Roof Boxes.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 24, 2014
Visit site
For Raywood.

Car is designed for 100kg on the roof, take the expedition roofracks. Box at 20kg, bars at 4kg, leaves me 75kg to play with. Awning and poles at 32.25 kg combined, chairs at 4kg each. Annex occasionally at 10kg. Not pushing the envelope at all.

Plenty of low down weight in the car as the wifes usually takes her handback. I have carried smaller Bergens than her handbag.

Reactions: Bluetonic
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just looked, as I thought. The Aussies call the Shogun, Pajero.

John
In a car park in Potes a lady parked next to us in a white SWB Mitsubishi almost identical ours which was used for off road jaunts. We got talking and I showed her some photos of ours and when she saw the photo of the rear of ours it was “ giggles R us”. I knew what the effect was going to be beforehand.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have noticed any difference in the way the car handled. The biggest bugbear after off loading everything was going into the town or down to the beach has many car parks now have height barriers to stop people with motorhomes and similar using the car park as a campsite.
A Shogun with a roofbox will definitely fall into this category. With Jeep we just scraped by a few but the majority were definitely out of bounds for us.

Reactions: Thingy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For Raywood.

Car is designed for 100kg on the roof, take the expedition roofracks. Box at 20kg, bars at 4kg, leaves me 75kg to play with. Awning and poles at 32.25 kg combined, chairs at 4kg each. Annex occasionally at 10kg. Not pushing the envelope at all.

Plenty of low down weight in the car as the wifes usually takes her handback. I have carried smaller Bergens than her handbag.
Weight is the least of your concerns. Height is a bigger concern!

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Weight is the least of your concerns. Height is a bigger concern!

I understand that, but having driven artics all my civvi life, I am quite used to looking for and being aware of height with barriers, bridges and low flying clouds. TBH, even without the box, there are some barriers I cant get under, particualrly those that someone else has bent.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I understand that, but having driven artics all my civvi life, I am quite used to looking for and being aware of height with barriers, bridges and low flying clouds. TBH, even without the box, there are some barriers I cant get under, particularly those that someone else has bent.
Surely the Shogun on its own should be able to go under many height barriers as never seen one set at 1.8m

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely the Shogun on its own should be able to go under many height barriers as never seen one set at 1.8m
Years ago my Disco 2 without roof box would not go into a beach park at Harlech. But that was the only one where any of my taller vehicles has had a problem.

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Underground car parks at hotels in Austria and the Rhineland. Had many issues there with the Shogun. Also had an iusse in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, with an XC70 and roofbox. Had to carry the damn thing through the hotel like a coffin. At one hotel we put a wreath on it just to see the diners reactions. It was pretty funny. Who said the Erics dont have a sense of humour.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody use a roof box in conjunction with car and caravan. We used to setup on pitch and have our grandkids delivered to us ;), but wanting now to go farther afield with them, it means packing them with all the other stuff. As per the law, that means us carrying two child seats, so instead of dropping the rear (middle) seats, we now only have the boot. So, I am thinking towards a roof box and wondered what all yout thoughts are.

My car will carry 100kg on the roof, a Thule Motion XT or similar will carry 75kg. However as the box weighs in at 20kg and add maybe 5gk more of locks and bars, its going to give me the full 75kg to load, not that I intend to put that much weight up there. My magnum and IXL poles weigh 32.25kg combined, two Vango Titan Chairs at 4kg each, groundsheet, and assorted bags of boots and shoes etc, and the Skottl Pan is well within the carrying capacity of car roof and roof box. So, all good reasons to do it. My car doesnt suffer much fuel consumption increase when towing, so no reason to think a roofbox will make a drastic difference, but its a thirsty beast anyway. To me, all sound reasons for doing it and I can only think of one con.

The con ................. its a very tall car, and its a short driver. Throwing an awning up there isnt an issue strength wise, but it will still mean a climb to get access.

All that said, what experiences with boxes have you got?

And I have still got to find a home for that darned Cadac, love it to bits but what a dumb shape to pack neatly.
I've used roof boxes for some years mainly for long stay in Spain and found them very useful.I have a front hinged Thule Voyager and a side hindged other make. The longer box is the more useful for windbreak poles etc although I new carry these in a capped length of 4 inch underground drain pipe securely fixeed to the rack along side the box ( and the weight taken into account)
I too have not found a greaat difference in mpg. When on site we sometimes remove the box and support it on rigid crates on the service side of the caravan. Repalcing it on the car away from home ladders etc is not too easy, so now the box stays in place - just watch the extra height in some multisstorey carparks

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
These steps can be handy for getting to a roof box, if your agile enough.
Would be a very handy tool for my wife she could wash the roof of my car in ease and great value for the money

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
These steps can be handy for getting to a roof box, if your agile enough.
A very good idea, but sadly neither of us fall into the agile bracket!

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts