Roof disapointment.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
My good friend and his partner bought this van earlier this year.

b73b5678-5e81-41b1-9707-3dd03583d9a4.jpeg

They found a nice site close to Poole, an area they love. There is storage there and they contracted for storage and for the van to be sited by arrangement.

They are there now and sent me this photo of how they found the condition which has to be caused by the storage.

7d1d3b4d-ed9b-4467-80f5-ad25b66d1e87.jpeg

They were so disapointed. they dont want to have to spend time cleaning it when they only visit for weekends.

It had been left for 6 weeks only. He did complain, I dont know yet how successful that has been.

John

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Looks like sand to me? Didn't you say it was poole based? There's been a massive storm pass through recently, I imagine it got dumped on then. Unless you think it's somehow deliberate?

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
Possible that that is some of it, but does not explain the berries.

John
Stored under a tree I guess so sand and tree sap (along with the berries and probably bird droppings). Not easy to clean off without marring the paint. It wouldn't be noticable on the roof but that's not the point. :(

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The picture is rather grim, but I cannot conceive that a site or storage facility would deliberately cause this type of mess, or knowingly allow it to occur, so my guess it is exceptional storm related. Were other caravans similarly affected?

I have never yet come across a site that offers to keep owners caravans clean as a standard service, it's usually up to the caravan owner to maintain their property or possibly set up a cleaning contract.

To be honest, whilst no one would be happy to find their pride and joy in that condition, but it's most likely the result of natural causes, and one of the risks of caravan ownership.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The caravan has been left under trees. (Probably pine trees I would think looking at it. Not an easy job to clean off.)

The only options I can see are either to put up with it, have it stored somewhere else on the site, or buy a cover for the caravan. I believe that you can purchase a cover that just covers the roof rather than a "whole" caravan?
The cover would if course need cleaning, but least that woukd keep the vast majority of that carp off the roof.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Mr Plodd; undoubtedly under a tree and that will happen especially in the autumn and with the weather we have been having. Not at all nice to come back to, but no one’s fault. Is there a space on the storage site that is not under the trees where the van can be parked?
Mel

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The picture is rather grim, but I cannot conceive that a site or storage facility would deliberately cause this type of mess, or knowingly allow it to occur, so my guess it is exceptional storm related. Were other caravans similarly affected?

I have never yet come across a site that offers to keep owners caravans clean as a standard service, it's usually up to the caravan owner to maintain their property or possibly set up a cleaning contract.

To be honest, whilst no one would be happy to find their pride and joy in that condition, but it's most likely the result of natural causes, and one of the risks of caravan ownership.
I don't suspect for a minute that he expected them to clean it or that or that the condition was caused deliberately. But if you pay for storage you would expect it was fit for purpose. And that the site owners took all reasonable precautions to protect your property. Certainly I have never encountered anything like that even when stored for months.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't suspect for a minute that he expected them to clean it or that or that the condition was caused deliberately. But if you pay for storage you would expect it was fit for purpose. And that the site owners took all reasonable precautions to protect your property. Certainly I have never encountered anything like that even when stored for months.

John
Did they see the pitch where the caravan was stored - or did they hand it over to the site operator for positioning - it looks very much as though it's been parked under a tree.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Did they see the pitch where the caravan was stored - or did they hand it over to the site operator for positioning - it looks very much as though it's been parked under a tree.
The van is stored by the site owner and put on a pitch prior to their stay.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’m surprised if the site owner stores under trees as in addition to detritus there’s the very real risk of damage from fallings. Wonder if other vans were similarly affected.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looks more like six years filth not six weeks!
The giveaway as said by others is the location, geographically, salty seaside air, the conifers and clearly the local birds. The algae and lichen build up is severe for the time of exposure. Unless some pre storage agreement was made I can’t see where in Law the site owner has been negligent.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Looks more like six years filth not six weeks!
The giveaway as said by others is the location, geographically, salty seaside air, the conifers and clearly the local birds. The algae and lichen build up is severe for the time of exposure. Unless some pre storage agreement was made I can’t see where in Law the site owner has been negligent.
I agree with the amount of filth, I think the van is a few miles inland, but I am not sure. Cannot agree re the tort of negligence. The owner will have an inferred obligation to take reasonable care. However, my friend would not go that route, simply withdraw his business. (With a few choice words).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Without knowing the exact circumstances that have led to the deposits on the roof, I think it is wrong to judge the storage factify to be at fault. We only have a second hand version of events , and no balancing views from the site.

If there is a problem the first thing to do is for the customer to have a calm discussion with the site operator to try and get at the details and probable cause. There may be a perfectly innocent explanation, for example there is no doubt ths southern counties have experienced exceptional weather conditions beyond the expectation or control of the site or indeed the caravan owner.

What is beyond doubt is the fact the customer can always choose to take their custom elsewhere. But that should after the situation has been calmly discussed between the caravanner and the site operator.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Without knowing the exact circumstances that have led to the deposits on the roof, I think it is wrong to judge the storage factify to be at fault. We only have a second hand version of events , and no balancing views from the site.

If there is a problem the first thing to do is for the customer to have a calm discussion with the site operator to try and get at the details and probable cause. There may be a perfectly innocent explanation, for example there is no doubt ths southern counties have experienced exceptional weather conditions beyond the expectation or control of the site or indeed the caravan owner.

What is beyond doubt is the fact the customer can always choose to take their custom elsewhere. But that should after the situation has been calmly discussed between the caravanner and the site operator.
I have just spoken to them to arrange to go out for a meal.

As expected from most people, he did have that conversation, only to find that they thought the van was ‘not too bad’. Also total apathy.

They do have a wash bay, so he has cleaned the van. On leaving, he made it clear to them that if they returned it to him in that condition in the future then they would part company.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John,
Apologies now. Just how bright and shiny was your friends caravan before it entered the storage/site?
I really cannot envisage either party taking photos before each period of storage??
King Canute is ringing in my ears😉

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
John,
Apologies now. Just how bright and shiny was your friends caravan before it entered the storage/site?
I really cannot envisage either party taking photos before each period of storage??
King Canute is ringing in my ears😉
I must admit that our caravan is kept under cover in a barn, but the dust that settles on the roof and the new hatch of pigeons do make a mess, you would think it was kept outside. But the pigeons eat the spiders, which droppings are more corrosive than birds Guanno.
A Storm in a sandy area and falling leaves, will give the roof of your van looking terrible. Especially if you have used Fenwick overwintering fluid which is slightly greasy.
You either leave it on and accept a horrible looking roof that you cannot see but have a a slightly sealed greasy roof or have a clean roof with possibilities of leaky cross seals.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would be unhappy with a caravan returned in this condition ,but as it looks to have been washed off, so no real damage. I agree with the action taken in asking the site to store it in a better position or if not he will move it to some other site. What they do probably depends on how hey value the customer.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I have several tree 's that give leaves and debris that rain down on top of the van and few years ago bought Finegans winter protection, applied that after cleaning top of van which at the time was really stained. Come Spring and washed the van and looking at the top was amazed at how clean it was. Just done this years application.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have several tree 's that give leaves and debris that rain down on top of the van and few years ago bought Finegans winter protection, applied that after cleaning top of van which at the time was really stained. Come Spring and washed the van and looking at the top was amazed at how clean it was. Just done this years application.
I used Fenwicks Overwintering fluid for many years. Even if we took the caravan out in winter I left the coating in place. It picked up dirt but when spring came it all washed off very well taking the muck off with it.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I used Fenwicks Overwintering fluid for many years. Even if we took the caravan out in winter I left the coating in place. It picked up dirt but when spring came it all washed off very well taking the muck off with it.
I gave my caravan a coat of car wax/sealant a few weeks ago (as that's what I had and it works on the car). The day after it was targeted by two birds, or perhaps the same one twice :rolleyes:, two big dollops on one side. It only took couple of rain showers and the dollops had washed off.
Is Fenwick's or any other caravan specific product significantly better. Genuine question, I bought my first caravan a few months ago so I'm still learning.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I gave my caravan a coat of car wax/sealant a few weeks ago (as that's what I had and it works on the car). The day after it was targeted by two birds, or perhaps the same one twice :rolleyes:, two big dollops on one side. It only took couple of rain showers and the dollops had washed off.
Is Fenwick's or any other caravan specific product significantly better. Genuine question, I bought my first caravan a few months ago so I'm still learning.
Fenwicks is different from using car polish. They make three products. The cleaner, Bobby Dazzler and Overwintering. The cleaner is self explanatory, and is a low foam cleaner. Bobby Dazzler can be used on a clean caravan and a small quantity is mixed with water and sprayed or brushed on the van. It brings up a shine on a clean van, but it’s not as long lasting as a polish. It’s a bit like Demon Shine. The overwintering fluid you mix with water and then spray over a clean caravan. It’s gives a “waxy” coating that is then washed off in spring. Dirt tends to stick to it and any mould growth is easy to wash off.

For keeping the caravans looking good I would use Autoglym polish with a coat of Autoglym Shine Protector in the spring and autumn. But use Fenwicks products then for intervening spruce ups. I’m not a great fan of spending hours labouring over cars or caravans, but have often been complimented on their condition when I sell them.

Reactions: Beardy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts