Rogue caravan-redress

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Our 3 year old,top of the range, caravan which was bought new,has,over the time we have owned it,had 38 faults (electrical,water systems,structural etc-I have the details but there are just too many to post on here)and has just come back from its third year service with a 94% damp meter reading within a part of the roof.The latter being the final straw.
We have had two long term foreign holidays spoiled because of major issues whilst away,one cancelled British holiday and several British holidays marred by malfunctions.
I have written to the manufacturer and received a letter of apology from them.
All the problems we have had with the caravan have eventually been solved under warranty and the water ingress will be sorted under warranty.We have,however,now lost all confidence in this caravan and feel insecure in even taking it away for a weekend.
I suppose our case is even further weakened by the fact that we have now decided to cut our losses and buy a new caravan from the same manufacturer (!).We can't find any other we really like!
Given all the problems we have had,and the spoiled holidays,am I whistling in the wind in expecting any redress?I know responsibility ultimately lies with the dealer,but I feel the manufacturer is to blame in this particular case.
I think I know that responses here will be pretty discouraging,but it does seem highly unfair that an expensive product should have caused us so much worry,have cost us in terms of holiday enjoyment and have involved so many visits to the dealer to have warranty issues sorted (or not).
I do have "chapter and verse" on the issues we have experienced.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
You will have very little chance of claiming any 'Consequential Loss' from either the dealer or manufacturer, however if you still own the caravan it might not be too late to reject it 'as not fit for purpose' & get a new replacement caravan.
Go see the CAB or a good solicitor.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Given the catalogue of continuing faults you report, I tend to agree with Nick, that you might have a case under your statutory rights to reject the caravan on the grounds that it was not of merchantable quality at the time of sale.

However you do need to seek advice from a professional before embarking on that course of action.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
As the caravan is nearly three years old, getting it rejected will be extremelyh difficult. In the first instance consider contacting the manufacturer direct referring to your first letter and politely ask if they could do a special deal with the dealer for a new caravan, as your contract will lie with the dealer, due to the unusually number of faults with the current caravan.
Also discuss it with your dealer as ultimately yoru contract will be with the dealer and nto the manufacturer. If you don't try you wil never know. After all you have nothing to lose. Once you have done this please update us and maybe we can offer further advice.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a Swift (Conqueror 540),but I purposely didn't name the manufacturer in my original posting.I didn't want the "Should have bought a Bailey/Lunar/Coachman/Elddis" argument to start!We still like Swifts despite our experience of this utterly appalling "lemon."We like their design more than that of other manufacturers and are prepared to take the risk again in the hope that,this time,the caravan will be (relatively!) fault free.
Judging by the postings on this,and other,forums Swift are no better and no worse than other British manufacturers..including Coachman.
In the 21st Century it should not be beyond the whit of manufacturers to,at the very least,ensure their caravans are waterproof for longer than three years,let alone ensure that electrics and water systems are working before they leave the factory-whistling in the wind,again?
I wonder if Bailey have sorted the ingress problem with Alu tech?Time will tell.I just wish they would make them look more attractive!......subjective view entirely,I accept.
I do reiterate that no purchaser should have had to put up with the issues we have experienced.
Will now try for some goodwill gesture from Swift,but I'm not optimistic.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Well,no luck there.Not going to give up as I still maintain that I have had a raw deal.How many faults are we supposed to put up with?
Apologies if this is getting boring but I have the bit between my teeth now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts