Ridiculous review of Isuzu

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Very disappointed with the review of the Isuzu D Max in the PC towcar review, already seen in the club magazine. I am a very happy owner of one and it is far and away the best (of the dozen or so) towcars I have owned. Reading it I can't believe it is the same vehicle I drive.

" the Isuzu D-Max feels most like an old-school pick-up." No. it feels more like a modern Jeep type 4 x 4.

"The ride is bouncy in solo driving" The ride is extremely good for a pick up, though with rear leaf springs and a one tonne load capacity it's never going to be like air suspension on a Range Rover. At least as good as any other pick up including the Amorok which they do not criticise.

" the steering is slow to respond" Totally wrong.

"The engine has lots of mid-range pull, but it’s very noisy." It has torque of 400 nm which comes in at 1400 to 2000 revs: superb for towing and good for economy. The engine note is gruff at low revs, fine at 50 mph plus. Not unpleasant: do they not realise this a working vehicle, not a hatchback?

" in the lane-change test the D-Max felt out of its depth. The pick-up struggled to keep the caravan under control, with big steering inputs needed from the driver." This is the most bizarre comment in this test. From my experience this is simply not true, the truck feels totally planted and in control of the caravan. I'd also suggest they look at the YouTube video of slalom tests towing a 3 ton rally car trailer: most impressive and in direct opposition to what they are saying here.

" the caravan repeatedly shunted the back of the D-Max, which felt very unpleasant from inside the cabin." Well what the FLIP does that mean? I can only think it was something wrong with the caravan brakes. How the hell can it have anything to do with the towing vehicle? You do an emergency stop, either the caravan brakes work properly or they don't. I've had to brake suddenly and my Bailey never "shunted" the truck.

"In the hill-start test the Isuzu’s handbrake needed a firm pull before it would hold. " Yes indeed, you do have to operate the handbrake to operate the handbrake. Same as any other vehicle, no easier, no harder.

"Tackling the hill was predictably much easier in 4WD low-ratio than in 2WD high-ratio." Why? Was it muddy? What a STUPID comment.

Frankly I think where Isuzu have gone wrong is they are not Ford, VW Group or Land Rover. These are the only cars that do any good in these so-called tests. That they are the biggest advertisers is, of course, a total coincidence.

I believe Toyota stopped submitting vehicles after the totally dismissive reviews of the HiLux and Landcruiser which this lot thought were useless. Unlike the many owners across the world.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I wouldnt let it bother you too much.I bought the magazine this month out of boredom wish i,d saved my money.Looking forward to a nice review on the new CRV,as advetised on the front cover.One paragraph later i shut the magazine as i,d come to the end of the review.I,ll have to test drive one now instead.The term "gruff" seems to get used a lot to describe a diesel engine by PCM.I sometimes wonder do they forget their testing a compression ignition engine and thing its a spark ignition instead.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I share your concerns re the Izuzu but I gave up my subscription about a year ago as I felt the caravan and vehicle reviews lacked criticalty and whilst the articles on what to do in various areas are useful to some I have never had a problem in searching out places to visit/walks/pubs etc and given the Internet coverage these days its easier than ever. That's part of the pleasure of visiting new areas.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have never driven an Isuzu and not been in one for years but the criticism does look harsh. My complaint is that the contest was won by a car that was to light for all but the lightest caravans and is simply of no use to the majority of caravaners. In my opinion a car under 1500 kg is simply not heavy enough to be a winner as it simpy is of no interest to most of us. The winner should be a good all rounder rather than a niche entrant.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
seth said:
I wouldnt let it bother you too much.I bought the magazine this month out of boredom wish i,d saved my money.Looking forward to a nice review on the new CRV,as advetised on the front cover.One paragraph later i shut the magazine as i,d come to the end of the review.I,ll have to test drive one now instead.The term "gruff" seems to get used a lot to describe a diesel engine by PCM.I sometimes wonder do they forget their testing a compression ignition engine and thing its a spark ignition instead.
Having driven the new CRV i didnt notice a gruff engine, the car was very quite and had good performance, but on a modern diesel 258 pound feet is average, perfectly adequate solo, but not towing, IMO.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Henry if youre happy with the car thats all that matters.
But i have to say all the tests on the xtrail i read were fair comment, i still enjoyed the car, as i do the Mazda CX-5 which lost out to the Tig when it was tested.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad to read you're happy with it as we've just ordered a Utah vision automatic. We were struggling for bootspace with the rexton trying to fit wheelchair, scooter and dowg crate in. When we decided to look at pick ups we found the Isuzu to be the best of the crop in our opinion. The Datsun felt crampt in the back, the girls would not be impressed. The Ssangyong was no good for the dowgs as windows in the hard top didn't open and were just fake and it seemed to lightweight for our fairly heavy van. The L200 was dismissed for it's swoopy bits giving me the wilies, Ford have stopped supply of Automatics for the forseeable future and the Hilux only has two three point seat belts and one lap strap. The annorack was dismissed due to being a VW and having had appauling suspension problems from them once in the past. The D-Max started and finished at the top of our list. It seems to have just about the highest like for like score on the Auto Express website and needs to be looked at as a pick up not a disco alternative. It is what it is and we hope that it'll provide many years of trouble free service!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts