Routes to Spain - Somport Tunnel?

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We will be heading down through western France early next month (Il -de-Re then down past Bordeaux). The intention then is to make our first foray mit caravan into Spain. My outline plan is to head to the Spanish border via Pau then the N134 to the Somport tunnel and on to a site near Jaca. Does anyone have any experience of towing on this route through the Pyrenees? (outfit is a 7.2m long Senator Oklahoma + X-Trail).

Thanks!

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
from my husband

No problems - the route has been upgraded for the tunnel on both sides. I would suggest going via Oloron St. Marie.

As an alternative if you are going further into Spain you might consider going via D132 and the Col St Martin. This looks horrendous on the map, and the hairpins are a little steeper than on your proposed route, but the road is mainly wide and well-surfaced - much used by coaches for skiers. We haven't taken a caravan simply because we were frightened off by the map, but a solo journey suggests it is fine.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Thanks - Oloron Ste Marie is on my intended route i.e. N134 Pau - Oloron Ste Marie then continue on the N134 through the Somport tunnel to Jaca. One of my concerns about choosing any trans-Pyrenees route involving a tunnel is that I will have bikes on the roof-rack of my X-trail and therefore the height will be circa 3.15m.

Having located the suggested D132, I have to agree that it looks pretty challenging (at least on the map). However, we intend to head SE once we cross the Pyrenees so the route to Jaca then via Huesca and Lleida to the Med, therefore the N134 and Somport tunnel does seem best. Thanks again.

Keith (M)

http://www.keith.mercer.dsl.pipex.com/Caravan_Touring.html

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
"Why not put the bikes in the van when you go through the tunnel?"

That is Plan B :)

Seriously though, the Caravan Club's Europe site guide shows the height of the Somport tunnel to be 4.55m, so we should have plenty of space to spare (one of the reasons for choosing this route). Some of the other tunnels on trans-Pyrenean passes are rather more limiting.

Never having driven/towed over the Pyrenees, any feedback from those who have is most welcome (thanks Angela).

Keith (M)

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Thanks - Oloron Ste Marie is on my intended route i.e. N134 Pau - Oloron Ste Marie then continue on the N134 through the Somport tunnel to Jaca. One of my concerns about choosing any trans-Pyrenees route involving a tunnel is that I will have bikes on the roof-rack of my X-trail and therefore the height will be circa 3.15m.

Having located the suggested D132, I have to agree that it looks pretty challenging (at least on the map). However, we intend to head SE once we cross the Pyrenees so the route to Jaca then via Huesca and Lleida to the Med, therefore the N134 and Somport tunnel does seem best. Thanks again.

Keith (M)

]http://www.keith.mercer.dsl.pipex.com/Caravan_Touring.html
http://www.keith.mercer.dsl.pipex.com/Caravan_Touring.html[/quote
When you have completed your trip, it would be interesting to hear how you got on.

Good luck

Alex

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Keep an eye on your engine temperature on the uphill bits. If getting a bit hot, turn on the heater full and opena all the windows, but stopping to cool of probably better if you can find a safe pull-off.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts