Sad news from Volvo

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Volvo have announced that they will no longer be taking orders in UK for estate cars or saloons as sales have dropped significantly and they no longer align with the company's overall strategy for electrification. SUVs only from now on.

I've had three Volvo estates (245GLE, 740, and XC70) and whilst I cannot say that the "customer experience " was tops, the dogs loved them and they were a useful place to drop the Barbour jacket. I even brushed off the jokes from colleagues about "what is the difference between a Volvo estate and a cow?" And the porcupine one too.
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, just read that, I'm on my third. Had a 940 Turbo estate in 1997, a V90 D4 in 2018 and now a V90 B4, all were ex-demonstrators so quite well-equipped. Always liked Volvo's, they just seemed to do everything "right" with no fuss. The only gripe I've had with both V90's is the gearbox isn't as responsive as other makes, possibly due to it being a conventional T/C box.

No idea what I'll go for next, never liked SUV's, always preferred large luxury estates, the Audi A6 is a reasonable alternative I suppose.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My first Volvo was the Amazon and a very comfortable car to drive. I then bought a S80 manual second hand and it was a great car. Traded it in for brand new 2004 S80 and it was all downhill from there. The auto gearbox was terrible and gave us some very scary moments.

At one point the whole rear suspension needed to be replaced and the car had not even done 5k. A few months later the gearbox totally locked up and the car had to be towed off from my workplace. We took a huge loss and traded it in after 18 months for a 1996 Toyota SUV Surf and never looked back.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
My first Volvo was the Amazon and a very comfortable car to drive. I then bought a S80 manual second hand and it was a great car. Traded it in for brand new 2004 S80 and it was all downhill from there. The auto gearbox was terrible and gave us some very scary moments.

At one point the whole rear suspension needed to be replaced and the car had not even done 5k. A few months later the gearbox totally locked up and the car had to be towed off from my workplace. We took a huge loss and traded it in after 18 months for a 1996 Toyota SUV Surf and never looked back.

Yes, Volvo's reputation certainly went downhill in the early 2000's (was that when it was owned by Ford?). The 940 estate I had in 1997 is still on the road today!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Not ever had a Volvo but as an idea it does seem that they are limiting their market and they must lose sales as a result.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes, Volvo's reputation certainly went downhill in the early 2000's (was that when it was owned by Ford?). The 940 estate I had in 1997 is still on the road today!
I am fairly sure that was after Ford took over. The Mondeo with the Powershift gearbox had the same issue. It was widely reported on Volvo forums.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am fairly sure that was after Ford took over. The Mondeo with the Powershift gearbox had the same issue. It was widely reported on Volvo forums.
I don’t think that the Volvo estates or larger saloons had Powershift. My Gen3 XC70 had Aisin TC which I found to be excellent.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don’t think that the Volvo estates or larger saloons had Powershift. My Gen3 XC70 had Aisin TC which I found to be excellent.
You are correct as it was known by a different name, but was probably the Powershift as the fault was identical.

May 15, 2023
Visit site
They are apparently still going to supply the UK police forces:

“Volvo Car UK will continue to supply saloon and estate authority specification models to our emergency services customers,” reads Volvo’s statement. “This includes V60 and V90, together with their Cross Country variants, and S90.
“Authority specification vehicles have high performance engines alongside lower interior specification, with uprated payload capacity and upgraded brakes. These vehicles are not subject to the 112mph speed limiter found in all our other cars. Authority vehicles are designed and built specifically for the use of these key customers. They are available via the Volvo Car UK Special Vehicles department and can be converted for blue or amber light use"

Reactions: GaryB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They are apparently still going to supply the UK police forces:

“Volvo Car UK will continue to supply saloon and estate authority specification models to our emergency services customers,” reads Volvo’s statement. “This includes V60 and V90, together with their Cross Country variants, and S90.
“Authority specification vehicles have high performance engines alongside lower interior specification, with uprated payload capacity and upgraded brakes. These vehicles are not subject to the 112mph speed limiter found in all our other cars. Authority vehicles are designed and built specifically for the use of these key customers. They are available via the Volvo Car UK Special Vehicles department and can be converted for blue or amber light use"
That’s probably as BMW are ceasing supply to British police. So Volvo spotted an opportunity.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s probably as BMW are ceasing supply to British police. So Volvo spotted an opportunity.
Some serious problem with the N57 engine ? Not sure on the detail but clearly there had been earlier problems.
If ever I give up the SUV. a large Volvo estate was a target. Not now

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
You are correct as it was known by a different name, but was probably the Powershift as the fault was identical.
So far as I am aware, Volvo’s used Asin torque converter boxes they called Geartronic.

I dont know if they experimented with Powershift under Ford. But mine Gertronic was faultless.

I wonder if the desision is purely finantial. I understand that they have a long waiting list for their SUV’s

If I could have aforded an XC40 that would have been my choice.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some serious problem with the N57 engine ? Not sure on the detail but clearly there had been earlier problems.
If ever I give up the SUV. a large Volvo estate was a target. Not now
The N57 3.0 litre 6 cylinder diesel seems to have a weakness when used for high speed traffic cars. BMW maintain it is fine for normal motoring duties. Some police forces have placed operational limits on their cars.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
So far as I am aware, Volvo’s used Asin torque converter boxes they called Geartronic.

I dont know if they experimented with Powershift under Ford. But mine Gertronic was faultless.

I wonder if the desision is purely finantial. I understand that they have a long waiting list for their SUV’s

If I could have aforded an XC40 that would have been my choice.

John
You are right Aisin gearbox was a torque converter epicyclic box not a dual/ twin clutch such as Powershift/DSG etc. Like you I found my 2010 XC70 with the D5 Geartronic an excellent drive. When the Gen 3 V70/XC70 Ford had sorted out most of the inherited problems from Gen 2 which was designed prior to Ford buying Volvo in 1999, just like they did with Freelander 2 and Jaguar saloons.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
Is it that sad news? Geely have some dubious supply chain choices in China, and whether you believe the headlines or not do you want to be buying another Chinese brand car? That's not to say that volvo couldn't still make a decent car, but I believe it's probably best if we don't encourage continued Chinese expansion in manufacturing where it can be avoided easily.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The “sad news” is that a company long recognised for producing safe, roomy estate cars will no longer be supplying the market. No intent to get into an anti Chinese debate. But UKs only gigafactory in Sunderland is Chinese Envision, which had it not been built could have led to Nissan leaving.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Not only are they stopping saloons or estates, they are going post haste at full electric. AMazingly they have discontinued PHEV XC40's...

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Not only are they stopping saloons or estates, they are going post haste at full electric. AMazingly they have discontinued PHEV XC40's...

With the price of their current electric offerings it's going to push them way out of the reach of a lot of their current customers (me included).

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Mine over the years, all were Volvo ex-demonstrators, bought at 6 months old:

1996 940-LPT, 5 speed manual, every optional extra added (including tow bar and seven seats!) but no air-con or sunroof which was a pain. Clutch replaced after 3 months as it was sticking. Sold after 18 months as I changed jobs and got a company car. Fuel consumption averaged 28mpg.
Volvo-940.jpg

Second (after opting not to join the company car scheme with my current employer) a 2018 V90 D4 Momentum every option APART from a tow bar so I had a fixed swan-neck fitted and a PF Jones dedicated wiring harness. An excellent car all round but trying to keep the black paint clean was a nightmare..... Fuel consumption was always in the low to mid 50's but could see 60mpg on a careful long run.
72786335_10220525088776308_4961538953254535168_n.jpg

Third (current) Volvo is a 2022 V90 B4 Momentum (petrol mild hybrid). This is the face-lifted V90 and while a lovely car, the revised infotainment Google-based centre is nowhere near as good as the previous Volvo Sensus system. I had the Volvo retractable tow bar fitted to this one. Again, an excellent tow car, average fuel consumption (solo) is around 47mpg.
v90-1.jpg

Sadly, it looks like it'll be my last Volvo estate.

Reactions: Beachball
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine over the years, all were Volvo ex-demonstrators, bought at 6 months old:

1996 940-LPT, 5 speed manual, every optional extra added (including tow bar and seven seats!) but no air-con or sunroof which was a pain. Clutch replaced after 3 months as it was sticking. Sold after 18 months as I changed jobs and got a company car. Fuel consumption averaged 28mpg.
View attachment 5252

Second (after opting not to join the company car scheme with my current employer) a 2018 V90 D4 Momentum every option APART from a tow bar so I had a fixed swan-neck fitted and a PF Jones dedicated wiring harness. An excellent car all round but trying to keep the black paint clean was a nightmare..... Fuel consumption was always in the low to mid 50's but could see 60mpg on a careful long run.
View attachment 5253

Third (current) Volvo is a 2022 V90 B4 Momentum (petrol mild hybrid). This is the face-lifted V90 and while a lovely car, the revised infotainment Google-based centre is nowhere near as good as the previous Volvo Sensus system. I had the Volvo retractable tow bar fitted to this one. Again, an excellent tow car, average fuel consumption (solo) is around 47mpg.
View attachment 5254

Sadly, it looks like it'll be my last Volvo estate.
Looks stunning enjoy

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the price of their current electric offerings it's going to push them way out of the reach of a lot of their current customers (me included).
It’s interesting that as well as Tesla reducing the price of some models, VW have just reduced the ID3 by £3k. Could the success of MG and the arrival of brands such as Ora, and BYD be putting pressure on traditional suppliers. Plus there’s a veritable raft of more upmarket brands ready to launch into the market place.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The N57 3.0 litre 6 cylinder diesel seems to have a weakness when used for high speed traffic cars. BMW maintain it is fine for normal motoring duties. Some police forces have placed operational limits on their cars.
The engine was blowing up and catching fire resulting in the death of a serving member. This happened with several or more police cars and sadly BMW and the police were aware of this issue, but sadly continue to use the vehicles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts