bashing your bumper reversing, well worth the money.

Mick K.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Have a look at this bit of fun, it might help you understand what moves which way when turning/reversing. Click on play then use the keyboard arrows to move.

Best of luck with the van

Mike

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Good luck with the caravan this weekend and don't worry because lots of people simply unhitch and push their caravan into position if they don't have a motor mover.

If you decide to have a go at reversing onto a pitch it's a good idea to drive up so that the pitch is on your right hand side. That way you can look back along the side of the caravan into the pitch when you're reversing. Get your o/h to keep watch behind as you go back and take your time. Practice makes perfect, although I still manage to make a mess of it now and again.

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Good luck with the caravan this weekend and don't worry because lots of people simply unhitch and push their caravan into position if they don't have a motor mover.

If you decide to have a go at reversing onto a pitch it's a good idea to drive up so that the pitch is on your right hand side. That way you can look back along the side of the caravan into the pitch when you're reversing. Get your o/h to keep watch behind as you go back and take your time. Practice makes perfect, although I still manage to make a mess of it now and again.
Thank you Parksy

Im going to have a go, should be fun for people watching listening to me and the o/h rowing!!!

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Anthony, Reversing is all down to practice, best advice would be to find yourself a quiet spot on a car park or industrial est and practice reversing your outfit you will soon pick it up, and then when on site just take your time, if things go wrong pull forward and start all over again and remember we all get it wrong sometimes even though some would not like to admit it.

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello Jasper

I will practice the reversing, im not too worried about messing it up and people watching, pretty think skinned like that.

Im interested in how close together the pitches/roads seem to be in France.

Thank you for the advice.

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Anthony

Good luck with reversing - my husband still has a lot of difficulty in knowing when to start straightening up and usually gets a bit flustered, so we tend to get so far and then push it ourselves (while we still relatively young and fit, don't want the expense of a motor-mover). Anyway, really replying to your last point re roads/pitches on sites in France, we really didn't notice much of a difference as sites vary, but one thing we did find is that a number of sites pitched vans with the side parallel to the road, but of course European vans have their door on the other side, so, unless we wanted to turn the van full circle - not always possible if 'cul de sac', we were facing the opposite way to our neighbours! Good luck.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Anthony,

Alot of people get nervous about reversing but really it becomes easy after a while just take your time & manouvre slowly.

The best tip i picked up about 13 years ago was to forget all this turning the wheel in opposite direction If you hold the steering wheel at the bottom & turn the wheel slowly in the direction you want the van to go. IE If you want the van to go left turn the wheel to the left & you will see the van in your left mirror & turn right if you want the van to go right. It really is that easy but only make slow movements of the wheel.

Give this a go & see how easy it becomes.

Good luck with the new van & happy caravanning

Jun 30, 2006
Visit site
The best advice is to practice! before you start stop and think which way you want the caravan to go and turn the wheel the opposite way, keep checking your mirrors to keep it straight turn the wheel in the direction that the mirror has the most caravan in it, and if you get it wrong stop pull forward and start again.

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI! Anthony get car & c/van with pitch on your right if possible

put hand on bottom of s/wheel 6pm if you want rear of van to go right turn wheel right then go so far then turn back to left,if you want to go left turn hand to left get someone at rear of van to watch blind side and also stay in your line of vision so you can also see them. as soon as you cannot see them stop until you can see them again or you may run them over .take your time theslower the better. have fun. good luck

cheers

Duggie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts