S Max.1.8 or 2.0?

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi.

We have an endowment policy due to mature next year and were contemplating a complete change of car and caravan.

The caravan would be a Bailey Pageant Sancerre,and a Ford S Max TDCI.(Approx.82% match i believe).

I was wondering if a 1.8 would suffice or better to and the go for the 2.0.

Does anyone have any experience of the S Max?

I know Practical Caravan magazine have one on their fleet and they seem more than happy with the vehicle but not sure about engine size.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If you have a choice go for power every time, i would expect very little difference in mpg, but an improvement in towing, and solo performance.

Only go for the 18 if running costs dictate.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
the 1.8 is a bit lacking in power even for the car on its own, i had a s max 2.0 tdci for around a year and it was a fine tow car with our coachman vip 530/4 which is a very heavy van. i sold the s max a purchased a ford galaxy ghia which again had the 2.0 tdci engine this car too was an excellent tow car. if i was to go back to a mpv i would definitely choose either of the ford mpv's with the 2.0 tdci or even better the 2.2 tdci which is what i now have in my transit, its an absolute stormer of engine with tons of torque for towing.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to both of you.

I must say after reading some of the s max owners reviews on the web,im a little concerned about a few problems they have had e.g.engine management faults,clutch failure,diesel particulate filter.

I realise there are problems with most cars but im a little concerned about the above.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Adrian

I would expect to find faults with any car, if you look up lexus, one of the most reliable makes, you will still find cars with problems.

What you need to research is the faults per 100 for a number, or the percent failure rate.

Clutch problems can be reduced by fitting a mover, it actually cost effective, any car can have management problems, a down load usually sorts this, as for the dpf, some makes such as mazda 6 have had a bad press, i have one on my xtrail, my mileage is 90% local driving, and at 7k miles i have as yet never seen the regen light on.

You will be had pressed to find a car with out one now, even petrol models i believe are being fitted with one.

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Adrian

I would expect to find faults with any car, if you look up lexus, one of the most reliable makes, you will still find cars with problems.

What you need to research is the faults per 100 for a number, or the percent failure rate.

Clutch problems can be reduced by fitting a mover, it actually cost effective, any car can have management problems, a down load usually sorts this, as for the dpf, some makes such as mazda 6 have had a bad press, i have one on my xtrail, my mileage is 90% local driving, and at 7k miles i have as yet never seen the regen light on.

You will be had pressed to find a car with out one now, even petrol models i believe are being fitted with one.
I had a 08 SMax 2.2TDCi with engine man system errors, but it was one of the first build with that engine. I now have a 09 2.2TDCi and that drives totally different and is an excellent towcar. I have a Hobby 560Kfme with an 85% match and it tows brilliantly. Getting around 28/29 to the gallon. You can check all the specs of both 1.8 and 2.0 on www.whattowcar.com

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I had a 08 SMax 2.2TDCi with engine man system errors, but it was one of the first build with that engine. I now have a 09 2.2TDCi and that drives totally different and is an excellent towcar. I have a Hobby 560Kfme with an 85% match and it tows brilliantly. Getting around 28/29 to the gallon. You can check all the specs of both 1.8 and 2.0 on www.whattowcar.com

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Thank you.To be honest,after the van purchase,our budget would only possibly stretch to a 56/57 plate.

Another possible car for us would be the Honda CRV mk.2.

Not a 7 seater but a combination of the 2.2 diesel engine along with build quality and reasonable running costs plus i think a 55/56/57 plate has a 100kg towball limit as compared to 75kg for the S Max.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I've got an 09 2.0TDCi S-max pulling 1420kg of van and its an excellent towcar. Pulls like a train, 30-33mpg towing and 45mpg around the country roads. Comfy and a vast area to load stuff into. Even with the two grandsons and all their clobber for a week away we have stacks of room. Previously we used an 06 2.0TDCi C-max, again an excellent tug with a similar MPG but quite a bit quicker when solo - in fact it goes like a rocket. Again plenty of room but only 5 seats and a max tow capacity of 1500kg where the S-max can pull 1750. I don't doubt that the 1.8 would do the job but I'd suggest the extra torques & power of the 2.0 would save a lot of gear changing and make for a more relaxed drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts