Route through Lyons

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Just planning my route South for our hols in August and a glance at the map shows that the roads around Lyons look a touch "entertaining"! Anybody any advice which is the best way through/around? Appears to me to be a choice of the M/Way straight through the city (including a tunnel?), or some sort of bypass to the East. All comments gratefully received.

Cheers, Mike

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We usually do the tunnels through the centre. The eastern by-pass seems endless. However, they're very cunning with the signposting. Normally you follow the signs to Orange and this takes you through the tunnels, but at peak times they change the signs and the Orange sign takes you around the bypass. (Which is why we know it seems endless - caught out once before). However, we know the roads so well now that we're not fooled!

Traffic can be slow-moving through Lyon in peak season, so try to go through at an off-peak time, if that's possible. We've found the hour around 12.30 to 1.30 is quietish, usually with early morning and tea-time being bedlam!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
We've done it both ways - bypass and through the city. To be honest it's six and half a dozen. The bypass is longer but generally flows better so timewise it's about the same although I would say it's better signposted. Follow the signs to Marseille and you can't go wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts