S max, what they like?

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Wanting to change next year from my zafira tourer to an s max.

What they like to tow with?

Im not 100% decided on what engine i want yet or manual or auto. Either way everyone i have looked at is more then able to tow my caravan.

So what you got and whats it like?

Thanks, H

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Worst car we have ever had, numerous electrical problems, took Ford dealer 6 weeks , said it was fixed, still problems, either wouldn't start or if it did alarm would go off while driving, wipers would work when switched off,couldn't wait to get rid of it in the end, it was the 1.9 zetec engine.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I heard the early s max's did have a few electrical gremlins, but on the whole good cars.

My top choices would be either 2.0 petrol turbo with auto box or 2.0 diesel with manual or auto box

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
Got a 2016 2.0 diesel Powershift so auto

Great car. Looking to tow with it shortly. The review on the website rates it highly (albeit in manual form)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Check out Powershift carefully as it’s a double synchro gearbox. If it’s oil lubricated that’s better but the dry versions have had problems. A large US and Australian class action has just been settled. My daughters 2014 Focus is in the main dealer for three days work required to change the clutch packs and leaky oil seal. This car has done less than 20 k miles. Her recent Saab 9-3 2.0T Aero 2003 did over 130k miles without a problem. Ford UK are looking after these boxes for five years but aren’t advertising it.
VAG DSG aren’t immune to problems either.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
I had an 07 plate 2.0l TDCI which is the engine built in conjunction with Peugeot.....
Seriously the most problematic car I've ever owned, and had a proper "gremlin" which made it randomly drop in to limp mode; not too much of an issue solo as i could get to a safe point, turn off and re start and all would be fine for a days, weeks or months sometimes. It came to a head when it kept doing it with the caravan on the back, and D-day came when all was well going to Cornwall then it was dropping in to limp mode every few miles on the A30. Never got to the bottom of the issue as each time the OBD was scanned, it gave a different fault.

On the plus side, it was a nice car to drive, got good MPG and had a huge luggage space (and payload), almost van-like with the flat fold seats. I would probably have another one just for that reason but i'd be doing my homework and not get an early model.

On the towing side of things, I had a S1 Valencia on the back (1565kg MTPLW) and it was capable, slightly struggled on bigger hills but was a very stable tow car.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Do not suppose anybody knows where i can find the tow eeights for the diff models/engines..or knows the one with highest tow weight?

Thanks

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I had a 2011 model 2 litre diesel manual in the 163 bhp form for 3 years. It was a great car, only 1 minor problem with the stop start button not recognising the clutch was depressed. Sorted by dealer and never occurred again. It was pre-caravan so I didn't tow with it but it was rated to 1800kg.

Looking a mark 2 now and the 2 litre diesel auto awd is rated to tow 2000kg. The tow weights for the rest are all in the brochure in the link in my other thread.

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
HNB, Look at Tuftys thread about kerb weight might be helpfull.
I.do not see anything about the diff weights for the diff s max models? :(

Im only after trying to find out what models have what towing weights so i can chose wisely lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts