Sad news

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I have been having great difficulty in buying Walkers Marmite crisps. so i emailed them to enquire why they were so hard to find, only to be told they have stopped making them due to insuffiencent demand! There won't be a demand if you can't buy the

b*******y things.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Stephen, I'm not a crisp fan, but I do like Marmite, and one of my favourite dishes is mushrooms fried with Marmite. With bacon, eggs and fried bread it sets me up for the day!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Now that sounds interesting, Emmerson, for a marmite lover like myself. I'm sorry, though, I just couldn't fancy the crisps.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
mushrooms fried with Marmite. With bacon, eggs and fried bread

Like the sound of that, not sure how it fits in with the low cholestrol though, but it's on the menu on Sunday Morning

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
You either love it or hate it. Thankfully I fall into the latter group so the demise of the crisps is no great loss to me.

You can also take the smokey bacon, barbeque, chicken and all the other so called flavours. Just leave the cheese & onion alone.

G

Sad news, or sad people??

You are evidently not alone. I have just finished reading an article in a motorhome magazine on 'Wintering in Spain' Actually the article was abit disappointing as it did not tell me much that was not obvious. However, at the end it listed 'things you must not forget' from readers and top of the list was..........Marmite followed by beans (only Heinz) and then followed by a satellite dish (so he could watch the footie).

Of these only possibly the last would be on my list, however, I would include marmalade as this is difficult to get anywhere in Europe, unless it is a poor French substitute. Beans (Heinz) I purchsed in the Dordogne but Marmite reminds me of the Aussie substitute, Vegimite. I regret all I can say is ..Yeuch!

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
stephen i slice thin spuds fry in pan and brush marmite onboth sides turning wait till crisp .hope some one dont tell me about the marmite ratio is not right andi am not trained to use a frying pan lol

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson in your menu for Sunday breakfast you have forgotten to mention that old fry up favourite - laverbread. Now should you have included that in the menu you would have had the perfect meal to set you up for the day. The thought of sitting in the awning on a bright sunny Sunday having that breakfast - roll on summer.

One other tip try honey with the bacon - eat it like beef and mustard. Has to be decent honey - Lidl do a beautiful set honey and very reasonably priced.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm off to have my cholesterol-filled brekkie now. Colin, I hate to admit this, but I'm not a great fan of Laver bread! Does that make me a traitor?

And as for that AMERICAN IMPOSTER, HASH BROWNS.......YEUUUUCH!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm off to have my cholesterol-filled brekkie now. Colin, I hate to admit this, but I'm not a great fan of Laver bread! Does that make me a traitor?

And as for that AMERICAN IMPOSTER, HASH BROWNS.......YEUUUUCH!
Colin, why only Sunday?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Stephen

Your luck has just changed mate!

Tesco Cirencester are selling genuine Marmite Crisps made by Marmite's parent company , Unilever.

It seems there was a good market and maybe it has something to do with the price war on marmite betwen Walkers and Unilever.

Enjoy your tongue curling,

Cheers

Dustydog

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson sir - two points I must raise on your reply to my previous posting. First of all laverbread is good for you - plenty of iron and secondly for breakfaxt during the week I have porridge whilst on Sunday it is the good old traditional fried breakfast WITH laverbread, fried tomatos, bacon, egg, fried bread and a dollope of honey.

I will agree about hash browns - they are awful. I am also not a lover of black pudding. When we were in Ireland a few years ago they had a similar delicacy regarding taste but it was white in colour.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Stephen

Your luck has just changed mate!

Tesco Cirencester are selling genuine Marmite Crisps made by Marmite's parent company , Unilever.

It seems there was a good market and maybe it has something to do with the price war on marmite betwen Walkers and Unilever.

Enjoy your tongue curling,

Cheers

Dustydog
Tried them not a patch on walkers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And known as white pudding! I also love black pudding, but Herself hates even the thought of it, so I have to do without.

Sorry about the laver bread! If it came as part of the breakfast, then I'd eat it, but not from choice.With regard to week-day breakfast, now as winter approaches, I too will be on porridge, but if I cook it myself, then it will be the full monty, which I always get,every day, when in the van.

PS, I can do without the tomatoes, too.

G

Talking of 'wacky foods' reminds of the young person we met in the south of France, who had carefully transported some M&S mince all the way from the UK, just so she and hubby could have Shepherds Pie.

Did mention that the local Intermarche had good beef hache on sale, but as they say, there is beef, and there is M&S beef! Of course it probably reached the UK via Poland but who is counting.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Colin, You forgot to mention that the laverbread should be fried in the bacon fat. Ideally the laverbread should be with oatmeal. Oh yes, don't forget the cockles on the side!! Yumm. Butler

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Laverbread hot or cold - I'm not fussy, but yes it must be fried in bacon fat if eaten hot and include oatmeal. Cockles are a delicacy (especially if they are from Penclawdd) which should be eaten on their own and not with a good fry up. Swansea market is good for both local laverbread and cockles.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried crisp butties?

Staple food when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. Make a marmite Butty and put some plain crsips on it. Lovely

Beats me why some people won't try well cooked black pudding but they will eat the flesh such as beef, bacon (which is pigs bum), etc.

Like lots of things too much of a good thing is not good for you. Once a week, a cooked breakfast can't be that bad for you can it? Grilled bacon with the fat cut off, boiled or dry fried eggs, tomatoes (one of your 5 a day), beans, mushrooms cooked to death in some olive oil, brown bread with marg, black pudding, mmmmm.

Anyway I'm off the chippy for a chow mein and a portion of chips.

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

When going away for weekends I always buy a cooked breakfast from the burger van just near where I work.4 rashers, 1 very long sausage,2 eggs,fried toms,fried mushrooms,black pudding and 2 slices of bread. sets me up for the journey. And all plated for

Nov 14, 2006
Visit site
Reading all this talk about Marmite has made me want my favourite Marmite snack...Banana and Marmite sandwich!

Will be trying the mushrooms and Marmite this Sunday. Not sure what Lava bread is?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lavabread is a delicacy made from seaweed. It is popular in South Wales and I believe in the north west of England. Not sure if it popular else where. It is available in tins in Tesco as well as fresh in most well stocked grocery stores and market stalls. You just have to try it to appreciate the fine taste.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts