Roadcruz tyres.

May 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi. Looking for advice on my new Roadcruz tyres fitted last week to my 2016 Bailey Unicorn 3 vigo. 2 days after they were fitted I was travelling to my caravan workshop for some work to be done.2 miles from I suffered an instantaneous blowout on the offside tyre. The spare was fitted by Greenflag, and the failed tyre examined. There was no obvious defect with it. The company that supplied were contacted and have taken it away for examination, telling me they will replace it and refit to the caravan. Is this likely to be a one off instance or is there a question mark about the manufacturers of this make. All the markings on the tyre appear to be correct, and it was inflated to the 60 psi recommended pressure. The van was unloaded at the time.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Even for a budget brand that’s an unexpected occurrence, which must be worrying. If you are sure that the size and load index are correct then other reasons could be:

Valve blowout
Pothole
Tyre pressure gauge in correct reading
Tyre pressure exceeds maximum stated on sidewall.
Road debris penetrated but not retained.

Your description that Greenflag could find no obvious defect does though might imply a tyre failure of some description, or a fitting defect. I was told once that if you get a blowout it loads up the pother tyre instantaneously so best to change both.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Roadcruza tyres seem to be stocked by many of the big names in online tyre supply - best to wait until the manufacturerhas had chance to examine it.

May 28, 2023
Visit site
Even for a budget brand that’s an unexpected occurrence, which must be worrying. If you are sure that the size and load index are correct then other reasons could be:

Valve blowout
Pothole
Tyre pressure gauge in correct reading
Tyre pressure exceeds maximum stated on sidewall.
Road debris penetrated but not retained.

Your description that Greenflag could find no obvious defect does though might imply a tyre failure of some description, or a fitting defect. I was told once that if you get a blowout it loads up the pother tyre instantaneously so best to chan.ge both.
Yes, very concerning, especially as we live just 2 miles from the M5, and most of our trips would involve travel on this route, traveling at around the legal limit. Pressures were checked after fitting, with the inflation gauge and my handheld unit, valves all ok, (tyrepal enabled, although the monitor was not fitted for this 3 mile journey at 50mph or less) A carefully check on the route taken showed no likely potholes, as the blowout was on the offside, there were some on the nearside surface.
As you say, very worrying. I await the tyre companies contact soon, possibly when they come fit the replacement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It must have been quite a shock and of course upsetting. I hope no one has been hurt and no major damage has been done.

Apart from sympathising with you theres not alot we can do at this stage, untill we know in more detail if there is anything more fundamental to be concerned about, and whether we should be boycotting this brand for any good reason.

Please close the circle by telling us the results of the inspection, then we might know if there is anything we should be looking out for.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes, very concerning, especially as we live just 2 miles from the M5, and most of our trips would involve travel on this route, traveling at around the legal limit. Pressures were checked after fitting, with the inflation gauge and my handheld unit, valves all ok, (tyrepal enabled, although the monitor was not fitted for this 3 mile journey at 50mph or less) A carefully check on the route taken showed no likely potholes, as the blowout was on the offside, there were some on the nearside surface.
As you say, very worrying. I await the tyre companies contact soon, possibly when they come fit the replacement.
One other aspect re pressures is that today I checked car tyres which were last set at 33 psi in cooler weather. Despite being in shade and no direct sunlight at mid day they had risen from the last setting of 33 psi to 36/37 psi. So I’ve let air out. If the caravan was say set to 60 psi in cooler weather and had risen due to warm weather could it have exceeded the tyres stated max prior to your journey,, which would have warmed it more, albeit not a long journey. A long shot I’m afraid.

Be interested in the outcome of the company’s inspection.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Having just towed from North Wales to New Forest and back I have decided that our Van’s tyres will be swapped after our next trip out, the current ones are Hancock Vantra and coming in under £300 the pair it’s worth the piece of mind.
The roads are awful, more so around my local area and the tyres take a hammering.
The current tyres have been on for 2 years and were newly manufactured when bought (always worth checking the manufacture date)
Good luck with sorting your issue.

Kevin

May 28, 2023
Visit site
One other aspect re pressures is that today I checked car tyres which were last set at 33 psi in cooler weather. Despite being in shade and no direct sunlight at mid day they had risen from the last setting of 33 psi to 36/37 psi. So I’ve let air out. If the caravan was say set to 60 psi in cooler weather and had risen due to warm weather could it have exceeded the tyres stated max prior to your journey,, which would have warmed it more, albeit not a long journey. A long shot I’m afraid.

Be interested in the outcome of the company’s inspection.
Following comments, I today checked the remaining tyre, change atthe same time as the failed item, and checked at 60psi on the failed date, before departure. After sitting in direct sun, for most of the day it registers 61.5 psi. Still, a worthwhile
check to do. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Having just towed from North Wales to New Forest and back I have decided that our Van’s tyres will be swapped after our next trip out, the current ones are Hancock Vantra and coming in under £300 the pair it’s worth the piece of mind.
The roads are awful, more so around my local area and the tyres take a hammering.
The current tyres have been on for 2 years and were newly manufactured when bought (always worth checking the manufacture date)
Good luck with sorting your issue.

Kevin
That seems excessively over cautions at only two years old, unless there is some other reason to change them.

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
That seems excessively over cautions at only two years old, unless there is some other reason to change them.
Not really Prof, when you consider the weight (and value) on two tyres, plus some of the collateral damage sometimes seen with a blow out, £300 seems cheap to me.
Some of the pot holes I've seen recently are more like sink holes!

Kev

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not really Prof, when you consider the weight (and value) on two tyres, plus some of the collateral damage sometimes seen with a blow out, £300 seems cheap to me.

Kev
I thought Hankooks were supposed to be so marvellous? Maybe next time look at a mid range price tyre? Our tyres are over 5 years old and will be due to be changed within the next 2 years and we will probably go for a mid range tyre from a well known brand.

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
I thought Hankooks were supposed to be so marvellous? Maybe next time look at a mid range price tyre? Our tyres are over 5 years old and will be due to be changed within the next 2 years and we will probably go for a mid range tyre from a well known brand.
Buckman, the Hankooks are a good tyre - where did I say different?

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Buckman, the Hankooks are a good tyre - where did I say different?
I never said that you differed, but if the Hankooks are so good I am wondering why change them at 2 years old if there is nothing wrong with them? Have they been checked by a tyre fitter for any issues?

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Kev
I'm concerned that you might be wasting quite a lot of money by going for such frequent tyre changes. I would never suggest anyone weakens good safety habits, but I question if your actually getting any real advantage from your method.

Let's just review a few points.

Unless you are doing very high towing miles and wearing out the tyre or you are driving through very poor road conditions that actually damage the tyre, the vast majority of caravan tyres will be serviceable for upto and beyond seven years. In reality very few caravanner's do enough milage to wear down the tyres to require replacement because if insufficient tread depth even over seven years of caravanning.

There are vehicles on the road that have tyres that carry far bigger loads, so caravans are not exceptional regards individual tyre loads. The tyres have load ratings to suit the weight they carry.

Your caravans weight is not going to increase dramatically, so the tyres you have fitted should be rated for your caravan, and that rating does not derate with time. Tyres are very important, so much so there are checks done to ensure the way they are made conforms to minimum standards.

Bearing in mind the comments above, and how caravan tyres rarely wear out to the point they need replacing except by age, If you cannot avoid a pothole that will damage a two year old caravan tyre, then it will be equally dangerous to a new tyre.

Are you as fastidious with your car's tyres?

I hate to see people wasting money when there is no need to. But also on the case of tyres there is a concern about what happens to those you discard from an environmental perspective.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi. Looking for advice on my new Roadcruz tyres fitted last week to my 2016 Bailey Unicorn 3 vigo. 2 days after they were fitted I was travelling to my caravan workshop for some work to be done.2 miles from I suffered an instantaneous blowout on the offside tyre. The spare was fitted by Greenflag, and the failed tyre examined. There was no obvious defect with it. The company that supplied were contacted and have taken it away for examination, telling me they will replace it and refit to the caravan. Is this likely to be a one off instance or is there a question mark about the manufacturers of this make. All the markings on the tyre appear to be correct, and it was inflated to the 60 psi recommended pressure. The van was unloaded at the time.
Was the tyre a suitable van tyre?

Car tyres of the same size are far more available but have a lesser load rating and less numbers of ply in the wall structure. It is not unkown for car tyres to be fitted by those who are not aware.

Unlikely, but worth a look at. A simple check which has most probably be done already.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Was the tyre a suitable van tyre?

Car tyres of the same size are far more available but have a lesser load rating and less numbers of ply in the wall structure. It is not unkown for car tyres to be fitted by those who are not aware.

Unlikely, but worth a look at. A simple check which has most probably be done already.

John
As per post #1, I would not think that heat would have been a contributing issue causing a blow out after only 2 miles? It will be interesting to know what caused the issue. As said in another thread we will be looking a mid range tyres when ours are due to replacing. Finding the correct load index is always a challenge.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have never heard of the tyre make involved and I would probably have avoided them preferring something I knew. The only time we changed the caravan tyres I went for the same make as were previously fitted. I have never heard of a tyre blowing two miles after it was fitted but if there was no obvious damage you do wonder if it was faulty but that is jumping the gun and we should wait to see what the result of the test was.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hankooks Vantra LT are a well respected light van C spec tyre. How after two years with a low mileage compared to WVM deliver duty can you tell they need changing? But if Kevin M wants to change for more surety why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Buckman and Kevin M
Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
Can also be they damaged tire when mounting it.
To high pressure is almost not possible.
And to low gives problems after monts or years.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have used Hankook Vantras for the last 15 years, the latest van runs at 65 psi. I have Tyrepal monitoring, and it at first it is terrifying at what temperature and pressure the tyres get to. But once your understanding these figures. All is good. Present van probably done 30 k miles. Tyres look perfect. Nothing wrong with Hankook.
I think you have possibly had a Pothole side swipe, or even a , let's wait for your replies.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have used Handbook Vantras for the last 15 years, the latest van runs at 65 psi. I have Tyrepal monitoring, and it at first it is terrifying at what temperature and pressure the tyres get to. But once your understanding these figures. All is good. Present van probably done 30 k miles. Tyres look perfect. Nothing wrong with Hankook.
I think you have possibly had a Pothole side swipe, or even a , let's wait for your replies.
The tyre that blew was a Roadcruza, not Hankook Vantra, that’s what are fitted to Kevin M”s caravan and have transited a lot of potholes despite not having been fitted for very long.

But pothole damage could be highly likely. My grandsons car has had four tyres go AWOL this year. All potholes no penetration punctures.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can also be they damaged tire when mounting it.
To high pressure is almost not possible.
And to low gives problems after monts or years.
Tyres can be damaged whilst fitting.

All tyres have a maximum pressure rating, and it is possible to exceed it. Too much pressure will tend to cause tyre wear to the centre of the tread pattern, Pressure taken to extreme might cause they tyre to rupture.

Under (low) pressure will cause the shoulders of the tread pattern to wear more quickly, and the side walls of the tyre will also be weakened as the friction caused by the side wall flexing will cause the side wall to heat up more than its designed to.

There could also have been a fault with the tyre, or it might have been damaged by a pothole or other debris or surface damage whilst towing.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023
Visit site
It must have been quite a shock and of course upsetting. I hope no one has been hurt and no major damage has been done.

Apart from sympathising with you theres not alot we can do at this stage, untill we know in more detail if there is anything more fundamental to be concerned about, and whether we should be boycotting this brand for any good reason.

Please close the circle by telling us the results of the inspection, then we might know if there is anything we should be looking out for.
A result. The tyre was inspected, and the item in the attached picture was found in the caseing. What are the chances of that happening, expecially in a 2mile journey. The main downside is the cost of another new tyre, along with replaceing the Bailey spare wheel winder, which is totally mangled up. Still, a relief that it didn't occur in a worse situation like on a busy motorway.
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies.

Attachments

• 20230530_102608.jpg
    20230530_102608.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: Dustydog and Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A result. The tyre was inspected, and the item in the attached picture was found in the caseing. What are the chances of that happening, expecially in a 2mile journey...
Wow that's quite thing to pick up in a tyre.

I assume when you say the casing you mean it penetrated from outside so you picked it up whilst driving, not that it got in there when the tyre was fitted?

Sadly the risk is obviously there,

I fully understand how upsetting it is loosing a tyre so soon after fitting but the distance is irrelevant it could have happened within meters of having the tyre fitted or at 40K miles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
A result. The tyre was inspected, and the item in the attached picture was found in the caseing. What are the chances of that happening, expecially in a 2mile journey. The main downside is the cost of another new tyre, along with replaceing the Bailey spare wheel winder, which is totally mangled up. Still, a relief that it didn't occur in a worse situation like on a busy motorway.
Thanks for all the thoughts and replies.
Looks like the shaft of a screwdriver?

Reactions: RogerL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts