road legallaties

Nov 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. Can anyone tell me roughly what is legal and what is not as regards to lay-bys and parking a van on the road through the day or night. Can the van be parked in a town on a street over night even if it has its own ins policy. Thanks in anticipation

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
I'm also interested as i would like to bring the van home from storage to prepare it the day before an adventure leaving it on the road overnight outside the house.

sorry to jump in barkas

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We used to leave our van overnight outside our house, which was on quite a busy road for a night or two when loading up. We never had any problem, the police didn't seem to bother - although they did pass by several times daily - and the only time anyone made any comment was when we had to leave it outside for several days during the 'petrol strike'. As it happens this did us a favour anyway because we put a for sale notice in, and sold it to a passer-by!

I'm not saying this would be the same wherever you live, best to check, perhaps with your local bobbies!

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Bit of a 'grey' area although I expect John L will have the definitive answer. Technically a lay by forms part of the highway and needs to be treated as such. This means for instance that lights need to be displayed at night but I've never heard of one of the hundreds of LGV drivers who park their trucks in them ever being prosecuted for lighting offences.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I usually pick up my van from storage the night before I go away. I leave it on the road outside, BUT I leave the car attached. (If somebody tried to disconnect cable from the car then the alarm would go off). I've never considered the legalities before. How can it not be legal? Its just the same as an artic' parked up isn't it?

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Bit of a 'grey' area although I expect John L will have the definitive answer. Technically a lay by forms part of the highway and needs to be treated as such. This means for instance that lights need to be displayed at night but I've never heard of one of the hundreds of LGV drivers who park their trucks in them ever being prosecuted for lighting offenses.

HGV's do get prosecuted for lighting offenses it is a

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Now I have heard (albeit 2nd hand) of a truck driver being prosecuted. I stand corrected. However, it must be very rare in my area if the amount of unlit trucks is anything to go by.

Oct 2, 2008
Visit site
Now I have heard (albeit 2nd hand) of a truck driver being prosecuted. I stand corrected. However, it must be very rare in my area if the amount of unlit trucks is anything to go by.

I can email you a copy of the various fixed penalties I have received for this.

It is enforced in some places stronger, other forces just use common sense.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site

I can email you a copy of the various fixed penalties I have received for this.

It is enforced in some places stronger, other forces just use common sense.
Ben, I wasn't doubting your post, mearly stating that until you told me I had never heard of it happening. Guess I must live in one of the less well policed areas, it certainly doesn't seem the police round here have any common sense!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts