Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Following the fuel tanker fire at the pont Mathilda bridge, does any one know 1, if its reopened yet or 2 of an alternative route. I thinking of going around abbeville

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We've come through Rouen, twice in each direction, in the last four weeks, and had no problems. The route we use is here and here. Personally I wouldn't use the official diversions, which is where all the HGVs are directed. There are no signs suggesting that traffic other than HGVs should take the diversion.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Val, this is great. Thank you so much. We are not going that way until August, but I have printed off both your sets of directions and put them inside our Michelin ready for use. From your pictures I recognise where you mean, as I have almost taken the wrong tunnel more than once.

Jo

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We are off on Friday week and will be going through Rouen on Saturday - probably around lunchtime. I have Val's directions and, looking at the map, they seem pretty clear. Does anyone know whether the situation is still the same?
Jo

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Yes, it's still the same, and will be until towards the middle of 2014 at least. The route we use is still fine for those heading south.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Thank you Val. Actually, your directions look a better bet than the usual route anyway, as they seem to bring us out on the A/N154 further south.
Jo

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
JoannaLesley said:
Thank you Val. Actually, your directions look a better bet than the usual route anyway, as they seem to bring us out on the A/N154 further south.
Jo

The route that Val gave is my usual route,
I have used it for the last ten years or so.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Steve - we've been doing the same, but have noticed how much busier it's got in recent years. At one time we seemed to be the only caravan on the road - now there are lots of others!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Val A. said:
Steve - we've been doing the same, but have noticed how much busier it's got in recent years. At one time we seemed to be the only caravan on the road - now there are lots of others!

I suppose the ever increasing number of people using sat-navs, means there are no "secret" back ways any more.
I hope that a lot of the new users will return to their old routes, but as it is such an easy route to follow and more restfull than
charging down motorways, maybe they will make it their new "prefered" route.

Steve W

PS the way this forum works is a bit of a joke, The way it formats text is really annoying.
SW

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a word of warning. We came through Rouen (using Val's route, which will be our route of choice from now on) and the queue to get into and through the Grandmere tunnel was very long and slow. It added around 1.5 hours to our overall journey. It might be an idea to try to find an alternative route.
Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts