Roads into then out of Lake District

Jun 25, 2018
Visit site
Hi first time poster here.

I'm travelling from Glasgow down to the Lake District (Ambleside), with caravan and would appreciate some thoughts / suitability on my routes. M74 M6 to Penrith.....A66 to Keswick.....A591 to Ambleside.

Then over to the Durham area A591 A5284 Kendal......A685 Tebay>Brough…...A66 Bowes....A67....A688 Bishop Auckland.

I'm thinking these will be ok?
Many thanks
Trev

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Trev,welcome.I can't comment on the Durham bit,but lakes side looks good,all good A roads,bit of a steep climb out of Keswick past castlerigg hall,should be no problem,have a good safe trip,cheers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the route suggested to Ambleside is decent enough but can be very slow so allow plenty of time. We travel down from Glasgow and that is the route we would use.
I would go back the way you came to the A66. I find Kendal a bit of a nightmare to drive through, although once clear the roads are OK. Lorries are banned on the A685 from the M6 to the M6 because of a steep hill although I have towed up it and not had a problem, but the car will work hard..
The A685 on from the A66 presents no problems but it is slow going and has lots of roundabouts which can get a bit tedious, but if you are going to Bishop Auckland area it is the best route. If you plan to go as far as the A1 I would stay on the A66 as it is faster and easier. We have used the CAMH site a Durham several times and having tried the A685 once and never repeated that, although it is clearly shorter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts