Royal Welsh Show: Police will seize dangerous cara

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Powys County Times has run an attention grabbing headline:

Royal Welsh Show: Police will seize dangerous caravans

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/16368893.royal-welsh-show-police-will-seize-dangerous-caravans/
The article goes on to include a list of Do's, which frankly displays which claims to have been soursed from eth Dyfed-Powys Police.

Someone, really ought to have their knuckles wrapped about it, becasue it does not represent the UK legal requirements. The subject has already been picked up on Caravan Talk, and its been suggested the list could have come from Australia.

Whilst the list may have some detail inaccuracies, such as the need for trailers to be registered, and the need to carry a serviceable spare wheel, and that a gas bottle is full???? its core message is actually good.

Again, in Caravan Talk, someone has suggested that for the police to seize a caravan or indeed any vehicle for technical infringements they would need to have VOSA officials to make technical assessments, Well in fact any police officer who suspects that a vehicle (or trailer) may not be legal or safe has the power to stop its further usage and or instruct the driver to stop or take it to a particular place pending further checks. That action does not require a DVSA officer. The police do not need to have DVSA support before applying to prosecute.

But DVSA expertise is usually used to support applications to prosecute in such matters.

I'm sure others will wish to comment.

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/16368893.royal-welsh-show-police-will-seize-dangerous-caravans/
The article goes on to include a list of Do's, which frankly displays which claims to have been soursed from eth Dyfed-Powys Police.

Someone, really ought to have their knuckles wrapped about it, becasue it does not represent the UK legal requirements. The subject has already been picked up on Caravan Talk, and its been suggested the list could have come from Australia.

Whilst the list may have some detail inaccuracies, such as the need for trailers to be registered, and the need to carry a serviceable spare wheel, and that a gas bottle is full???? its core message is actually good.

Again, in Caravan Talk, someone has suggested that for the police to seize a caravan or indeed any vehicle for technical infringements they would need to have VOSA officials to make technical assessments, Well in fact any police officer who suspects that a vehicle (or trailer) may not be legal or safe has the power to stop its further usage and or instruct the driver to stop or take it to a particular place pending further checks. That action does not require a DVSA officer. The police do not need to have DVSA support before applying to prosecute.

But DVSA expertise is usually used to support applications to prosecute in such matters.

Often, organised road checks are carried out as a multi-agency event involving the Police, VOSA and others. However, if the Police Officer is an authorised vehicle examiner, or that particular ‘Force’ has civilian vehicle examiners, then prosecutions would be brought about without VOSA’s assistance even for the more complex things. For the more straight forward offences (lighting, tyres etc), any Police Officer can submit the evidence to the CPS who make the decision whether to prosecute or not.

As for gas bottles, their remark isn’t strictly correct either. Providing the correct shut-off valves are fitted, you can run with the gas turned on. Although I ALWAYS turn off the gas, our Lunar (like many motorhomes) is fitted with shut-off valves which operate in the event of an accident, but allow you to keep the caravan’s heating on whilst travelling. I have never tried it, but it is perfectly legal to do.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the words "could be seized" should be pointed out, which suggests only the worst offenders will have that done.
Not sure where the red box is taken from as it looks plain wrong in respect of registering the caravan, and there is no reason why the gas bottle should be full and neither is a safety issue.
If caravans are just plain dangerous and beyond short term repair then seizure might be appropriate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Why a full gas bottle ?

Well if you are stranded in the Outback and without charcoal you need something to cook with. Aussie rules? Or more likely you need the gas to keep the fridge going and the Fosters cold.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
NigelHutson said:
ProfJohnL said:

Often, organised road checks are carried out as a multi-agency event involving the Police, VOSA and others. However, if the Police Officer is an authorised vehicle examiner, or that particular ‘Force’ has civilian vehicle examiners, then prosecutions would be brought about without VOSA’s assistance even for the more complex things. For the more straight forward offences (lighting, tyres etc), any Police Officer can submit the evidence to the CPS who make the decision whether to prosecute or not.

As for gas bottles, their remark isn’t strictly correct either. Providing the correct shut-off valves are fitted, you can run with the gas turned on. Although I ALWAYS turn off the gas, our Lunar (like many motorhomes) is fitted with shut-off valves which operate in the event of an accident, but allow you to keep the caravan’s heating on whilst travelling. I have never tried it, but it is perfectly legal to do.

I just wonder what our caravan designers will come up with next. Keeping your heating on whilst towing is bizarre as we are frequently told how effective these modern van heating systems are. If the companies put half as much effort into producing better quality caravans that don’t leak and have a useable payload I’d be more impressed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts