rules of the road in spain

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Could any of you seasoned travellers,please tell me of any requirements i need to know to tow on spanish roads,eg can i put bicycles on the back of my car, any equipment i need to carry with me. Many thanks and happy camping this summer.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
High-vis vests are required in Spain for anyone leaving a disabled vehicle standing by the roadside, but I guess you've already heard about that.

If you carry bicycles (or any other load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle) you must display a 50x50cm sign with diagonal red and white stripes. You can buy it locally at any car accessory shop.

Use of headsets for telephoning while driving is forbidden.

The speed limits when towing are 50kph in built-up areas, 70kph outside and 80kph on minimum of one full lane of road in each direction and motorways.

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
High-vis vests are required in Spain for anyone leaving a disabled vehicle standing by the roadside, but I guess you've already heard about that.

If you carry bicycles (or any other load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle) you must display a 50x50cm sign with diagonal red and white stripes. You can buy it locally at any car accessory shop.

The speed limits when towing are 50kph in built-up areas, 70kph outside and 80kph on minimum of one full lane of road in each direction and motorways.
The diagonal red and white striped sign indicates an overhang at the rear of a vehicle. I doubt if it would be needed if there was a caravan behind bikes mounted on the back of a car.

I have seen many bikes inverted on roof racks on cars towing caravans.

Spain requires 2 warning triangles and light bulbs as well as the reflective vests.

James

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

A second warning triangle is not a legal requirement in Spain for foreign registered vehicles.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
As much as I like Spain and the Spanish people just keep your eyes double peeled and doubly expect the unexpected!

Working around Barcelona a few weeks back we saw some "remarkable" driving practices and I was glad of all the abs and other gizmo's more than once.

Have also seen "bump" parking quite a few times in Spain = car reversed back and forth many times into a tiny parking space banging the bumbers of the car front to the front and rear ! Ok to see when its not your car being nudged! :-0

Jun 2, 2006
Visit site
A second warning triangle is not a legal requirement in Spain for foreign registered vehicles.
Hi Lutz,

Information on this seems to vary, most of the sources of information don't seem to differentiate between locals and foreigners, the UK caravan club agrees with you but suggests carrying 2 "to avoid local difficulties".

I would guess they mean on the spot fines from the 2 motorcycle police you see all the time, who may not carry all the small print.

If you speak Spanish it shouldn't be a problem.

James

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts