Royan

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
we are going to Royan in France in July. Staying overnight in Caern which we have done before,then plan to travel very early the followng morning and do it in one day. Looked at some mapquest routes but wondering if any of you good people out there have done this route before and how long it took plus any problems you may have encountered.Any comments greatly appreiciated.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lee.

I find - http://www.viamichelin.com better than Mapquest.

You can set your vehicle type and add caravan etc, and you can drag and expand the maps easily.

I guess you have route toward Rennes and Nantes. We've found that route to be quite busy at times with caravans etc heading for Brittany and the west coast and Mont St Michel is a big draw.

Consider 1 - Le Mans / Tours / Poitiers

or 2 Le Mans / Angers / Niort

1 would be my choice keeping away from the coast and summer holiday traffic but you takes your chance and all the roads flow pretty well.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Chris, funny but we did the route to Le Mans last year as we stayed 20 mile south of Samur and it did cross my mind to go that way again the maps seem to suggest the coastal route. Think I'll try via michelin.

Thank again

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Lee.

Michelin will give you direct route via Rennes.

We found that way rather hit and miss traffic wise at times. One time good others times very busy neat Mont S M and Rennes and trundling down towards La Roche area.

We go to LeMans a lot and if you are happy going that way and your not heading towards the L'Ocean on Friday PM that's my prefered route.

If you have not done Futuroscope at Poitiers here is your chance as well especially if you have kids -

http://www.futuroscope.com/eng/index.php( the evening show is not to be missed! )

Whilst at Royan - http://www.zoo-palmyre.com/index_flash.html

And the Sunday Market at La Palmyre is good, but get there early!

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chris looked at the michelin site and printed off both routes to study. We visited futuroscope last year but sadly had to miss the light show.

Thanks again and will make a note of the zoo and market

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you enjoyed the day and fancy it again the Evening shows just have to be seen. They change them every year or so, we go most years just to experience the evening shows they are so special.

I forgot the Royan ferry across the Gironde is a good experience with the car as well if you fancy a trip south you can do a long day trip across the river and down to Bordeaux and up the other side back to Royan if you like driving and if the weather should be indifferent one day.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
No worries.

5th day off !

As you approach the roandabout at La Palmyre just past Zoo entrance there is a Palmyr Wind Surf shop. http://www.palmyrwind.com/

Just set to the left by the roundabout is a parade of shops on the corner_ Avenue de l'Ocean I think.

The fabcy ICE Cream Parlour to the left is to die for!

You'll need that day to rest ;-)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee,

We've done this trip a few times now. We usually go via Rennes, Nantes. It's about 8.5 hrs and around 380 miles.

The first time we went via La Rochelle but the roads from there are quite small and slow going. The next time we continued on to the A10 and came off at Saintes (jt 35) onto the N150. Although this is slightly longer it takes about the same time but is easier with a caravan.

It's a great area though, I'm sure you'll enjoy your holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We did this journey last year, took the 3-30 am ferry from Dover, went via Rouen, Le Mans, Poitiers, 500 miles, took us 10 hours and I was done for when we arrived, did the same on the journey home but had a good night's sleep and felt a lot better.

This year I'm going via Rennes, Nantes and stopping half way, last year was too tiring.

Jim

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I feel that the 3.30 ferry was the cause of being shattered Jim rather than the drive ;-)

We've done it so many times and on to Bordeaux I don't really use the satnav. We normally stopover outside Calais from the late night ferry and have a nice breakfast then about 4 or so hours to LeMans or Alencon for lunch and then another 4or so to Royan. Really easy and steady drive that way litle traffic worry.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mac

Which port in France did you travel from. I suspect its further north as via michelin says 319 miles from Caern and 5.5hrs but I was thinking about 6/6.5hrs travel time.

cris

What do we do on day six!

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Well there is miles of nudist beach between Royan and La Palmyre

and they don't take any notice of where the Naturiste area ends!

Don't worry about the effects of all that ice cream on your figures the nudists in the main don't care about their figures ;-)

Or you could do http://www.bernezac.com/phare_coubre_uk.htm

and the Cote Sauvage beaches or join me power kiting if I'm fit enough by summer!

It's only 43 miles to Cognac ;-) and a visit to Remy Martin is good with "train ride".

Jarnac where Hine comes from is quite pretty on the Charente river just up the road.

http://www.hinecognac.com/f001_house.htm
Visits by invite only, they gave me a bottle of XO when I visited.

XO Antique happens to be my favourite Gognac on rare ocasions that I drink.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for my itinery for my hols this year I think I might just have enough time to sober up before the home leg after all that!

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee,

The 380 miles was from Le Havre to La Palmyre via Rennes & Nantes but that should only be a little further than Caen to Royan. If you go via Saintes instead of cutting off at La Rochelle it's 415 miles but takes about the same time.

I think you'll be lucky to make it in 6 hrs. I've done it several times - each time around 8.5 hrs.

Mac.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
cris how long does it take youto go that route.

Oh dear my wife has just come into the room and says she thinks she has just bought a new caravan what do I do?

A) Panic

B) Go along with it

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
re Caravan. Go along with it!

Whilst loading are van read to go to LaPalmyre I found we needed a couple of spares from a nearby dealers, I did a quick round trip and made the mistake of mentioning to my boss that I'd seen some really nice near new used vans. I was hauled back to the dealers and we made our choice in the 5 mins before they closed, went home and unpacked the van to take for the trade in deal in the morning. Deal done they said the van would be fully serviced for collection Thursday lunch time so we could get it home load it and make the two hour trip to the 11pm ferry !

Caen to Le mans is about 105 miles and Le mans to Royan is 235 and 6.5 hours with a fuel stop is about right. We do the trip from Calais these days and I don't think we have ever taken more than 8.5 hours, nearer 8 we do it in two hits with just a lunch stop at Alencon or Le Mans for Lunch.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Now I'm really stuck. Dont know which route to take now and dont know if I should change the van!

Done Le Mans route last year as we stayed 20 miles south of Samur so that route I am familiar with. As for a new van....... tempting isn't it.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
If you go to via Michelin and put in the route to Royan and then put in via Le Mans and zoom in on the map and drag it along both routes so you see all the turns it shows clearly that the route via Le mans is far easier.

As before, it keeps you away from the busy holiday coastal traffic and is just a more smooth flowing route. Having done many trips out from Royan and traveled the routes of Rennes and Nantes etc numerous times if you want a quiet easy drive via Le Mans offers that at most times.

In june we will have people and Equipment going into Le Mans for the race weeks from Caen and Calais and runs to Val de Loire airport ferrying people in and out to the track. None of us that work those routes and caravan around Royan or Further south would choose Via Rennes etc as the smooth driving easy route.

If she like the new van, go for it ;-) You know it makes sense ;0)

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Think I'll take yor advice and do Le Mans/Royan.

Going for it as well. Off to the dealers on wed with the deposit. Feel like a kid in a sweet shop.

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Oh dear this is where it could get awkward!

I know you dont like fixed beds but blame my wife for this one. Its a twin axle Crusader Super Sirocco. We've had Crusaders before with different layouts and currently an Abbey Spectrum 520 but with a wife and two teenage daughters THEY need a big bathroom. I love the van externaly and do you think I had a say in the layout? Well I did have a little input and I used to hate fixed beds but have changed my view on this van. So we will have to just wait and see. When the kids stop touring with us then it will be a posh 2 berth. By then though we will probably end up back with the layout we have now.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We both hate the fixed beds as my wife is 6 foot tall and I make her look small! My eldest daughter still caravans with us some times but still prefers to tent it in the Awning, she's a technical software consultant and leaves the make up and designer gear at home and revels in roughing it :).

I've always done the cooking and she and our son crash our holidays for the food and as I get older he can now show dad up on the sea and on most of the on site sports apart from the indoor table football!

Enjoy the new van and I hope you enjoy the Royan area as much as we have done.

ps

If you are into cycling there are miles of coastal cycle paths and forest paths from LaPalmyre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts